My almost top 3.

1. Dorn - I don’t like his hair

2. Sanguinius - Face looks to thin

3. Guilliman - I hate the base

My bottom 3.

1. Perturabo - Chubby cable face

2. Fulgrim - Mouth reminds me of Atomos from FF9

3. Ferrus - Hate the way he holds the hammer

Fun fact, angrons head isnt much different in width than sanguinius' I think the angel looks thinner because of the armour or rather, lack of armour at his neck.

Top-Tier

1. Alpharius. He's the only Primarch we've got with a helmet on (which is funny given how things turned out in Praetorian of Dorn) and his pose is both action-oriented and characterful. His pose speaks to me that "If I have to show myself on the battlefield, I'll make sure I've already won" (which is another in-joke for that novel).

2. Magnus the Red. A pose that speaks "I am a demigod of magic and you will not stop me." Only nitpick is that the bits that represent his psy-powers on his base look more like vines than anything supernatural to me.

3. Konrad Curze. A pose and base that fits his "King of Terrors" role very well. One look at him and you know he's very bad news.

4. Leman Russ. Very characterful and dynamic running pose showing most of his weapons without getting over-the-top.

5. Angron. Much like Leman Russ, a very good action pose and good face.

Middle of the Road

6. Sanguinius. I know they were going with a biblical theme with this mini, but Sanguinius' face doesn't look as beatific as it might have been. The fact that his sword looks a tad too short for him also takes away some of the impact of his "about to impale someone with extreme prejudice" look.

7. Horus. Excellent job by the design team to make him look both loyal and traitor. Better pose than Guilliman's.

8. Fulgrim. Very graceful and dynamic, but the face and hair put me off. Fulgrim was supposed to be a specimen of physical perfection, and I can't see that in his face or hair which look like they're being caught up in a hurricane wind. And where is the option to have him hold Fireblade instead given how much the Blade of Laer is lacking in its rules?

9. Corvus Corax. "Missed opportunity" is the name of the game here. Why can't we see him using his melee weapons? His face looks too tight as well and doesn't match the official sketches we've seen of his grimly troubled face.

10. Vulkan. The only problems I can see here are that he doesn't seem to know what to do with his left hand and his warhammer's haft is too short. Wasn't it supposed to be a two-handed weapon? How about using his blaster pistol in his left hand or his heavy flamer?

11. Roboute Guilliman. A well-suited pose for a statesman, but his sword looks more ceremonial than practical given how short it is. Where is the option for him to use dual power fists as well, like on the cover of Know No Fear? It's neither in the rules nor the mini from what I can see.

12. Perturabo. Middle of the road pose for a very-well detailed model. You can barely see his face, but perhaps it would be better if he had a helmet option. One problem I can see is that the pose would look vaguely silly if he wasn't holding Forgebreaker in his right hand.

13. Mortarion. I'm looking at his scythe and unlike the scythe used by Calas Typhon the handles look like they would just get in the way during combat. There's also no option to give him a helmet with his famous rebreather we've seen in other artwork.

Low-Tier

14. Ferrus Manus. His action pose doesn't look like one at all. It would look better if he were poised to strike instead of just in the middle of one.

15. Rogal Dorn. I'm sorry, but his pose is too sedate and his sword is too short for a Primarch, let alone the rules it's supposed to have. Couldn't FW have released him in an action pose based on the cover of Praetorian of Dorn?

16. Lorgar. The Primarch mini with the dullest pose. The only context I can think of where this pose might suit him is if he was watching his beloved city Monarchia burn because he looks unhappy and grim. Not suited for combat at all. He should have been preaching fire and brimstone to his congregation instead with at least one hand in the air, possibly about to use a psychic power.

I never liked the idea of a big unwieldy backpack for Ferrus. It just doesn't fit the descriptions of how he likes to fight, leading from the front as a very melee focused tank, lives for testing his physical prowess against other worthy foes etc   If i ever get the model it will definitely be getting left out of a final build. I suppose at least it's better than the original depiction on the Fulgrim cover where he fought with a monkey wrench and had a big oil drum on his back.

I never liked the idea of a big unwieldy backpack for Ferrus. It just doesn't fit the descriptions of how he likes to fight, leading from the front as a very melee focused tank, lives for testing his physical prowess against other worthy foes etc   If i ever get the model it will definitely be getting left out of a final build. I suppose at least it's better than the original depiction on the Fulgrim cover where he fought with a monkey wrench and had a big oil drum on his back.

The unwieldy backpack for Ferrus is supposed to represent his ties to the Mechanicus, right? The Mechanicus guys have servo-arms and all sorts of cybernetic limbs coming out of their backs. It happens that Ferrus' backpack is his main method of repairing vehicles and contains all his various guns, which leaves open the question of why Ferrus didn't just shoot Fulgrim down from a distance since both know that Fulgrim is the better swordsman. The rules even encourage it.

Personally I'd like to see Ferrus get an extra attack and a defensive WS bonus for when he's using just his fists so they can count as two close combat weapons--he could punch holes in tanks for crying out loud without any external aid, and he could also block blows with them without much harm.

Yeah it's emphasising the tech-maestro side of the character and i can see why they went with something like that for tabletop. In the background for him though, you get the feeling that is much more of an off the battlefield side to him, at least from what has been written so far.

Fulgrim was using Forgebreaker when they fought at the dropsite btw, it was Ferrus using Fireblade. McNeil actually makes a point in the first fight for Forgebreaker not being an ideal weapon for duels when Fulgrim gets the upper hand using Fireblade. He's consistent in that with Ferrus winning the second until Fulgrim makes his last ditch block with the Laer blade.

Yeah it's emphasising the tech-maestro side of the character and i can see why they went with something like that for tabletop. In the background for him though, you get the feeling that is much more of an off the battlefield side to him, at least from what has been written so far.

Fulgrim was using Forgebreaker when they fought at the dropsite btw, it was Ferrus using Fireblade. McNeil actually makes a point in the first fight for Forgebreaker not being an ideal weapon for duels when Fulgrim gets the upper hand using Fireblade. He's consistent in that with Ferrus winning the second until Fulgrim makes his last ditch block with the Laer blade.

Nice that the FW rules reflect what you're saying. Forgebreaker isn't actually the best duellist's weapon outside of Ferrus' hands.  But Ferrus' headstrong nature caused him to lose his head in the end; something Ferrus should have learned is that "dying with your boots on" is still dead.

I don't want helmets.

I want flexible joints and inbuild sound effects.

You know, if enough kids (or action figure enthusiasts) got into 40k or 30k, GW might just be persuaded to make action figures of primarchs with digital voice clips. The most obvious choice would be Guilliman with Mark Strong's voice clips from the Space Marine game. They based Guilliman's official sketch on Mark Strong's face anyway.

Why does everyone want helmets? they're supposed to be centre piece models.

Because helmets make them look more professional, for one thing. Bare heads are for parades and face-to-face meetings (that you're sure that the Alpha Legion or Raven Guard haven't infiltrated). Helmets are for when you need to get down to business. Well-designed helmets also help to make them look larger-than-life and more realistic in a battle situation. Check out this nice-looking conversion of Fulgrim with a helmet.

sGIPLLy.jpg

Although that helmet actually make the model looks awesome it is quit ironic that you use the term 'realistic' and then post a dude with a helmet which is so unrealistic because it is so freakin' dangerous to the wearer. :D

There is a reason why people never wore stupid stuff like helms with horns you know.

But still... Fulgrim looks great with that helmet, I give you that. And after all he is so tall that noone can hit those wings and break his neck doing it anyway. ;)

I don't want helmets.

I want flexible joints and inbuild sound effects.

You know, if enough kids (or action figure enthusiasts) got into 40k or 30k, GW might just be persuaded to make action figures of primarchs with digital voice clips. The most obvious choice would be Guilliman with Mark Strong's voice clips from the Space Marine game. They based Guilliman's official sketch on Mark Strong's face anyway.

Why does everyone want helmets? they're supposed to be centre piece models.

Because helmets make them look more professional, for one thing. Bare heads are for parades and face-to-face meetings (that you're sure that the Alpha Legion or Raven Guard haven't infiltrated). Helmets are for when you need to get down to business. Well-designed helmets also help to make them look larger-than-life and more realistic in a battle situation. Check out this nice-looking conversion of Fulgrim with a helmet.

sGIPLLy.jpg

as a military man myself, I know that in reality, helmets would be worn by all, but these models are supposed to be aesthetic Centre pieces. I've never come across primarchs wearing lids in the novels either, except for the khan.

Off the top of my head (excuse the pun), Fulgrim, the Khan and Vulkan all wear helmets at some stage during the novels. I'm pretty sure Lorgar does too, but I can't be 100% sure.

Also, the Lion has the 'Lion helmet' :P

Personally I'm a big fan of bare heads on characters and Primarchs (people seem to forget just how tough Primarchs are. Shoot one in the face and you'll probably just piss him off...). That Fulgrim conversion is nice, but I still haven't see a Fulgrim with helmet that I think looks as good as his bare head. People just don't like painting faces :P

I'm ambivalent on the helmet thing.

On one hand I tend to think they look cooler and I lean towards the "practical" side of things, even with my IX Legion. On the other hand, Rule of Cool has corrupted me enough in the 40k setting that I imagine there's a bunch of hand-wavy reasons why dudes wouldn't wear helmets in combat. Heck, Guilliman doesn't wear one in outer freakin' space in Know No Fear. If that wasn't a subtle jab/hint from an author, I don't know what was.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if back in the day people used to take their helms off in the battlefield when they fought duels. Partially to make sure they were fighting the right person, partially to show they were a-scared of a-nothing. If human history has teaches us anything it's that emotional and/or illogical decisions seem like the right idea at the time. US soldiers in 'Nam sitting on their helmets while in helicopters, for example. Why would you ever leave you're head unprotected?

To pretend staying on topic: Alpharius. The only one with helmet. And his armour is great.

Off the top of my head (excuse the pun), Fulgrim, the Khan and Vulkan all wear helmets at some stage during the novels. I'm pretty sure Lorgar does too, but I can't be 100% sure.

People just don't like painting faces :tongue.:

Yes, I don't like my center piece models to be ruined by my lack of face painting skills. But I also don't like them ruined by FW dubious head sculpting skills. Sanguinius, Corax, Fulgrim would all look better with hemets for me, because over dynamic poses with hair flying everywhere do not look good, they only stress the frozen-in-time part of every miniature.

I'm ambivalent on the helmet thing.

On one hand I tend to think they look cooler and I lean towards the "practical" side of things, even with my IX Legion. On the other hand, Rule of Cool has corrupted me enough in the 40k setting that I imagine there's a bunch of hand-wavy reasons why dudes wouldn't wear helmets in combat. Heck, Guilliman doesn't wear one in outer freakin' space in Know No Fear. If that wasn't a subtle jab/hint from an author, I don't know what was.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if back in the day people used to take their helms off in the battlefield when they fought duels. Partially to make sure they were fighting the right person, partially to show they were a-scared of a-nothing. If human history has teaches us anything it's that emotional and/or illogical decisions seem like the right idea at the time. US soldiers in 'Nam sitting on their helmets while in helicopters, for example. Why would you ever leave you're head unprotected?

I don't think that anyone would take his helmet off for fighting. It's just encouraging the other dude to aim for the head. If you need better visibility you change the helmet but not drop it altogether. Even in middle ages, where the knight-fights could be likened to serries of duels, as a rule you recognized the enemy by his armour (works also for antiquity) and heraldy. Taking helmet off made sense for commanders only to calm the troops. It is a reoccuring story that false news about commander's death cause panic and in order to get them back to fighting he takes of his helmet and goes through the ranks to show that he is alive. But this is of course not the case for we-shall-know-no-fear space warriors and easily recognizable by their hight and armour Primarchs.

Only the Wolves can be excused: http://www.wobblymodelsyndrome.com/uploads/3/3/4/2/3342427/489368_orig.jpg

yup, the SW have long hair and beards to get in the way, same as any legionary who grows his hair longer than ear length, so dark angels, blood angels. White scars and SOH have their topknots to deal with. and god knows how a world eater would get a helmet over their butchers nails, without every helmt being custom. they just wouldnt be comfortable to wear.

yup, the SW have long hair and beards to get in the way, same as any legionary who grows his hair longer than ear length, so dark angels, blood angels. White scars and SOH have their topknots to deal with. and god knows how a world eater would get a helmet over their butchers nails, without every helmt being custom. they just wouldnt be comfortable to wear.

I always thought that those nails where inside the head and not on top. The novells say as much, no?

I always thought that those nails where inside the head and not on top. The novells say as much, no?

Well on the models (Khârn and Angry) theyre represented as dreadlock like cables which enter the head just above the scalp. The only description I remember from the novels is in Outcast dead. I cant remember the exact quote but its something along the lines of..'The back of his head was a mess of pig iron' or something to that effect.

I love long haired marines nearly as much as i hate painting their faces (think about Primaris Reivers with long hair - Winter Soldier crossed with Immortan Joe in space). And i always imagined Blood Angels long haired, but as a matter of fact, with exception of Sanguinius, Mephiston and Astorath, every single dedicated BA model without helmet has short hair, both in 30k and 40k - I never paid attention to how BL tackles the issue. Maybe it has something to due with possible problems with long hair, but i think even with neck length hair it would be possible to go with helmet if one wears this special hood, like Solar Auxilia (or medieval knights). But yes, I agree that Sanguinius and Corax could have issues with helmets.

And are SoH knots their actual hair? Or what about Eidolon? Cause i thought that it's sort of a crest. They have to be able to fight in the void, right?

I think again its just issues of rule of cool versus what you'd expect the reality to be.

Abaddons topknot is his real hair I believe, but theres no way you could get all that hair contained and into a fully sealed helmet without a great deal of fuss. Same with Eidolons hipster esque skrillex hair.

hair any longer than neck length would be a pain as the hair at the front could be pressed over the forehead and irritate the eyes. 

I always imagined blood angels with romanesque short hair, but then I guess the blueberries and bananas favour that sort of hair too.

1. Alpharius

2. Sanguinius

3. Horus

4. Fulgrim

5. Lorgar

6. Guiliman 

7. Dorn

The ones I rather tend to dislike are Magnus and Perturabo. 

And Corax sits at the bottom of the ladder for me ... every time I see the face on this sculpt it makes me wanna cry.

Archived