Relic Blade vs. Power Fist

zero88

Now that they are the same price which one catches your fancy? Both seem to balance out very similar (which is a good thing). The blade hits more, but the Fist wounds better against most things except T3 and T5, and the Fist is dramatically better vs standard Vehicles (T7). So the fist can take on more of a variety of targets, but hitting on 2s and wounding on 2s lets Relic blades cut through chaff quicker and avoid getting bogged down. So what say you?

The main issue with relic blade is that it cannot be taken with a shield. If you could do that it be far more worth considering. It’s not bad per say it’s just hamstring when in it’s compared to the Fist.

You come up against this a lot in Age of Sigmar. A lot of the different weapons you can choose for your units have the same stats but to hit and to wound reversed so you just choose the weapons based on which stats you can buff the most.

If you are playing a friendly game and you know what you are playing against it's easy to choose which one. If you need to choose either of the two as an all rounder:

If you have re-rolls to hit I'd go the fist as you have a better range of targets you can be effective against

If no re-rolls I'd go the Blade over the Fist as you should get more hits on average.

If it's going on a character that will see little to no combat in a game I'd get a cheaper weapon.

Rerolls apply before modifiers so it's not as simple as AoS though. A power fist, even on a Captain and with rerolls to hit, still misses on rolls of 2s.

I like a good old Relic Blade. I roll plenty of 2s to hit! Of course I do roll 2s for wounds too.

Now that they are the same price which one catches your fancy? Both seem to balance out very similar (which is a good thing). The blade hits more, but the Fist wounds better against most things except T3 and T5, and the Fist is dramatically better vs standard Vehicles (T7). So the fist can take on more of a variety of targets, but hitting on 2s and wounding on 2s lets Relic blades cut through chaff quicker and avoid getting bogged down. So what say you?

A Captain/LT is going to be hard pressed to make his points back killing chaff, Relic Blade or not.  I'll always go with the Power Fist over a Relic Blade to maximize the quality of his attacks against more valuable units.

Rerolls apply before modifiers so it's not as simple as AoS though. A power fist, even on a Captain and with rerolls to hit, still misses on rolls of 2s.

I like a good old Relic Blade. I roll plenty of 2s to hit! Of course I do roll 2s for wounds too.

Yep I know but I roll more 1s than 2s :P you could say my response is biased

I play a BA Smash Captain and even with all the amazing buffs sometimes he just whiffs unless he has the Hammer of Baal. Power fists are risky and only d3 damage... which is not good at all. I like relic blade over the power fist but based upon experience the Thunderhammer-Stormshield combination is the way to go in my opinion for a character such as a Captain.

For a Vanguard sarge, relic blade.

Hitting on 4s without a native reroll just isn't worth it, but hitting on 3s with relic blade attacks is solid coming from a sarge.

For a character that wants to be in melee, it's worth the extra points to go up to the Thunder Hammer, as flat 3 damage is so much better than D3.

For someone like a lieutenant who can't take a relic blade, but also isn't always wanting to jump into melee without a native invuln, a fist would be a solid middle ground option.

Cheaper than the hammer, but still works in a pinch.

I wish more things had access to master crafted power weapons.

As those would be perfect for melee sergeants.

For Captains always Fist > Relic blade crunch-wise just because it utilizes his WS and amount of attacks better and also because it lets you bring a Strom shield as well. However if you go with that loadout you should definitely go with a Thunderhammer instead if you have the points since it's just so much better than a fist.

For Sergeants I'd prefer the Relic blade since hitting on 4+ is really not that great and they don't really need the Stormshield when you already have other models with shields in the unit.

Archived