Isolationist nomadic Chapters: who are they?

Dosjetka

Good evening folks,

I'm looking for Chapters that operate exclusively from their Chapter fleet and who tend to mind their own business, not be open to other Imperial organisations or even their brothers-in-arms from other Chapters.

The first Chapter that springs to mind are the infamous Carcharodons but that's it at the moment. Are there any other similar Space Marine Chapters out there?

Thank you for your help. :tu:

Edit: Abhor the typo.

Still existing and active chapters or just in general? Knights of Blood would fit your description tho officially they don't exist anymore after the events of Devastation of Baal. I guess that goes for most or even all Chapters that got declared renegade by the inquisition but remained loyal to the imperium still actually.

Raven Guard and Iron Hands are quite isolationist considering the 1st founding legions. Both generally operate alone and are usually quite introverted regarding cooperation when operating with others. Neither are fleet based however.

Black Templars fit your description other than the nomadic part I guess.

Terra is listed as the homeworld of the Imperial Fists, but that's more of an honorific. The Phalanx is their true "homeworld" and makes them nomadic. However, they are not isolationist in any sense of the word, disqualifying them from Chaplain Dosjetka's criteria.

I would definitely consider the Black Templars to be "nomadic," but they don't appear to be isolationists. They participated in the Third War for Armageddon, with the High Marshal leading the combined fleet efforts.

The Star Phantoms are both fleet-based and (somewhat) isolationist. They have found themselves at odds with other organizations of the Imperium, including other Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes.

Would the Dark Angels be on this list? They shun working with everyone and even the first and second companies keep secrets from the rest of their chapter etc.

The Dark Angels work closely with the other Unforgiven Chapters, though.

Hi Brother Chaplain, this is a sincere answer, if also a bit meta: Blood Ravens.

The Blood Ravens (from the Dawn of War computer games) are the most famous Chapter that never interacted with any one else in canon.  While Dark Angels are much more well known, they show up to everything (if only to withdraw in the midst of battle like on Vigilis).  The Blood Ravens, on the other hand, have never been recorded in any official records, except a brief cameo alongside Ultramarine Captain Titus...who appeared to have been stricken from all records by the Inquisition (in the Space Marine video game).  It is therefore especially curious that they somehow managed to have many other Chapter's prized relics.

Of course, there's a real world reason for all this, Blood Ravens were created by a third party licensing the 40k IP, so they're utterly separate.  However, precisely because of this arrangement, they are possibly the most isolated Chapter that is also, however, well-known to the player-base.

The Blood Ravens, on the other hand, have never been recorded in any official records, except a brief cameo alongside Ultramarine Captain Titus...who appeared to have been stricken from all records by the Inquisition (in the Space Marine video game).

1d4chan's articles suggests Titus is from an alternate universe where he's chosen as Captain of 4th Company (whose colors he bears) instead of Uriel Ventris. I think the video game developers revealed in an interview (taken after their studio closed, preventing them from making a sequel) they intended for Titus to be named Master of a newly founded Chapter in a later game.

I'm almost certain chaplain Dosjetka isn't interested in BT but...

Black templars are fairly nomadic, by every account given they are a fleet based chapter with no designated homeworld. Tho they build chapter keeps on every world they conquer, they abandon them frequently and periodically return to them. (IRL Nomadic cultures sometimes returned to previous locations cyclically with the seasons, but that's another matter)

The Black Templars are, like most chapters to be honest, isolationist and independent. That's the nature of chapters to begin with. I believe the templars are a bit standoffish and abbrassive compared to most chapters. Their distrust of other organizations and disregard for the sovereignty of many imperial factions is notable, if not utterly unique.

The 3rd war for armageddon was mentioned as evidence they were cooperative.

From the 3rd WfA. There is the whole "get out of my city" moment. As well as Helbrecht taking comand of the combined space marine fleets. (I don't really see "I'm in charge" as being "cooperative" do y'all?)

They are certainly not as extreme as the charcharodons. And are at least comparably as contentious with the imperial hegemony as the space wolves are. The templars did besiege the ecclesiarchy on Terra once, and used to have a poor alliance status with the Sisters in 6th edition BRB (prior to 6th Ed codex SM). BT also aren't on the best terms with the inquisition (but who is really?) regarding suspicions of legion building (we totally are... I mean nothing to see here)

Anyways. My 2 cents. dosjetka surely knows all of this plus all the details but Incase anybody didn't. Well there are my points...

I would counter the arguments for the Black Templars being isolationist with the evidence from Helsreach. In that, it is demonstrated that the Black Templars have some level of relationship with the other scions of the VIIth Legion, actively assisting the Celestial Lions in recovering from the events that befell them upon Armageddon. Also, the Black Templars participate in the Feast of Blades. And then there is the willingness to cooperate with other Chapters as demonstrated by the Ophidium Gulf Crusade (later speculated events notwithstanding).

:wink:

I think that "autonomous" is a more apt descriptor of the Black Templars and other Adeptus Astartes Chapters.

Yeah, we're not isolationist. Helbrecht took control because he knew he was the best man for the job. He wanted the fleet to work as well as it could under the best leader available. Not because he didn't want to cooperate. He worked extremely closely with Admiral Parole his navy counterpart.

The Beast Arises is a good example as well, we were at the forefront of The Last Wall, and formed part of the new IF chapter.

I agree that the Black Tempalrs are not an isolationist Chapter, and neither are the Imperial Fists.

The Death Spectres, if I remember correctly, are based on a space station and so wouldn't fit the "nomad" criteria.

Thank you for all the replies and input so far. :tu:

Not sure if they have gotten substantial new fluff post-great rift, but the modern mantis warriors likely fit. 

They were a secretive chapter beforehand, and have been reduced to fleet-based, stripped of all their planetary holdings as punishment for the badab war. 

Archived