Are there any points in the CA18 character creation rules?

Axineton

In CA2018 there’s a custom character creation section. My question is: are there any points involved or how many points would they cost to take because I can’t see points value anywhere for them. Or is it because it’s for open play and points don’t matter here? If I’m being thick just tell me

In CA2018 there’s a custom character creation section. My question is: are there any points involved or how many points would they cost to take because I can’t see points value anywhere for them. Or is it because it’s for open play and points don’t matter here? If I’m being thick just tell me

No points since it's not for Matched Play. Just take whatever you want.

It's more like giving points values would require GW to do some actual balancing to justify those points. Looking at the possible combinations they clearly didn't do any playtesting since they don't really care about whether it'll be balanced or not. Hence why it's only for Open Play and Narrative Play.

I was listening to a podcast discussing this and they made a point I agreed with which was for X amount of traits picked add Y amount of PL to the model. No points since it is Open/Narrative, but the PL suggestions might help to give a rough idea where the model should sit in relation to other models and units.

But also, adding points to it would be borderline impossible because it's a generic system for every army, and certain characters in certain factions will benefit more from some rules that synergise with their units moreso than other characters in other factions.

You can see examples of this disparity already in the way that certain weapons are costed differently in different Codexes, and sometimes even for different units within a Codex.

If you want to use it in your games, I’d suggest just say each player gets to pick 3 or 5 traits or whatever to sprinkle through their army. I imagine most people would be cool with that unless they are practicing for a tournament or something.

Archived