Complete FW Custodes Rules (Beta, Official)

Rinion

On the bucklers, it's worth remembering that blocking ap-1 is very powerful for Custodes. They have a 2+ base and a 4++ invulnerable to fall back on, so by blocking -1 it means you'll never have to roll a 3+.

Very good against Crons, Primaris etc.

On the bucklers, it's worth remembering that blocking ap-1 is very powerful for Custodes. They have a 2+ base and a 4++ invulnerable to fall back on, so by blocking -1 it means you'll never have to roll a 3+.

Very good against Crons, Primaris etc.

Yeah, if it became an option on a unit with a 2+ save it will be really nice. Shame the Venatari are 3+.

Anyone have any opinions on load out and squad sice for venatari? Pistol/buckler seem like the initial go to.

Yeah, if it became an option on a unit with a 2+ save it will be really nice. Shame the Venatari are 3+.

Anyone have any opinions on load out and squad sice for venatari? Pistol/buckler seem like the initial go to.

I'm going to for 1 pistol and buckler for the improved durability and 2 spears, I don't expect my squad to be far away from their targets ever so not worried about the extra range, and the extra hits on 6's is way to unreliable when you are only rolling 6 dice for a 3 man squad. Also the spears mean I can go and punch anything and put a hole in it.

I'm going deepstrike the squad in cover or out of Los of a target and swoop round next turn and smash them up, or I'll drop on an objective if it's vital to capture it. Lots of complaints levelled at these guys but I think they will be solid.

I've decided that I'll try magnetise the dudes when I get them. The 18" range on the pistols means they can mostly lurk outside rapid-fire range. But I like having the option of going full melee lance mode if need be.

Otherwise, I've started drawing up feedback already based on my quick tests so far. I'll pad it out over time before sending, but already I've got a higher S on the Galatus sword, as well as S8 on the Telemon's railguns.

Potentially, also reducing the Adrathics (and Sagittarum beam) to 12" but making them all 3 damage. Also making the bike adrathic 18", Assault 2 but 3 damage flat (or else keeping it heavy but finding a way to compensate for the -1, such as a points drop).

Any other experiences so far?

Got in my first game with the new bet rules on Saturday. It was a 1500 point list for a highlander event. I tried out the Caladius with the Heavy Blaze Cannon, a Pallas, a squad of Aquillon terminators and a 5 man Sagittarum squad. I was playing against a guard Leman Russ list with some infantry.

Both of my tanks were able to kill Pask turn one, the AP-4 and flat 3 damage meant he got no save and was just removed. I have my doubts that these tanks will be as effective against most other big things as big things tend to have invulns. I think the Accelerator cannon is going to be superior in virtually every situation and its cheaper to boot. The power of the machine spirit on all of the tanks is a god send though. It means they can move up with the -1 to hit banner and Trajann without having to worry about heavy weapons penalty.

The Aquilon Custodians I kitted out for anti-infantry work with the firepike and claws. They did a decent job at killing the infantry, but the Sagittarum did it better and I felt like I had plenty of anti-infantry. I am going to try and going full tank busters next time with fists and Adrathic Destructors.

The Sagittarum did really good stuff. They put out a ton of shots at a decent range and can even advance and still shoot so they are surprisingly fast. They killed most of the opponents infantry in the first couple of turns. They are also a prime target to spend spare points on for misericordia since it makes them decent in melee too. Unfortunately I never got to try out the disintegration beams but I will be very interesting in seeing they perform in future games.

Holy moly do 5 man saggitarum squads parked with a captain shred. I am considering running them with valoris inside a hover tank. Once they are out they do so much work on flak bodies which is a huge thing I deal with against orks tau fire warrior spam and cultists.

Would you say they earn back their points in that role? I’m interested in getting some but in my mind I’m struggling to see how to best get my points worth.

Holy moly do 5 man saggitarum squads parked with a captain shred. I am considering running them with valoris inside a hover tank. Once they are out they do so much work on flak bodies which is a huge thing I deal with against orks tau fire warrior spam and cultists.

Would you say they earn back their points in that role? I’m interested in getting some but in my mind I’m struggling to see how to best get my points worth.

I’m still mixed feelings about them in 40k. I always take a squad in 30k just for the anti tank punch and volume of fire. My last game I had I was against a tzaangor bomb and mass cultists blob. Never mind. If you take a misercordia they’ll shred them just as much as the Spears with added punch power.

I’ll just have to try them out a few games.

The 30K Sag being FAQed to have the Assault type on their gun goes a long ways to making them unterrible (shame they don't score, still).

I just picked up a Custodian Guard kit so when my FW order arrives I'll be able to get a sqaud built, and am looking forward to them for 40K use.

Only played one game against ork bike spam. Was a small 1200pointer. They did very very good work.

Blaze weapons re-rolling to wound is suuuuper nice and flat 3 damage is always a god send. Still annoying Custodes are seriously lacking in D6 weaponry though, especially at long range.

For the cheapness though, multiple Pallas might be an excellent choice - fast, durable, flexible, doesn't degrade and can also tie up things with a charge if need be!

Excited to get the Caladius with Heavy Blaze out for a spin though, that is a seriously great all-rounder tank with not too much trouble if it starts to hurt due to sheer weight of fire.

I just don't see myself running the blaze. Having valoris nearby should be easy as pie now that we have potms so str8 retooling 1s is just more diverse with higher dps I believe. 8 shots compared to 2 even with one lower str is a significant amount of more hits and chances to wound.

I will run some math against the Russ tanks to check.

I just don't see myself running the blaze. Having valoris nearby should be easy as pie now that we have potms so str8 retooling 1s is just more diverse with higher dps I believe. 8 shots compared to 2 even with one lower str is a significant amount of more hits and chances to wound.

I will run some math against the Russ tanks to check.

Math me. Educate me.

Archived