Primaris Vanguard

There are very big changes coming down the pipe if you buy into the most recent Chapter Tactics podcast. Which I do. Some of the FLG staff are beta-testers and it was mentioned in all seriousness that Space Marines are getting some meta-changing material during this years competitive tournament cycle. So much so that Brandon Grant was talking about possibly changing from Militarium to Astartes as he chatted with the beta-tester. 

We are in the middle of putting together a complex puzzle, but only being allowed to see disconnected pieces one bit at a time.

While we are getting more Primaris releases, what we have seen so far is not directly replacing existing marine units (except maybe scouts).  It's almost as if GW is actually sticking to its statement of marines aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't get why people are so keen to see Primaris as a separate codex either.  Surely it's better to have all the choice. If you want just Primaris, then only take them.  It's not hard.

So far Primaris seem to be designed around a gunline and a few deep strike and shoot units.  If I wanted to play that, I'd buy Tau or Eldar. :yucky:

It does look wonky but I'll hold judgement until I see the model. Honestly my first thought about that as a model was 'storage and transportation is going to suck'. Might have to cut the barrel off somehow to magnetize it for transporting.

Pin the flying stand, it works well on my inceptors

I'm not worried about pinning the model to the stand, I was concerned about fitting the model into a foam tray with that big gun sticking out.

Also, regarding the model holding their pistols two handed with rifles slung on their shoulder... I did it first :biggrin.:

ThTVddq.jpg

I'm not worried about pinning the model to the stand, I was concerned about fitting the model into a foam tray with that big gun sticking out.

Also, regarding the model holding their pistols two handed with rifles slung on their shoulder... I did it first :biggrin.:

ThTVddq.jpg

That looks really cool, however, the multipart intercessors box can do that I think from looking at the models.

That looks really cool, however, the multipart intercessors box can do that I think from looking at the models.

I think it can, but this was a conversion from my DI box. And I put reiver arms on him so he's got a better looking pistol and his left will be holding a power sword.

Back on topic I love this box but I'm waffling on picking it up. I'm wondering if I should wait for full kits to come out with more weapon options...

I guess I'll still take 2 box parts. Considering around here, there's just a 5€ difference between box part online and a single box of intercessors at the local store. I recently bought my first multi-part inceptors and aggressors...these are fixed in pose just as the DI ones. If I hadn't needed plasma instead of bolters, it wouldn't have been worth it.

I'm very torn on whether or not I'm going to pick up the box. I want it because it fits my Army's theme PERFECTLY but... making presumptions based on Warhammer40k Facebook comment replies and knowing what happened with the DI kits I'm wondering I should wait and pick up individual boxes. I don't have the time/money to buy this and then pick up extra kits or source bits from eBay to get all the weapon options.

I can easily see the Supressors getting more options in a full kit and it wouldn't surprise me if the Infiltrators and/or Eliminators have a couple more options in a full kit. I'm hoping this week's previews will help to make that a little more clear.

I really want the Psyker (because I don't have a single Psyker) so I can participate in that phase of the game and the HQ's seem really cool as well.

I guess I'll still take 2 box parts. Considering around here, there's just a 5€ difference between box part online and a single box of intercessors at the local store. I recently bought my first multi-part inceptors and aggressors...these are fixed in pose just as the DI ones. If I hadn't needed plasma instead of bolters, it wouldn't have been worth it.

Kinda my thoughts too most of the multi part Primaris kits are marginally more posable and optional than the monobuild ones. Instead of 2 kits I'll probably just get 1 to bulk out the force and get the multipart ones later

The only models from DI that I didnt like vs the multipart was the bolter inceptors which I dont run aways...

Nothing wrong with one box of ETB models. They look great as they are. It only becomes problematic if you want to kitbash things and/or want to have more of those units and are bothered by having multiple times the exact same model in your army.

In the main vanguard thread there is a picture of the sprues and they look very monopose. Torso's with a leg attached, arms holding wepaons already. They aren't ETB but they are for sure monopose unless you want to cut and Green Stuff.

pZ189oghg_I.jpg

The WH40k FB team has been saying regularly to questions that the models will be similar to the Dark Imperium models

Take that as you will 

It is different to some of the recent boxsets, however this set is about introducing a new range as opposed to offering a discount on an existing one

Which based on recent experience it wouldn't be unheard of it to be easy to build

Now that the librarian powers are out - they mostly look usable, this will be fun. Untargetable infiltrator/reiver squads, halving the movement distance of enemy units (stacks with TFC strat?!?) and even a power to inflict another -1 to hit.

This will be bonkers in our Urban Conquest campaign...-1 to hit because RG. -1 to hit by obscured model. -1 to hit by psychic power. Infiltrating troops that might become entirely untargetable, and/or rerolling to hit while removing cover.

As mentioned, even with monopose models, I'll probably take 2 boxes. The multipart are not that more posable, and these guys will become at least half of my go-to troops choices. I might add suppressors silencers though, as the carbines don't look sneaky enough...

Link to the new Obscuration powers - https://imgur.com/gallery/C1ruCO3

Wonder if the Tenebrous Curse (half movement) works with the Tempesta one - Jaws of the World Wolf - Roll 2D6. Target unit suffers a mortal wound for each point rolled above its Move.

Could smash a unit of Obliterators (or equivalent) for an average of 5 Mortal Wounds with that.

Edited by ambit

Hrmm interesting how all the buffs only effect Phobos armour...

It is interesting, because they all are pretty strong powers. But because they are restricted to moderate units (jn terms of damage), none really feel super strong.

I think the Curse is strong, as is the Mind Raid (and Guide+, especially with a 10-Man blob of Infiltrators for proc'ing their innate 6's to hit). I feel the silent sleeper might be the Move+Advance twice strat though. Slingshotting units around the board for capping objectives is strong.

Also they are all very easy to cast.