Deathwatch...30k Counts As?!

exsanguis

Hey guys,

So due to kids I don't have much time/money to focus on my hobby anymore. I've got a hard choice to make as I can only really dedicate myself to one army full time now (including future releases obviously). With the slow demise of 30k in my city (and being stuck in an old rule set to boot), I find myself torn between a 40k army, most likely DW, or just sucking it up and sticking with 30k which is what really interests me.

However, thanks to the wonders of CA, I believe I can get the best of both worlds doing a good old fashioned counts as army. My thoughts so far:

• Alpha Legion - lots of Vet Squads with bolters, with maybe some Scion/IG allies
  • Ultramarines - Breacher Squads using Vets with bolters and storm shields supported by Dreads
  • Iron Warriors - My personal favourite out of all of them. Breacher Squads again but supported by "Havocs" (5-man Vet Squad with 4x Missile Launcher) and Tyrants (5-man TDA with 3x Cyclones). Maybe ally in an IG battalion with Basilisks to keep the theme?

Obviously that's just the tip of the iceberg. But I really dig the idea of using the very flexible DW as a 30k counts as force. Here's my draft list for Iron Warriors for giggles:

Deathwatch Battalion

Watchmaster - Warlord (Nowhere to Hide)

Watch Captain - Thunder Hammer, Storm Bolter, Jump Pack

10x Vets - Sgt & Black Shield with SS/Axe, 2x Vets with Plasma Guns/SS, 6x Vets with Bolter/SS

10x Vets - Sgt & Black Shield with SS/Axe, 2x Vets with Plasma Guns/SS, 6x Vets with Bolter/SS

5x Vets - Sgt with Bolter/SS, 4x Vets with Missile Launchers

Notes: Watchmaster provides re-rolls for "Havoc" Vets and the Tyrants in Vanguard detachment. Smash Cap babysits the "Breacher" gunline.

Deathwatch Vanguard

Watch Captain - TDA, Storm Bolter with Bane Bolts, Chainfist

5x Terminators - Sgt with Power Fist/Storm Bolter, 1x TDA with Axe/SB, 3x TDA with CML, Axes & SB

5x Terminators - Sgt with Power Fist/Storm Bolter, 1x TDA with Axe/SB, 3x TDA with CML, Axes & SB

Ven Dread - Twin Las/Missile Launcher

Notes: Ven Dread hangs back with the Havocs and WM. Watch Captain and friends either teleport into a juicy spot or start on the field.

IG Battalion

Loyal 32

1x Basilisk

1x Basilisk

Seems pretty fluffy, and hopefully relatively dangerous for my semi-comp/casual gaming group. I would hand wave the special issue ammo away as tactics or the IW being particularly good craftsmen etc. I guess thematically the SIA fits the Alpha Legion more, but the idea of a Vet/Breacher coutns as army intrigues me!

Thoughts on how this could be improved, or am I crazy? Thanks!

Archived