Corax Lord of shadows primarch novel

godking

Solid primrach book, nails a few concepts ommited by gav. I really liked an iea of political/social situation on Kiavahr. I think it makes comparison between Corax and Roboute quite obvious: Corax being revolutionary and freedom fighter with head full of ideals. He thinks that by destroying opressors he's setting things right, but unfortunately real work begins after bloody deeds are done. On the other hand Guilliman, conquers and builds anew, he's more "mature" and experienced about how society and people work and instead of "I give you freedom- deal with it", guides people in the new direction. Of course point can be made that Guilliman was raised by a statesman, king and Corax was found in less favorable circumstances. I agree:)

After watching Romance of 3 Kingdoms on youtube (JUST GREAT, now the book) Corax reminds me a bit of Liu Bei with his righteousness and moral high ground. And like Liu Bei these virtues makes him sometimes blind to the wider picture. Haley gives us a real solid picture of the XIX primarch, I love him.

I also liked differences between Mechanicum and Tech guild (scene with techpriest exorcising machines instead of fixing them lol).

Guilliman has always been somebody deeply engaged in the social, administrative works of his (father's) empire. He was lucky in that he had somebody fair and generous be his mentor and father figure, whereas Corvus grew up in captivity, in darkness, with wardens swinging whips at his friends, who hated their tormentors. Where Roboute learned how society can and should function with the least degree of injustice possible, and was able to work on from what his father had built and improve on it, Corax really never learned anything about rebuilding, only about uprising, organizing cells and how to hit vulnerable spots in the established system.

By the time he brought "peace" to his world (and moon), he had nuked the other side hiroshima-style, at the cost of civilian lives, and not long after, the Emperor showed up to pick him up. Corvus Corax remained as a savior figure with statues and what not around, but let go of the reins so quickly, he never had to get engage in rebuilding efforts. To his mind, he solved the injustices by taking down the tyrants and freeing the slaves. His guerrilla war was over where Guilliman's efforts would only just begin. He was moved right to the greater task, taking down other tyrants in the galaxy, rather than sticking around and crafting lasting solutions to old problems.

This kind of holds true after Isstvan V as well. Yes, Corax was made for that kind of guerrilla war. That's his thing. But he also, again, neglected Deliverance. He neglected keeping an eye on the guilds and mechanicum. He got so hung up on reentering the fight against Horus, he got primarch-level tunnel vision. He didn't even bother handling the Primarch Project material himself, instead handing it off to his sons. He wasn't even aware of the friction between his two closest sons.

Even his military actions during Deliverance Lost and later, in Soulforge, Ravenlord and Weregeld, were all rather showy. In every one of them he tried proving a point, making a spectacle, either through showcasing his new astartes, proving he can handle stuff with a tiny amount of his legion, or by storming in on his own (and getting his butt handed to him...). He is extremely arrogant (Raven's Flight comes to mind, where he asks his *bodyguard* if he really thinks Corax has any need for a bodyguard in the first place) and his actions throughout the Heresy show it.

At his core, Corvus has always been a hypocrite. On one hand, he'll tell his subordinates and army cohorts to treat him as an equal, while quickly rising above and banking on his authority. By the time of Isstvan, he revels in the irony of using a whip to take down supposed tyrants. He tries to set himself apart from Curze, placing himself as a just and righteous figure, while employing terror tactics and employing the use of maddened killers within his Legion, who only here, a few decades into the Crusade, are reformed as the Moritat, unchanged in methodology but with a nicer label and justification. He treats his old companions from Lycaeus as brothers only when it suits him, but is quick to reprimand and push them away. He is hell-bent on seeming like a savior while easily giving in to a desire for vengeance, costing myriad lives on both sides of a conflict, including civilians.

Good review, this portrayal of Corax was well done, particularly in the political elements. He's still a freedom fighter but not one who has not worked through the contradictions between being a freedom fighter and waging imperial conquest. That final scene with the Kiavahran insurgent was brief but very good. It brings him into the same sphere of comparisons as Angron, in a certain light, which Haley to his credit points out in that early scene with Guilliman you mention, that every primarch can be opposed to/compared with multiple others.

Corax gets a complex and multifaceted personality here. As you say, it's one that is not by any means entirely admirable but at least early on there's quite a bit of Corax appearing generous, considerate and princely. It's undercut by his later actions but even this is signalled by that earlier conversation with Guilliman about being driven by internal tensions/contradictions. That comes up again most openly as this dichotomy between justice and vengeance but it's a lot bigger than that, as you've outlined well. He's a hypocrite in that if pressed he'll insist(as only a primarch can) that he knows better and can successfully synthesise all these impulses. And then will not be criticised.

To my mind it's not less interesting than what Reynolds did for Fulgrim in his primarch novel and frankly I found it better than any of Gav's RG stuff.I wish there was a clearer through-line between this book and Deliverance Lost and Weregeld, but this felt more convincing. Maybe that was because as a novel it didn't really need to portray change or growth so much as single 'episode' that captured Corax from different angles but I was quite a bit more impressed with this.

Also! It's interesting to see a situation where a primarch's impact on a war is not a positive one and everyone knows it but because of how the imperium works, can't admit it. "A primarch cannot be seen to fail", and the propaganda machine moves in as though out of embarrassment. The system was taken and probably still with less blood than some of his brothers would have spent but still, there's a thing. Corax is no Perturabo in being petulant but is arguably no longer capable of being told 'no', even when it's in the interests of expressing the ideals that he (earnestly, I think) professes.

The book is Haley on top form, lacking any of the sagging, rushed bits of Titandeath or Wolfsbane. It's also a very fine example (alongside Russ and Perturabo) of how a primarch novel can be more than a simple fanservice-y retelling of a crowning moment of awesome, and how focusing on a less admirable moment can be the best opportunity to explore a character.

I said it before in this thread and i will say it again.

Curze and the Nightlords who where Fenc's first choice would ironically in retrospect probably have done a quicker and ''better" job in this campaign.

And on some level Corax knows this but will never admit to it.

Guilliman has always been somebody deeply engaged in the social, administrative works of his (father's) empire. He was lucky in that he had somebody fair and generous be his mentor and father figure, whereas Corvus grew up in captivity, in darkness, with wardens swinging whips at his friends, who hated their tormentors. Where Roboute learned how society can and should function with the least degree of injustice possible, and was able to work on from what his father had built and improve on it, Corax really never learned anything about rebuilding, only about uprising, organizing cells and how to hit vulnerable spots in the established system.

By the time he brought "peace" to his world (and moon), he had nuked the other side hiroshima-style, at the cost of civilian lives, and not long after, the Emperor showed up to pick him up. Corvus Corax remained as a savior figure with statues and what not around, but let go of the reins so quickly, he never had to get engage in rebuilding efforts. To his mind, he solved the injustices by taking down the tyrants and freeing the slaves. His guerrilla war was over where Guilliman's efforts would only just begin. He was moved right to the greater task, taking down other tyrants in the galaxy, rather than sticking around and crafting lasting solutions to old problems.

This kind of holds true after Isstvan V as well. Yes, Corax was made for that kind of guerrilla war. That's his thing. But he also, again, neglected Deliverance. He neglected keeping an eye on the guilds and mechanicum. He got so hung up on reentering the fight against Horus, he got primarch-level tunnel vision. He didn't even bother handling the Primarch Project material himself, instead handing it off to his sons. He wasn't even aware of the friction between his two closest sons.

Even his military actions during Deliverance Lost and later, in Soulforge, Ravenlord and Weregeld, were all rather showy. In every one of them he tried proving a point, making a spectacle, either through showcasing his new astartes, proving he can handle stuff with a tiny amount of his legion, or by storming in on his own (and getting his butt handed to him...). He is extremely arrogant (Raven's Flight comes to mind, where he asks his *bodyguard* if he really thinks Corax has any need for a bodyguard in the first place) and his actions throughout the Heresy show it.

And one could argue that the path Corax had chosen was much more aligned with the Emperors plan than Guillimans ever was. I really don't see how RG was going around and solving age old disputes, I see him going around and pushing his own culture and way of life on every planet. Yes for most planets it would be a vast improvement but certinally now for all. 

Dorn is another primarch that was also well taught on how to rule and had his own small-empire before being found but was completely against having space marines rule planets or spreading their influence. The Imperial Fists would if necessary garrison a planet to defend it , but they would never interfere on how the planet is run unless it was against Imperial dogma.Then you have from the other primarchs Ferrus, Russ, Johnson, Sanguinius who also did not want to rule any planet.

Interestingly the primarchs with which RG shared his vision the most with would be Horus, Perturabo and Lorgar. 

Haley gives us a couple of moments when Corax's ...."primarchness" just shows. He's aloof, high handed and (yes) arrogant. I was under impression that Corax unconsciously is trying NOT to be a "lord PRIMARCH" but just "primarch Corax". I've begun to wonder if Delivernce and being found by a prisoner/slaves did change him from original Emp's concept. Mayby Xeric tribsmen ie. Terran XIX would be his kind of man after all. (Which of course is irrevelant since he is what he is)

It sounds like Corax was like the Twins, needing to prove something to his brothers

The big difference is that the Raven Guard has friendly relations with both the Ultramarines and Imperial Fists and is willing to change or go the opposite way of standard/unorthodox tactics

The Alpha Legion are what the Raven Guard would have been if they focused too much on guerilla warfare aspect above others

Corax would be happy that Shrike does not share the same flaws that he has

(I think Shrike is the only Chapter Master that does not share the same flaws as his Primarch)

Just started the audiobook version, only a few chapters in. Liking it alot so far. Corax strikes the right tone of "little brother" who is at once awed by his "older" brothers' accomplishments, but also competitive enough under the surface that he's ready to catch up or outpace them as soon as he learns what an ocean actually looks like (great bit of writing there!).

Just finished this book. It was excellent easily a top three in the series. I often like to break reading a good one across days to weeks (months if it is not as good). It was engrossing and I could not put it down. Some quick thoughts and bear in mind I am fairly neutral with Corax and the RG but have read all of Gav’s stuff except DL (not that I think it is a bad book just haven’t gotten to that one with all the newer stuff).

-I love the Guilliman parts with Corax. Obviously a UM whore but those parts were well written and provides nice insight into Corax. As an aside Haley writes a really good RG, with all his Dark Imperium stuff he def has gotten his character down...makes me wish he did RG’s primarch book!

-Love the “biological weapon” as a huge fan of that genre of movies it was a total nod to fans of said genre.

-In general I agree with what others have said. Somewhat more relatable but still kind of an :censored: at times.

I am just amazed at how productive Haley is. Aside from just putting out alot of books, as a whole they range from very good to excellent (IMO) and have not been disappointed in any reads unlike titles such as Battle for the Abyss (holy :censored: that was theee worse book evaaaa) and Ruinstorm. It is clear BL trusts him to “fix” things like the Beast series and Titandeath (told myself I can’t read it until I paint up the Adeptus Titanicus models!) but read the aferward which seems clear it was a last minute thing. To me Haley is like Abnett, French, ABD, and Wraight where I will pretty much read most things from them knowing it will be at least very good if not great.

Oh what is up with Sharrowkyn!?! We going to see him in the Siege stuff?!? I know some hate him as a mary sue but I personally like him (always felt the traitors had the market with cool traitors...never mind that they all are well and alive in the 41st!

Finished this today. Easily the best take on the Raven Guard across the entirety of the HH and 40k spheres. I don't want my synopsis to come across a shot at Gav Thorpe's previous RG renditions ( my other posts on the topic do that well enough), but Haley has managed to capture the essence of the Raven Guard, Corax and their homeworld in a single book.

Managing to encapsulate a good overall background on Corax, his personality, the personality of the legion and how it persecutes wars (without stating over and over how the stealthy black clad stealth marines are masters of shadow and stealth) while also showcasing the politics on Kiavahr and touching upon the Deliverance Rising is no mean feat in a single book and Guy Haley brings it all together without feeling like parts were left out or shortened to accommodate others. Something Thorpe notably failed to do across a novel and a plethora of novellas and shorts, which is now put into stark contrast with this book released.

Particularly, the interactions between legionaries feels well-rounded and not wooden. The dialogue is kept short and sweet in general but is to the point and doesn't feel like it's angst-ridden teenagers speaking. (Anyone who's read Ravenlord and the ending with Nathian will understand).

Spoilers below for particular points I enjoyed. It's quite long mind.

The exile of the terran legionaries is very briefly discussed in conversation, nothing that we haven't already seen or read so don't expect anything to be revealed in this book about that.

I loved the short amount of time we get to see the Mor Deythan when the afflicted start to rise. Felt very well done. The part where the reanimated corpse sits ups and stares directly at the warrior is great and quite chilling.

The rivalry between Agapito and Branne is brilliantly done and quite tragic when you consider that Agapito, jealous of the honour of Branne having command of a Battle Barge bestowed upon him, will soon have the 'honour' of being one of the commanders selected to lead the forces to Istvaan V. Whereas Branne is left to garrison Deliverance.

The Moritat side plot was well done if not a small bit telegraphed. I liked the differentiation between the sable brand and the black rage in the fact that whereas the black rage basically drives you raging mad, the sable brand is a slow degeneration into an abyss which the legionary is fully aware of as it is happening. Tragically played out and well written. The 'shadowmaster' on the station at the end was a great little twist but like me if anyone has played CoD Black Ops you'll probably see it coming a mile away.

I would have liked something like the unknown warrior to be asked his name at the end and all he replies with is "they call me the Blood Crow". I was disappointed when Kaedes Nex was actually introduced as the leader of the formation across the vox. Meh, at least he finally got some book time, all that's left now is for Alvarex Maun to pop up somewhere. Surprised he hasn't appeared anywhere but anyway, I digress.

The Kiavahran resistance plot and the ending involving Errin talking to Corax was the only real let down in my opinion. I understand that the small arc was used to show the sentiment still lingering on Kiavahr after Corax has left but I feel that it was building up to something defining rather than fizzling out without much ado. I can see that it's a beginning to the rebellion of the guilds in Deliverance Lost, orchestrated by the Alpha Legion of course, but I think there needs to be something set after this story and before the events of DL.  Would make an excellent side short or novella.

Finally, I'm indifferent to the portrayal of Guilliman in the book. He feels incredibly vanilla, which may be the point so that every other primarch's personality can be compared in contrast to him, but I feel that nearly every writer has no idea how to write Guilliman and steer him towards some sort of characterisation without breaking this 'vanilla-ness' for want of a better word.

So that's my take on it. Excellently paced and written. A solid 8.5/10 for me.

Oh I almost forgot, the Imperial Army under the guise of the Therion cohorts are portrayed admirably and as competent and disciplined soldiers rather than the usual bullet magnets so that's something for IG fans. I just don't know how I feel about their white and red armour. :sweat:

Well, I’ve ordered this one after reading this thread. I’ve always liked Corax and the Raven Guard but I’ve struggled to read their Heresy stuff so far. Also, I really like the idea of the loyalist Primarchs being written with their own flaws, I think quite often is easy to fall into the trap of the traitor primarchs being the ‘broken’ ones, but it sounds like Corax is portrayed with a very balanced character here. Looking forward to reading it.

• 2 weeks later...

What a cracking read that was.

My feelings on Thorpe's existing RG HH works are mixed. I quite liked Deliverance Lost, more than most anyway, and felt it held up well to repeat readings. Like A Thousand Sons, I could see nuance in the primarch's character that I didn't always pick up on the first time around. That said, the characterisation still didn't feel quite as well rounded as it could have been, and the legion in particular didn't have much of a distinct identity. The trio of novellas after it started badly, picked up and developed Corax further towards the end, but still felt like they lacked something.

What I particularly love about Lord of Shadows is that it actually fleshes out and improves upon stories that came out years before, by a different author. It enhances not just itself, but those others too. It never feels like it disregards or retcons anything Thorpe established about Corax, but instead develops those ideas further and makes them more tangible. When I read Jaghatai Khan's Primarchs book I loved how well it meshed with what came (chronologically) later, and felt it'd be great to start there, then go onto Brotherhood of the Storm, Scars, etc. I get the same kind of feeling here, that Lord of Shadows sets things up really well for later books in the series, and that's even more impressive coming from a different writer.

Corax's flaws are on show, but never feel over-emphasised. Characteristics like his tendency to introspection and dwelling on things fit in perfectly with his later behaviour in the Heresy, and his eventual breakdown towards the end of it/in its aftermath. He's clearly uneasy with his gifts and inherently murderous nature. He wants to fight for justice, but there's a vengeful arrogance about him too, the same sort of anger that will lead him down dangerous paths after Isstvan V.

There are some nice touches with the legion itself too. I like the development of the sable brand as a curse, not dissimilar to the red thirst in the Blood Angels, or other dubious gifts passed on from the likes of Angron or Curze. I especially liked the nice touch near the end:

Early on there are comparisons with the Night Lords, and the Night Lords were even the Imperial admiral's first choice for aid. Corax is naturally keen to distance himself and his legion from this. Then towards the end, after he brings his vengeance upon Agarth, he broadcasts Agarth's dying screams on loop throughout the system, so perhaps he and Curze aren't that different after all...

9/10 from me, excellent entry into the sub-series.

EDIT: Also, totally agree with Biscuittzz on the Guard scene being a real highlight (I was so into it, I'm sure I had a huge grin on my face while reading it on the bus), and also on feeling that

the Kiavahr side-plot might've been better suited as a separate short or novella. It wasn't bad, didn't resolve quite as strongly as it might have.

Quite enjoyed this one too, easily one of the top five in the series. Not really much to add to everybody else's thoughts on Corax and the RG. The Carinae were an interesting civilisation, and I wouldn't mind seeing the post-compliance version show up somewhere in future fiction.

Early on there are comparisons with the Night Lords, and the Night Lords were even the Imperial admiral's first choice for aid. Corax is naturally keen to distance himself and his legion from this. Then towards the end, after he brings his vengeance upon Agarth, he broadcasts Agarth's dying screams on loop throughout the system, so perhaps he and Curze aren't that different after all...

The key difference here, I think, is that Curze would've done that to any luckless people who were handy regardless of guilt or innocence. Corax does this to the tyrant who'd sacrificed his own people to save his hide, but he doesn't go out of his way to torture and slaughter random victims for any reason.

Quite enjoyed this one too, easily one of the top five in the series. Not really much to add to everybody else's thoughts on Corax and the RG. The Carinae were an interesting civilisation, and I wouldn't mind seeing the post-compliance version show up somewhere in future fiction.

The key difference here, I think, is that Curze would've done that to any luckless people who were handy regardless of guilt or innocence. Corax does this to the tyrant who'd sacrificed his own people to save his hide, but he doesn't go out of his way to torture and slaughter random victims for any reason.

Curze would probably have wrapped the campaign a lot sooner then Corax and would not have been distracted by a personal vendetta with the Tyrant.

In hindsight Curze was proably the better fit for this campaign

• 4 weeks later...

(I think Shrike is the only Chapter Master that does not share the same flaws as his Primarch)

You would be mistaken there.

Shrike has a lot of Corax's flaws, they just aren't as severe and insurmountable in him.

In his own novel, Shrike leads a frontal assault with half the Chapter against an Ork battle moon to settle an old grudge.

You would be mistaken there.

Shrike has a lot of Corax's flaws, they just aren't as severe and insurmountable in him.

In his own novel, Shrike leads a frontal assault with half the Chapter against an Ork battle moon to settle an old grudge.

At least Shrike didn't inherit Corax's crazy side unlike the Space Sharks and Ashen Claws

Archived