What to start on the board?

Link2edition

Since matched play rules have a 50% on the board turn 1 requirement, what units do you plan on hiding under your ambush markers?

I am thinking an Imperial Guard detachment of heavy tanks with a few infantry screens. The rest of the army will be underground.

At 1750 pts after myfirst 1500 pt game vs. Beta Sisters I'm looking at setting up:

a) Vehicles, and units in said vehicles (2 Grinders and a Goliath; 10 + 5 Acolytes, a Magus and 5 Aberrants). These spread out and try to work up through cover to support the turn 2/3 charge. In my last game, the one truck unit that survived past turn 3 basically won me the game after I botched things pretty well in turn 2 (poor timing on characters and misread the opponent's units) : P

b) One big blob of Neophytes in the rear to walk around tagging stuff w/ Mining Lasers until fading into shadows turn 2 (alternatively just use They Came From Below)

c) 1x Bikes to scoot up toward armour gunning for a Drive By Demolitions w/ Extra Explosives combo (WITNESS ME! Also a candidate for They Came From Below)

Then from Subterranean Ambush on turn 2/3 I bring in:

a) 2 more blobs of Neos + Kelermorph to blaze away and try and control a flank

b) Patriarch + 20 Genestealers + Magus (Hypnosis) + Primus (Amulet of Voidwyrm) for primary assault (usually centre of enemy line, but supporting/supported by the Neos)

c) 1x 10 Demolitions Acolytes using Lying in Wait and Extra Explosives on something high value (consider leaving them to turn 3 so I can see what the priority target is - if nothing is exposed enough they get dropped out of sight and leave turn 4 for a turn 6 Demolitions endgame).

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Archived