Vanguards Veterans with Hand Flamers?

SwashBuccaneer

I'm a fan of Vanguard Veterans with double Hand flamer. Especially once they get the buff we got promised in the SoB section of the CA2018. A unit of 5 with 10 Hand flamers would kill on average ~4 Marines then. Or ~9 Skitarii/Firewarriors. Or ~14 Cultists. So a unit of 10 VV with one Hand flamer each and something else in the other hand should be fine as well.

The only real concern is the extremely short range of only 6". That's basically charge range already and if you get this close you could just as well take a proper melee weapon instead. :sweat:

Nice. Right now I'm looking at having them setup as follows:

1 x Sgt w/Thunder Hammer, Plasma Pistol & Melta Bombs

1 x Vet w/Thunder Hammer & Flamer

2 x Vets w/Chainswords & Stormshields

6 x Vets w/Chainswords & Flamers

Not sure how I wanna equip them or even toss more THs in (points getting tight though so I can't fit another hammer in atm without cutting elsewhere) or if the bolt pistol is a better option with SIA in effect. I was even playing with having them with 2 chainswords, etc. but something about having them with a melee weapon and some range just seems fun and a little more versatile in the shooting phase. 

I have one Vanguard Veteran with a Salamander shoulder pad and this is the load out that I gave him. I personally wouldn't field a unit of them, but I like to slip him him into a close combat squad.  It's not a bad thing to have some members of the squad have the flexibility that comes with 6 inches of range.

I personally take the bolters, as sfPanzer said the flamers are slightly wasted when you'll be charging strait after. If you want to take on a group of chaff we have so many better weapons, so I like the bolters as it allows us to take on harder opponents with SIA.

Archived