Ironclad Dreadnoughts and a HQ

Valdr Fell-fist

Hi all.

I’m adding/looking to add 1-3 Ironclad Dreadnoughts into an army for us because, simply, I love walkers. Since the start of this year I’ve painted up three Dreadnoughts, two Redemptors, a Contemptor and I’ve got two Hellverins sat one painting desk.

I’ll take them in a Vanguard Detatchment from Codex:Space Marines and I’m trying to work out which HQ would work well with them?

Chapter Tactics aren’t an issue and neither are Forge World characters as those aren’t particularly important to me at this stage. I’d like to avoid Smash Captains and the like preferably though.

Thanks In advance.

I think there's a good case to be made for five of the Codex Chapters:

• Ultramarines would let them Fall Back and shoot, plus they'd have access to Tigurius, who's a boss.
  • White Scars: Fall Back and charge is good for a melee anti tank beast like the Ironclad. Better advancing is also good for getting them there (especially if you go without the Hurricanes).
  • Iron Hands FNP is solid at T8/3+.
  • Raven Guard would be good for delivering them too, and they'd be able to bully weak shooting units by hanging out just over 18" to keep the -1 while pumping out their full Hurricane firepower thanks to Bolter Discipline.
  • Salamanders are solid, especially to help get their low volume of high power melee attacks through, plus a Meltagun/some Hunter Killer Missiles.

For an HQ choice, a Techmarine is a solid option to keep them ticking.

Lieutenant is also good, as they can use Wisdom of the Ancients to get full reroll 1s on both hit and wound.

Librarian would also be helpful to help try and curtail any heavy psychic presence and buff them up a little.

Chaplain could be decent, to make the most of their potent melee power.

All good things, but why is this in the DeathWatch thread? Possible mod request to move into the Adeptus Astartes thread, unless I’ve missed something? In which case my bad.

For DeathWatch, a Libby with jump pack. DS the dreds in with the strat, and drop the Libby with them. You could only buff one a turn, but might of heroes and the +1” to charge rolls always swing 1st psychic power(forgot the name) has some good potential.

All good things, but why is this in the DeathWatch thread? 

I assumed they wanted to take them as an allied/supporting detachment to their DW list since we can't take Ironclads as DW. I could be wrong though

/shrug

For DeathWatch, a Libby with jump pack. DS the dreds in with the strat, and drop the Libby with them. You could only buff one a turn, but might of heroes and the +1” to charge rolls always swing 1st psychic power(forgot the name) has some good potential.

The Librarius Discipline has no power that gives +1" to Charge Rolls, because it's pretty crappy. Veil of Time gives rerolls to Advance and Charge (which still isn't great, as it's reroll both, not pick one or both) and fight first (which is also crap for only a single unit...)

Librarius Discipline has two and a half good powers: Might of Heroes (poor man's GSC Might From Beyond, of course!), Psychic Scourge (also surpassed by a GSC power!), and Null Zone (if you can get a Librarian close enough and then actually manifest it!)

The Librarius Discipline has no power that gives +1" to Charge Rolls, because it's pretty crappy. Veil of Time gives rerolls to Advance and Charge (which still isn't great, as it's reroll both, not pick one or both) and fight first (which is also crap for only a single unit...)

Librarius Discipline has two and a half good powers: Might of Heroes (poor man's GSC Might From Beyond, of course!), Psychic Scourge (also surpassed by a GSC power!), and Null Zone (if you can get a Librarian close enough and then actually manifest it!)

You sir are correct. No idea why I thought +1”. I haven’t used it in awhile, so maybe now I’m just wish listing.

Take a chaplain dreadnought to lead them. Use the Blood Angels furioso as the basis. It'll look sweet.

I agree with this, give the Ironclads Chainfists and Hurricane Bolters and run a chaplain dreadnought along with them.

Alternatively instead of running Ironclads, Grab some BA Furioso / Deathcompany Dreads and have a Librarian dreadnought with them. (quickening and wings of sanguinius would be my choice of powers) 

Those all seem like excellent suggestions.

I completely forgot about the existence of chaplain Dreadnoughts, and that seems like an excellent way to get another walker on the field.

A vanguard detatchment of three Ironclads and a Chaplain dreadnought would provide me with a rather potent assault punch, which is something my (almost) pure primaris Watch list is lacking.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Archived