Anyone using the Tech Priest Manipulus?

Ishagu

Or however it's spelt. I don't own him yet but I had a glance at the rules and he seem decent.

The +6 to weapon range has play. I'm wondering if people have run him, and specifically in conjunction with what units?

I've used the Manipulus a couple times now. He's alright I guess. Not worth 90pts though.

I haven't had much need of the +1" in my last few games, mostly due to the nature of my army lists. The range buff helped out in two games with my Breachers that were initially just out of range with their guns. Other than that, he hasn't really done a whole lot for me. 

Drop him down to 50 or 60pts and I'll say he's worth it then. But the same cost as a Dominus for a worse stat line and either a short-range discount arquebus or a slightly buffed heavy flamer? I'll swap him for either another Dominus or bring an Enginseer and a few more bodies somewhere else.

I'm afraid this is my analysis as well he's just not worth the points , I know our Hq's are expensive and or pretty useless ...  take this in mind for more or less the same price you can take a whole other Onager with Erad beamer ....

Mind you my enginseer keith ... did battle long and hard against a Dark eldar Succubus  and eventually won over 4 turns of combat.
but this was more to do with her abject failure than his hardiness.

It needs to be 45 points plus wargear then i would take him over a seer , but other than that No.

Edited by synthaside

• 2 weeks later...

Mind you my enginseer keith ... did battle long and hard against a Dark eldar Succubus  and eventually won over 4 turns of combat.

but this was more to do with her abject failure than his hardiness.

I think this duel would make an amazing short story :D

Keith , actually did amazingly against some wracks again last night , 5 of the charged him and over the course of 2 turns he just killed them off ...  2 damage  even when your hitting on 4's  2 damage power axe's  will do the business against feel no pains .

I lost the game big time ... but its little wins right ;-)  6 talos ..... >.<  unpleasant  and unlucky my dragoon blob failed a 3 inch charge and I was Vect'd on my re-roll of the  1 ( i rolled a 2 and a 1 ) 

Edited by synthaside

Keith , actually did amazingly against some wracks again last night , 5 of the charged him and over the course of 2 turns he just killed them off ...  2 damage  even when your hitting on 4's  2 damage power axe's  will do the business against feel no pains .

I lost the game big time ... but its little wins right ;-)  6 talos ..... >.<  unpleasant  and unlucky my dragoon blob failed a 3 inch charge and I was Vect'd on my re-roll of the  1 ( i rolled a 2 and a 1 ) 

How did you arm him?

I may use mine tonight! But likely with flamer.

Are you still doing the 'no Knight" thing? (I think it was you?)

I am using an Armiger to go with my chicken walkers but most of the heavy lifting will be backfield and I plan to use this guy to help with range. Or... just not include him at all. lol (I'm still shocked they never changed his points.)

I've played him the last 3 games and honestly I've run away with the games and not had a chance to see him in action. His flamer is nice, his +3 to range or +1 to movement is also nice. His points cost needs to come down though, and when it does he'll always have a place in my army.

He kind of already does, because he's cool. I'm almost done painting the miniature and will update my post it's been a while since I've added anything. Or done much hobbying for that matter.

Definitely agree with all of the above, he's a little too pricey for what he does currently.  But i have found a niche role for him to fill in a Ryza or mixed Battalion alongside a large unit of Ryza destroyers. I typically take them for anti-knight, and that extra movement and range play a huge factor when your facing down the destroyers arch-nemesis (aka.. Avenger Gatling Cannons ).

There is also a lot of prevalent 36" range shooting in the game, so with some good movement phases you can get that first strike using the Destroyers... and if you've played Ryza destroyers you know they typically only need one kick at the can to wipe something off the board. 

So, the price tag might not be worth it at 90 pts.. but i've found the extra range can be huge. Not to mention buffing the Cognis Flamers ( if you take them ) which allows some deepstrike baiting with your destroyers, and shooting units with them when they come in. ( Ahemm... GSC )  

So yesterday I got my Manipulus into some situations that tested his ability. I played a tough Khorne list with a Demon Prince of Khorne that literally 1 shotted a Knight Warden. Just to follow on this, the Demon Prince had 6 attacks, hitting on 2s, rerolling 1s, with some crazy axe and what not. The axe did D3 mortal wounds on a wound roll of 6, and each damage from a regular wound was D6. Insane. Couple that with two rhinos of berserkers, a Blood Letter bomb, a helldrake and some other things and you can see that the fight phase was going to be tough.

I ended up in combat with the blood letters and the Manipulus and got to see what he could do. The Manipulus, along with the 2 first bots he was rolling with put in some serious work. He was outfitted with the relic that adds D6 mechadendrite attacks. Basically he had 2D6 extra attacks, plus his staff. He ended up killing quite a few blood letters, probably not enough to get his points back but still did well. His flamer weapon was also nice, helping roast some berserkers. His regeneration kept him in the fight a little longer.

Eventually the Khorne Demon Prince showed up and sent him to the Omnissiah. That being said he was very effective against the low toughness Blood Letters. I'm not convinced he's worth his points right now, and his "buff" is just OK. I see him at probably 60ish points and that would be a nice price point.

Admech defeated Khorne, btw, with my Onager Icarus array finally bring down the dreaded Demon Prince!

Edited by brother_b

I used my TPM for the first time yesterday. It was a 1000 point game against my brothers Genestealers. He is new to the army and the 1000 points was everything he can field at the moment, so it was more a "have fun and learn" game than anything competative.

I fielded a Metalica list with MSU Skitarii, 2 Eradication Onagers, 1 Dragoon, Ruststalkers, 1 Enginseer,  a TPD and TPM (Warlord with Prime Hermeticon, Pseudo Generator and Sonic weapon).

Long story short: It was a clear victory for me. TPM didn't do much, but I was impressed by my Vanguard moving up 14" (lucky 6 for advance) and still shot 18" without any penalty. He did not see that comming.

Other than that he shot only once and killed 1 Cultist. Later he charged the Primus which was on 3 wounds left and killed it with his Relic weapon.

Maybe I will post a Bat Rep later this week, we will see...

First game conclusion:

Nothing too special. He feels right with Metalicas Dogma and he can deal damage, but he has to get close to do so.

And, as everyone else has already mentioned, he is too expensive. Drop him down to 60 - 70 points and we are fine.

Metallica is surprisingly fun if you're playing Skitarii Vanguard - getting an average 10" movement with no detriment to firepower makes them super mobile and annoying for the opponent. While I didn't use it, the WLT to retreat and fire at -1 to hit is also stellar and means you can counter assault armies fairly well with cheap bait screens.

The Manipulus makes these units even faster too. Never underestimate Vanguard as a supporting assault unit either, the -1T aura is very powerful, especially in tandem with Taser Goad Infiltraitors who will then wound MEQ on a 2+

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the necromancy servitor conversion procedure but a fair amount has changed since we have plenty of new units for the army. From what I can tell the Manipulus has had a significant points drop (not sure if that is Engine War or a Chapter Approved update prior to Engine War).

Does he have a niche in the army currently? I prefer the look of the Magnarail weapon but most people in this thread seemed to be running the Transonic Cannon. Do any of the new units benefit from the Manipulus buffs? I am going to paint one up for fun but I don't know if he will earn his way into my army lists yet. The movement buff seems a bit low to me and the ranged weapon buff doesn't seem that impressive either. Perhaps I'm expecting a bit much from the portly gentleman?

Perhaps I'm expecting a bit much from the portly gentleman?

If I've understood the model right, that's not a belly, that's their knees/lap. They're on their laptop! :D

---

My only routine utility for then has been as a boost to my Fistbustor Robots, the bonus to movement works neat, and as Ryza with a Prime Hermeticon warlord trait, they makes for a bit of a boost on them.

Not enough to be super powerful, but gets more out of them and feels like something that's within reach of being achievable, short of just buying completely different models.

If I'm particularly adventurous, I sometimes put the Anzion's Pseudogenetor on the beggar, and they can deal out 2d6 attacks in combat, plus their other stuff.

Not amazing, but should theoretically be useful in clearing chaff or screens that are trying to tie up my robots.

(Invariably it's either been irrelevant [no chaff] or the opponent's somehow killed the Manipulus before I make use of the plan. I think that's more to do with me, presently, than the plan itself!)

The Manipulus is a great boost for a number of reasons

1. Extending the range of weapons is good anyway however with the new Trait allowing -1 in half range your basically extending the effectiveness of this

2. In gameplay he already wants to be within 6" to boost range/movement so giving him one of these new traits just goes hand in hand

3. His shooting weapons are actually good. A S7 (or 8 with Mars) -3AP D3/3DMG or D6 S4 AP-1 2DMG flamer are all great. They also benefit from the 2" range extension

4. If you run a combat army getting plus 1 move and charge can really help. And theres a reroll charge Trait to so now youre getting boosts and rerolls. Synergy

5. He is 65 points. Great price for what you get.

I put him in a lot of lists. Most of the time I think a second Dominus is a waste of points, while an Enginseer is a good slot filler, but does very little on the table.

The Manipulus is reasonably priced and thanks to his 2 aura abilities he gives you a bit flexibility.

Most of the time you will increase weapon range to outgun other shooty armys, but now and then he can also get your guys to grab an objective or charge the opponent.

He is also good to clear small stuff that gets to close to your lines thanks to his flamer and the mechandrites.

I might see if I can magnetize the two weapons on my Manipulus since they both cost the same points meaning I can swap them freely in army lists. One of my friends is working on a specialized melee Tyranid army so the flamer will probably be more useful. For his existing Death Guard army I might try the Magnarail Lance Those Disgustingly Resilient rolls will probably make it inefficient. I suppose plonking him next to a Belleros Skorpius battery could give you 42-inch ranged mortars which sounds reasonable. If they need to relocate he can't keep up though.

I run 2 in my list.

1 equipped with the Omniscient Mask and the Magos trait to jump out of a Drill with a squad of Infiltrators .

1 with the Learnings of the Genetor to buff my Kataphron blob as it moves up field. I find that the extra move is really helpful since they don't suffer heavy weapon penalties. 

Honestly they both put in a ton of work and the extra durability makes them ideal targets for the new warlord traits.

Is that the case with all chosen abilities? So none of these warlord traits would be available to deep striking units?

I guess I assumed that the abilities were added to the datasheet regardless of whether they were on the table or not.

Edited by Lord Momotaro