Re-Introducing the Forum

Morticon

Hey all, so after some chatting with other mods, I've taken the advice to start a "Re-intro" thread.  

Part of this has been inspired by the fact that I'm not as active as I used to be, and as a result hardly know most of the community I mod for, aside from some of the regulars and the old-lurkers who pop out now and again to comment.  And further to that, it may be the case that new posters and members don't even really know me! 

We've all had various intros into the board and forum, but I'm going to take the time to rally our BA brothers once more so we can know a little more about our little community. 

Feel free to share as much as you're comfortable with !!   

Avatar:  Chaplain Lemartes by "Nalro" . I paid a fellow ex-frater  for four images, each for a tee-shirt for members of our Adepticon Team (in 2006 I think when I had the privilege of playing with some of the greats of the BA forum like  OwlandMoonGuy and Koyote - I also played on a team with Gaganius and fellow mod JamesI in 2011).  

Years playing 40k:  August will be 21 years.  I got into 40k from a friend who came back from his stay abroad with a  2nd Ed starter box.  He took the BA, and I used his brothers Eldar and started collecting more Eldar.  A few years later, I tired of the Eldar and switched to playing BA. 

Years playing B.A.:  19

Favourite BA Character:  Mephiston.

Chapter:  Children of Sanguinius; a home-brew chapter with it's own history, colours and marking.  Red, Black main colours with gold and yellow trims, and white trims on weapons. (Not to mention white DC)  

Years on the B&C:  Been a member since 2004, and a mod, since...hell....2008? Cant quite remember! I used to post pretty detailed and picture-annotated battlereports of the many tournaments I took part in, as well as strategy advice - though, both of those have taken a backseat in recent years ><; 

I was a huge proponent of the PDF codex (BA used to be a PDF codex in 4th ed :dry.: ) and made it work well despite it being a bit poo.  

I got into the B&C when the legendary Solar was still a mod - before his mysterious disappearance.  I originally joined because I had recently moved to Japan, and there was no 40k community that I knew of.  I spent hours and hours and hours online just chatting and learning because I had no opps to play.  Thankfully a few years later, a few mates started and a few months later a local community started.  

Mod-wise, I've striven to promote a welcoming, friendly and supportive community, being a lot more hands-off and giving BA posters a far wider berth to post (remember the cats?)  - but coming down exceptionally hard on bullies, mouthy or otherwise unpleasant posts/posters that would detract from that community. 

40k is the one of the few constants in my life, my absolute passion and enjoyment and my one relationship non-negotiable - and the B&C is the place I get to enjoy that with others. 

And here's me this past New Years eve doing the other thing I love:  

brin5_zpsbcxoue0i.jpg

Over to you lot....  

Avatar:  Currently a Primaris Lieutenant that I had been working on a while ago! 

Years playing 40k:  around 22-23 years! although playing is a strong description for 8-9 year old me, i did try though!

Years playing B.A.:  About 21-22 years, I had a year of orks before finally getting the boys in red, but it was the 2nd edition boxed set that made me drag my parents into the store, thankfully my mum is a big sci fi and fantasy fan too so was willing to let child-me go in!

Favourite BA Character:  Dante, maybe Tycho, I've always loved both characters a huge amount, Mephiston is a runner up though as I love wizards and vampires and he is awesome.

Chapter:  Blood Angels, I've flirted with non-BA over the years a couple times, but always come back to them.

Years on the B&C:  December 2004, I did a bit of deathwatch stuff around that time, and was pretty active, it's been a home away from homes for me in many ways for the past 14 years. I've come here for advice on a bunch of stuff and made some real friends over the years (including ones I've had the pleasure to game with, in some cases quite frequently!)

Alright I feel comfortable enough in this subforum to give some real life informations away. :wink:

Avatar:  Uh an old official artwork of a Noise Marine currently. My heart is definitely split between the Blood Angels and the Sex, Drugs and Rock&Roll Marines. Apologies. :tongue.:

Location: German living in germany. Probably will never leave either as it's pretty comfortable living here.

Years playing 40k:  When did the 7e T'au Codex get released? 4 years ago or something? Well anyway, half a year before that. I still remember because I started out as BA but got bored by the super bland 7e Codex before buying too many models and then the new T'au Codex with fancy Ghostkeel and Breacher models came around. Kept my BA stuff though because I knew I'd eventually return. It was just the rules at that time.

Years playing BA:  Actually playing would be since the Primaris release then I guess.

Favourite BA Character:  Mephiston for sure. Astorath on the second place. Dante is solid but he is lacking something interesting to make him anywhere close to a favourite character of mine.

Chapter:  Knights of Baal. A homegrown (mostly) Primaris chapter modeled after the Knights of Blood which don't exist since the Devastation of Baal anymore. Basically some Knights of Blood from the Deathwatch returned to Baal too late to help defending it and after Dante decided to not revive the chapter so Dante decided to create a new chapter that's totally not the Knights of Blood instead of putting these DW Marines into the parent chapter (they are now in the leading positions aka Chapter Master, Chief Librarian, etc).

Colour scheme is the KoB classic silver with some red spots and red aquila. The higher the rank the more gold details are added but the main colours will always be silver and then red. They follow the BA heraldry for the most part except for sergeants which have black helmets instead of black pauldrons. The squad markings are on tilt shields on their left pauldron instead of their right knee.

Reiver acting as Sanguinary Guard for now (I wish they would be better lol) and are wearing Deathmasks accordingly.

No plans for Deathcompany yet as I want to see where GW is going with Primaris and the Black Rage first.

Years on the B&C:  Not long enough to justify the 15k posts :teehee: (october 2016)

I was on various T'au community first but never really fit in. While there were always members which appreciated my posts I always had to leave sooner or later due getting into arguments (hence my signature). Last community I had to leave was the advancedtautactica one, though I'm not particularly sad about that one as I really didn't feel comfortable there. Mostly thanks to the mods. I recently made a new account there because I was curious about what they were thinking about some changes to the T'au stuff and saw that there were members who were surprised and couldn't believe that I was gone. So I guess I do leave some positive impressions as well at least. :tongue.:

Anyway after I left there I had no reason to not be fulltime active here anymore (already got the account from before). I like the community, the board structure, the mods and the forum functions so I never looked back. ^^

And because Morticon was so brave to put a photo of himself here, I'll do the same. That's me on the wedding of one of my best friends about 2 years ago:

21752070_1608889729172575_90665535395527

You can probably find me on facebook with the informations you got now as this is my profile picture there. Don't be mad if I don't accept any random requests. My profile is private and I'm no fan of having hundreds of online-friends I don't really know. ^^

Edited by sfPanzer

I'm a pretty regular around these parts. This is one of my favorite places to venture when I want to escape social media craziness, and I've made some great friends here. I hope some day I'll be able to meet some of you lot. Here's a bit of information about good old DBH.

Avatar:  It's actually a picture of a Carmine Blade a chap did for me on one of the Blood Angel Facebook Forum's I jokingly asked if he would make this for me, and I was extremely surprised he did it. Ever since he sent me the picture I've made it my B&C Avatar.  

Location:  I actually live in the Birmingham not in the U.K. its this rather small city in the States, Fun fact, Birmingham Alabama is known as the "Magic City"

Years playing 40k:  So playing 40k has only been about a decade for me. Warhammer in general off and on since I was 12 years old. But I didn't really get into 40k until 5th edition 2009.

Years playing B.A.:  I have played Blood Angels since 5th edition. It was the second army I ever tried and I fell in love with them soon after. I really got my feet wet with them in the hobby.

Favourite BA Character:  This is a really tough choice for me. Its a hard toss up between Astorath and the Sanguinor. I really like several of the other big characters but those two are one of the main things that drew me into wanting to play Blood Angels.

Chapter:  So for all of you that know me, know I originally started out with a DIY successor chapter known as the Vermillion Tears. But with age, skill, and 7th edition's release of the Carmine Blades I fell in absolute love with the chapter badge. I sold off all my old Blood Angels except for a few important pieces and started over with the Carmine Blades. I haven't got as much painted of them as I did of my Tears, but I hope to one day get back to that level. I've tossed around the idea of doing an all primaris Blood Angels army some day just because I love the Blood Angels. But honestly I've also fallen in love with A D-B's Emperor's Spears and that's probably my all primaris army. My Carmine Blades will undoubtedly be a mixed army if I ever choose to add Primaris to them!

Years on the B&C:  Member Since 07 Nov 2015, I had been a lurker on this site years previous but I never created an account until then. I will say that the BA sub-forum is one of my absolute favorite places to ever come to. People like Mort, Jole, SfPanzer, BlindHamster, Spyros, Arkaniss, LutherMax and several others over the years, have really made this place feel like a virtual home. (if I didn't name you don't worry I talk about a lot of you guys to my friends in the gaming community I frequent. Its usually about your models, your batreps, or some neat tidbit of lore or campaign piece you've posted about.)

Not much else to tell here I guess. I might throw up a picture later on down the road. Many of you who are in the same FaceBook Group as me have already seen my face. But I don't have a problem with connecting my face to my name-tag.

Cheers!

-DBH
-Blake

Avatar: Currently Broly (from Dragonball), however it usually flits around between a few Primarchs or Trajhaan Valoris.

Years playing 40k: Played a fair amount from 11 - 17 (even came 4th back in the School League days!) and then picked it back up at 21 briefly, then again back in 2014 when I had the income to support the addiction :wink:

Years playing B.A.: All of the above, though I'll admit newer, shiner things have removed me from the Sons of Sanguinius in recent years (Ad Mech, Knights, Custodes, 30k...) and the state of their codex certainly hasn't helped! Hoping to revisit them when GW (hopefully) do over the coming years.

Favourite BA Character: A tough one...! I think it has to be Dominion Zephon from ADBs novel, Master of Mankind (and a new short story I need to read!) He's got tragedy ad cool factor in spades. If not, Dante is the obvious choice, because he's a total baller - especially in Devastation of Baal. A third may well be the Firstblade of the Knights of Blood; Sentor Jool, again because of his badassery in DoB.

Chapter: The Sanguine Vision. A chapter with a unique affliction of the curse, where in their rebirth they are doomed to subconciously suffer a vision of their death, or at least a heavily symbolic interpretation of it - much in the way their gene-father was wracked with foresight. Armed with the knowledge of how they will perish, until those conditions are clear the Vision fight hard and without fear of falling. However, upon the eve of battle, where other Sons of Sanguinius may experience their fathers death first hand and thus fall to the rage and be inducted into the Death Company, the battle brothers of the Sanguine Vision may experience their own death a second time. Such Space Marines voluntarily induct themselves into the Death Company at this time, knowing the next battle will be their last. Because of this difference, the Death Company of the Vision are not mindless berserkers but the opposite - serene and skilled combatants who have embraced death and the opportunity to soon be one with their Gene-father.

Years on the B&C: A little over 4 if you count my current stint, however as a teen I had an old account lost to time (and and out of use Hotmail account). It was a real conduit to getting myself back into the hobby, which funnily enough coincided with the 7th Ed BA codex. As you can tell by my post count, I've been really active over the past few years and hope to keep it that way for longer to come.

I've even made some IRL friends on the forum; attending our own Reclusiarch Jolemai's gaming group's Apocalypse battle a few years ago and regularly traveling across the country to meet up with him and the rest of the guys for either a days gaming or a ridiculous show of hobby that is Apocalypse. You've not lived until you've seen a Warhound kill 2 Rhinos and 3 Dreads in Overwatch. Everyone be sure to ask Jol about Mephiston and the Raven Guard Thunderhawk too :wink:!

Otherwise though you can usually find me in the BA, Ad Mech, Custodes or 30k parts of the forum. Or the NRA (if I can stand it...!). I have also proudly abstained (mostly) from the Xenos sections of the forum! :pirate:

And as a few have done with a pic, here is me (albeit a few years ago) as a member of my own chapter:

https://imgur.com/NRxz1r9

Edited by Charlo

A new guy in the forum :)

Real Name:  Michał (that's being read like "Mihau" for english-speakers)

Avatar:  Captain with claws. One of the first truly thought through conversions I've made for BA. He's still with me, although now he has a Hammer and is half painted.

Years playing 40k:  I'd say 3. I started waaay back around 2004 (a little of SM, a little of Eldar), but then dropped it due to being a poor and busy student. I've kept my eye on the hobby though and remained with the lore part. I've came back to the army-gathering in 2017 with first few models and then for the Fate of Konor. This time it was with the Blood Angels, whom I always loved.

Years playing B.A.:  1,5. More like collecting than actually playing, but I had a few games in 8th edition.

Favourite BA Character:  Mephiston.

Chapter:  Blood Angels

Years on the B&C:  I have been lurking since 2017 and joined the BA community openly for the B&Z2018 event and then the historical ETL. After that I started my WIP thread here as well.

I'm a hobbyist modeller first and painter second with some additional hobbies (airsoft) that take a lot of time. The games I tend to loose or tie although there were some precious few wins as well. Fellow players in my area are pretty competitive with lots of small tournaments happening almost every month. For now I want to kep a pure BA army, so I'm playing mostly non-competitive games.

At the moment as I still feel humbly green and new to the things, but I plan to contribute to the Community as much as possible :)

Cheers!

I think this is a fun idea. We are a reasonably tight knit community, even though we have some we have lost along the way. People come and go from the hobby, but they're always welcome. 

Avatar:  Sergeant of my Sternguard veteran squad, one of my best/favourite painted minis.

Years playing 40k:  21 years now, since early high school, Dear gods. I started a month or two after 3rd ed was released, and many of the models still had the old 2nd ed aesthetic, something I continue to try and emulate in my painting. 

Years playing B.A.:  21 - They were my first army. My intro to the hobby was when I found a Space Hulk 2nd ed box in a bookstore for £10. I had wanted in on the hobby for a long time, but this is when I took the plunge. Blood Angels were the featured chapter, and had the best background (and a £4 codex...).

Favourite BA Character:  Corbulo. The first BA special character I purchased, and I still have a soft spot for support characters.

Chapter:  Blood Angels primogenitors, although sometimes I wish I'd started with Flesh Tearers :wink:

Years on the B&C: Since 2010, I think. Less active (now) forumer Skink who I know IRL got me into the B&C. Previously I was all over the old Relic News forums (since 2006), then DakkaDakka and BolS, before finding the B&C, the best of all.

Its weird seeing this forum evolve. From Human - Transhuman armies only (with a splash of Daemons) to full ranged xenos being added in 2017-2018.

I did a stint on BoLS but that place is a toxic wasteland full of too much negativity for me. I'm like you Xenith, once I was able to become a member. (There were some issues with the site and you had to request permission to join versus just being able to. I fell in love with this place because of the mostly positive vibes forum wide. 

Its weird seeing this forum evolve. From Human - Transhuman armies only (with a splash of Daemons) to full ranged xenos being added in 2017-2018.

I did a stint on BoLS but that place is a toxic wasteland full of too much negativity for me. I'm like you Xenith, once I was able to become a member. (There were some issues with the site and you had to request permission to join versus just being able to. I fell in love with this place because of the mostly positive vibes forum wide. 

...As long as you stay away from the NRA ;)

...As long as you stay away from the NRA :wink:

We don't talk about that place.

My turn!

Avatar:  A Devastator I painted a few years back when Grav-Cannons came out. At the time I had to house-rule to use him; I didn't want to play red marines :happy.: 

Years playing 40k:  Almost 5 years. I have dabbled in a bit of Death Guard, but I never stay away from the IX for too long.

Years playing B.A.:  Coincidentally, also almost 5 years. I got into 40k right when the Blood Angel/Tyranid box got released and traded halves with a guy who had just started Tyranids.

Favorite BA Character:  Dante hands down. He was my first character I owned that didn't come in a box set or was handed down to me and I used him in nearly every 7th edition game I played. Loved him in the Guy Haley books and I feel bad for other marine players because they just don't have a Chapter Master half as awesome as we do.

Chapter:  I was originally inspired to paint my army like Blood Drinkers, but I wouldn't say that they are Blood Drinkers mainly because outside of the 7th edition Blood Drinkers page, I know nothing about the chapter. I haven't home-brewed anything either. Many players in my group have said my Primaris Marines look like Iron Man so maybe I'll eventually spin the chapter out of that :whistling:

Years on the B&C:  I think I've been on the B&C for 4 years now. I remember looking at posts for the 2015 ETL, but not participating. I did participate in the 2016 ETL (painted my 1st Dante!) so I know I've been on the B&C for at least 3 years!

I've really enjoyed being a part of the B&C community, especially part of such a great sub-faction :wub: , and I'm looking forward to many more years as a part of it.

Years on the B&C:  I think I've been on the B&C for 4 years now. I remember looking at posts for the 2015 ETL, but not participating. I did participate in the 2016 ETL (painted my 1st Dante!) so I know I've been on the B&C for at least 3 years!

You can look it up on your profile page. You've been a member since the 20th April 2015. ;)

lvfZqVB.png

Age: Let’s put it this way I remember the Beatles’ first big hit…

Years playing 40k: I have been playing since the beginning of third edition.

Years playing BA: I started playing BA right after the rules were changed so no more rhino rush… it was a personal challenge to show they were still the best and they were. I ran mostly jump infantry and out of over thousands of games I only ever lost four times with that army and winning many tournaments too. I actually played BA exclusively for a decade using the PDF codex and then the fifth edition codex which was really amazing bringing back the old flavor. I have finally picked them back up again and still love em !

Favorite BA Character: Mephiston the Lord of Death.

Chapter: I always paint mine in a Death Company color scheme.

Years on the B&C: I have been here since 2005.

Edited by Black Orange

Avatar: Karlaen. I might look at finding a better picture at some point.

Age: It won't be long before 40 is closer than 30. Blimey.

Years playing 40k: I started with 2nd Edition in the early 90s, the boxed set with the cardboard Ork dreadnought. Being young back then I only played casual games, but slowly built up a collection. I took a lengthy break for over 15 years before picking things up again in 2016. I collect models across the Imperial factions but BA are my primary force.

Years playing BA: Technically 25 years or so, but again with the caveat that there was a substantial break in the middle. Why BA? It started with the 2nd Edition box:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/0/05/Warhammer_40000_2nd_edition.jpg

I painted those initial monopose space marines in Blood Angels red and they've remained my primary chapter ever since. I still have most of those original models too, and still put them in play - though they've had some updated paintwork and a few repairs using newer bits.

Favourite BA Character: For nostalgia it's probably Dante as he was the first special character I got, though I think I probably used Tycho more often in the past.

Chapter: Mostly Blood Angels, though I have a small detachment of Flesh tearers for when I want to run Seth.

Years on the BC: Just coming up to 3 years, I signed up here when I got back into painting and playing.

Lol - this actually seems to be a rather similar set of answers to a bunch of people on here... 2nd Ed fanatics with a more renewed focus in the last few years. 

Avatar: First squad ‘corporal’ I finished in current generation of red marines (~2015). Really need to update it tbh

Location: Australia (Sydney), although grew up with 40k in Newcastle (a bit further north).

Years playing 40k: Mainly limited to painting & collecting now, but was playing essentially a weekly game between 4 of us in Newcastle for 1994-2001. 2nd Ed-4th Ed, plus some Necromunda and Epic on the side. 

Years playing B.A.: Bit harder to answer – my very first 40k game was 1994 and featured several cardboard tokens as Death Company squad. Shortly after, split a 2nd ed game box with someone and I painted a 10 man BA squad in traditional bright red (ie, orange) and goblin green. Unfortunately, as one of my regular gaming buddies had started to build out BA first I ended up accruing a rather large army of filthy eldar (also bright in white and green). I must have had 100+ games with the Eldar, and since one of the other players regularly ran Chaos daemons, I added a squad of metal grey knight terminators. While not exactly buddies, they seemed like a good narrative fit to tag along with daemon hunting eldar and play punch-the-greater-daemon. Strictly speaking I've barely had more than skirmishes with the ~70-odd 'new' BA models painted over the last few years. But the painting & collecting bug bit pretty hard and still committed to finishing a battle company worth of tac & dev/assault before moving onto primaris. 

Favourite BA Character: Leonatos (Bloodquest mag) was quite solid – although you have to question how many lives you should lose in order to recover a sword...

If I can find an old copy of it - Thalastian Jorus had quite a badass stand against Abbadon as DC chaplain.

Chapter: Oldschool straight BA chapter. Modelled on 5th Co.

Given the history of regular matches vs Chaos and the smallish group of old ordo malleus… Daemonbanes felt like the right company to take.

Years on the B&C:  Member since 2011, but mainly just to occasionally read bits and pieces. I’d just bought an airbrush and was experimenting with old metal grey knights I’d had forever but never painted. Forums were a good place to learn how to do airbrush power weapons. When I was switching to BA collecting in 2015, I read just about every BA forum on painting red, collecting and started to question/post - so more like 'active' for ~4 years. 

The forums are a good motivation on several fronts – seeing what is possible, learning how other people paint & build; with the good kick along that things like RTS & ETL give to hurry up and do stuff.

So here we go...

Avatar: Smash Captain conversion

Years playing 40k: coming up on a year, Army is growing, but I need to get more games under my belt

Years playing BA: when asked to start playing 40k with a colleague from work, I choose Blood Angels from the start, not knowing a whole lot about them at the time, I can recall being in the hobby shops and seeing the 40k posters on the walls, with the marines wearing the red power armor always standing out, once I started digging into the lore, I was hooked on BA.

Favorite BA Character: easy answer, Mephiston, do to back story, power level,  tiny yet awesome looking model, but Dante is growing on me, just feel GW hasn't given us a playable character on par to how he is in the fluff

Years on B&C: 6 months and counting

My turn...

Avatar: Blood Angel Symbol (which I will have tattooed one day)

Years playing 40k/Blood Angels: not sure, think I was 14 when I got the box with the blood angel captain on it, but it was the codex angels of death that got me into 40k as my friend had dark angels. As soon as I read the codex from cover to cover I new I was a blood angel fan boy. so about 22 years. I’ve had 4 blood angel army’s and sold them this is my 5 blood angel collection all primaris, I also have a small collection of tyranids and death guard that I use as target practice for my blood angel.

Favorite BA Character: I’ve always loved mephiston, Dante and Corbulo but my favourite Blood angel character is our liege himself Sanguinius

Years on B&C: Since September 21 2009 (I don’t post much but I’m always watching and reading)

med_gallery_49024_15281_157320.jpeg

Edited by redshadow