Road to The North China Open

Morticon

I much prefer the first list. 4 more cp is nice in all, but in my opinion the second contemptor adds a lot more to your list than 2 more squads of scouts and the RG captain. Having just 1 ranged anti tank risks it just being annihilated turn 1 and you're back to using characters to try to get through screens to hit tanks again.

I'm not sure if it's possible to get the model in time (also failcast), but I would recommend a thunderfire cannon in the first list replacing the eliminators. Gives you a techmarine to repair contemptors, indirect fire (very important for ITC especially if there's a lot of LOS blocking ruins) and one of the best strats in the game in the form of tremor shells. You can slow two units down to a crawl with the phobos and the thunderfire every turn.

The 20 points can be found if you take off the axe in the scouts, the axe in the vets, downgrade the axe to a staff and take off his storm bolter, and storm bolters on scouts. May cause more WYSIWYG problems if you don't have replacement models.

I've taken out all the storm bolters, the axe on the scouts, the heavy bolter and a storm shield - I'll playtest this week. 

Just for the lulz, if you REALLY want to stop a unit in its tracks then you can even stack the Phobos Librarians and the Termor Shells debuff as both say they half the movement characteristic and the advance roll. Imagine this fancy House Raven Knight suddenly only crawling around ~4" despite advancing. :D

Greeta all. Ill fill you lot in on more details when I get home, but its been a weekend of good practice gaming.

I played against three list: the standard Eldar mix I usually practice against, a plaguebearer psyker spam list, and a Bobby-G primaris dread bash.

I won all of them, and smashed in two.

Thanks for the suggestion for the thunderfire,brotherAetherick - the harassment and back field character securing objectives is solid and ill put him into my list.

The Phobos Libby is great, but I feel that I really need Slammy in the house....it also wasn't sitting well with me that the WL wasn't BA....so...he's back as WL.

I also swapped out one intercessor for a riever for some shenanigans, should they come up.

Otherwise, when I get home....list gets submitted on BCP!!!

Final list: 

BA Captain - Hammer, Shield, JP

BA Libby Dread

5x Scouts (bolters)

5x Scouts (bolters)

5x Scouts (mixed - on account of wysiwyg)

DW Captain - Hammer, JP, SB

DW Libby - Axe, JP, SB

10x Vets - 5Bikes, 5SB, 5Shields, TP-Homer

10x Interscessors - 1Riever, 1Grenade

8x Vets - 2Terms, 1Vanguard, 5Shields, 7SB, 2Axes

RG Phobos Libby

Contemptor Mortis- Las

Contemptor Mortis- Las

Thunderfire Cannon

5x Scout Bikers

The lists being posted are BERSERK.  

Theres a triple knight (castellan led) list.  

There's another DW/BA list which I think is arguably better than mine (30 primaris).  

Theres a 17 Harlie Jetbike, 10 reaper list. 

And there's one of the nastiest Tau brigades I've seen. 

I'm in for a rough time. 

Edited by Morticon

In all seriousness, 

The Tau matchup is in my opinion actually the hardest. 

He's rocking:

Shadowsun

Ethereal 

Fireblade

6x5 Firewarriors

3x Riptides

2x Firesight Marksmen

3x Shield Drones 6/6/5

5x Path Finder

5x Path Finder

2x Broadsides -SMS/Rails

1x Broadsides - SMS/Missiles
1x Broadsides - SMS/Missiles

I've run "simulations" in my head. All things being equal, there's no way I can beat this.  (This is assuming he plays "competently well").  If he deploys in standard castle, I cant use my standard all in approach of Libby, Smashy, Bikers, and 1 squad of DW. I just cant put enough damage out with the drones there (assuming again theyd be in cover).  Alternative is to go for second and have a "hard drop". 

3 squads of  DW, smash and assassin - but again, i dont think i can beat it.  I will play my heart out though, and see how it goes. 

Vs. the Knight list, a lot is going to depend on a variety of factors.  He only has 30 infantry.  So, i'll smash those up quick quick.  The rest will rely on how well I use my CP to kill his big boys. It will be a horrid battle but I feel I have a fighting chance here, at least.  

Vs. the DW List...

2 BA Smashies, Lib dread, 3 scouts (ouch),

3 Hellhounds, 30 marines, 2 commanders

then WatchMaster, Libby

and....

10x Primaris (one inceptor, one aggressor)

and an assassin. 

This for me is going to be the toughest to beat.  Really, really rough army against mine.  And gives away SO little in the ITC format.  

Keep you Warlord still T1 within line of sight and use an Orbital Strike...

Great minds, bud!! This is actually one of the things I practiced in my mind!!!! Will defs consider it. Was easier with the Phobos guy as WL, but i think if i play for a turn 2 strike, it's probably the way to go. 

I play against Tau a lot in ITC. Because of the brigade he's got a lot of MSU. I'd suggest taking butcher's bill against him, normally this objective is pretty difficult but against Tau it's quite easy. Depending on the deployment map I would probably deep strike the terminator vet squad and intercessors and go for a turn 2 play. This way you can draw LOS on drones (remember they aren't infantry so don't get cover unless they are 50% obscured.) Remember to use the DW Strat to remove marker lights when one of your 10 man units get lit up to +1 bs. Unfortunately riptides delete primaris, so don't expect them to live past turn 2. Are you still running an assassin? Callidus is probably the best for taxing them, they are cp happy. Would probably extend it turn 2 as well. Eversor dies to greater good and vindicare gets blocked by drones. Getting kill more is pretty easy against Tau (because of MSU) so just ride the bonus point every round and try to go even on secondaries.

I've been looking at Warlord traits. 

While the majority of games are likely to see the "Super-smash" version of the Cap being taken, there will be times where other options are better. 

In the case of the Nid matchup for example, the 5+ FNP or even Soul Warden will come in handy.  Against Eldar, because I want the flyers dead quick, I will likely opt for Artisan, despite Soul Warden, of even the 6" heroic being a good option. 

Knights and Tau will obviously see me going Artisan, as will most IG games.  

Been thinking more and more about that Tau list.  Here are some of the tactics I'm looking at if I wind up against it.  

In the event of a short board edge game, I feel I will be forced to play a second turn game. This is on account of me not being able to cover enough ground with enough units to bring a full first strike to bear. 

* I will set up expecting (hoping for?) a  2nd turn.   I will take an Eversor Assassin and deepstrike all 3 DW units as well as the Smash Cap.  If I have PL available, I will look keeping the DW Cap in reserve too. 

* I'm unlikely to take the beacon, or a Phobos Libby relic in order to conserve CP (after burning 3 for the DW teleporting).

* The scouts and scout bikers I will use defensively, placing out of range, but hopefully on multiple objectives. They will be out of the game, I feel, for most of this type of match up.  The scout bikers, if they manage to survive, will zip out and support the dropping force in turn 2.  

* Depending on my opponents movement and play, I MAY even consider dropping all these units in turn 3, allowing me some long range pot shots, and avoiding literally 3 turns of Tau shooty death.  But this will depend on his movement.  I may do this especially if he calls Kauyon. 

In the event of a long board edge however, if we are playing missions 1,3,5  ....I think I am likely to risk my entire game on a single dice gamble. 

I know what forces I can bring to bear in turn 1 on a short board.  With 3 scout squads, 1 Phobos Libby, 10 Vets (biker/shield), the Dread and Smashy up in the grills - supported by the DW Libby and Cappy and the Scout bikers....I think my only chance is overwhelming assault/attack. 

I'm likely to deploy the 10 intercessors too, and just use them to plant pot shots downtown with bolter drill (still good with the -1 weapon of the basic intercessor) on his Warriors.

A lot will depend on my ability to get rid of the drones, however.  EVERYTHING will rely on terrain, and his set up - (assuming I can get to go first). 

If he wins that dice roll though, my aggressive set up will see me shot off the board in 2-3 turns. 

@Mort I do wonder something. Have you considered a gift of foresight warlord trait on the smash captain instead? If you give the captain death visions it increases the FNP to a 5+ with rerolls of 1 which makes him insanely tanky. Youd lose 1 damage on the hammer but what you get for it in return feels like its worth it to me :)

@Mort I do wonder something. Have you considered a gift of foresight warlord trait on the smash captain instead? If you give the captain death visions it increases the FNP to a 5+ with rerolls of 1 which makes him insanely tanky. Youd lose 1 damage on the hammer but what you get for it in return feels like its worth it to me :smile.:

I have!! In fact, I've been looking at the lists on BCP and figuring out which ones I'd use GoF with.  Vs. the hardcore DeathWatch list for example, I'd be taking that! 

For the Tau, I have thought about it, but in all honesty, I think getting 4 wounds through to kill a 'Tide vs 5 wounds is really game changing. I get one suicide shot with the smashy on two riptides, and have to go for the kill.