Xenith's Xenos - Eldar, Necrons and Orks

Xenith

Thanks Space Wolf! 

The war walker is still a test piece to try and recreate the bright green - I had some old cans of scoprion green that I did the original tanks with, however after another...15 years in storage they haven't fared too well and are pretty much dead :(

Xenith, have you tried Escorpena Green/Scorpion Green/Scorpy Green from the Vallejo Game Color (72.032/72.732 in the Air version) line to see if that’s close enough to be a substitute for you?  It should be very close to the GW Scorpion Green. 

The Falcon, Fire Prism, and Vyper look great, here’s hoping you can come up with a color to match that you like!  The War Walker turned out pretty well, but it has color variation that the tanks and heavy jet bike don’t have.

I've been working on the two Vypers I've vowed for Anger and Arrogance, in the new war-walker scheme of Tesseract glow over wraithbone, as my Striking Scorpion sprays have 100% died (they're like 20+ years old, I think the propellant has vented in 2020's heat, if that's possible?). The scheme isn't 100% what I was looking for, but it's coming together with the orange. I've also tried the wraithbone-braiding that's on my Falcon - lovingly ripped off from the Eavy Metal Ulthw

Xenith, have you tried Escorpena Green/Scorpion Green/Scorpy Green from the Vallejo Game Color (72.032/72.732 in the Air version) line to see if that’s close enough to be a substitute for you? It should be very close to the GW Scorpion Green.

The Falcon, Fire Prism, and Vyper look great, here’s hoping you can come up with a color to match that you like! The War Walker turned out pretty well, but it has color variation that the tanks and heavy jet bike don’t have.

I have not! But that's an excellent tip, thank you - I was wondering about alternatives. Would the Vallejo cover well? If not, I might look at coat d'armes. Or maybe I just need to finally get an airbrush...

Thanks also, I'm not 100% sold on the walker yet, I need to try some more models in that scheme and see how I feel. It can always be painted over!

I love the bright green on those Eldar vehicles: really makes them stand out nicely on a table! Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dos! Haven't painted Eldar properly in a while, it's great to return to a scheme and army that I love!

I managed to get another game in on Monday, non-tournament this time against Ted's Orks. We played tempest of war, which is fun, and maybe how I want to play 40k going forwards. The Orks were dangerous, but some maybe poor target priority stifled my opponent, and my counter attack was too much for them - 10 guided warp spiders shooting a doomed unit of Nobz isn't pretty...though they only killed 4/5... The spiders then murdered the killa kanz that appeared from a tellyporta behind my lines - so they were definitely the stars of the show.

Honourable mentions go to my farseer who got crept up on and rokkited by the kanz...but used lightning fast, a fate save roll and a command reroll to take zero damage, then also my dual star cannon war walker that got charged by the warboss with killy klaw. I forgot to use my fate to hit dice in my turn...so I burned 2 of them on overwatch on the warboss, who took 4 wounds, wirh the farseer then flying over him with falchou's wing in the movement phase for the kill.

On the Ork side, the shooting was amazing, the KMB's pasted a falcon, while the star was the Mek with Shokk Attack Gun, who managed 11 shots, at like S10 on the fire prism and nuked it T1! I can only imagine the terror of the pilots as a dozen frenzied snotlings appeared inside...

gallery_58096_16708_201867.jpg

I forgot how far trukk boyz can move and assault, and was way out of position, so these nobz charged my front line, but went into the [expendable] bikes and war walker.

gallery_58096_16708_18486.jpg

gallery_58096_16708_43588.jpg

Sneaky-sneaky killy Farseer.

gallery_58096_16708_227033.jpg

Edited by Xenith

The Escorpena/Scorpy Green should cover pretty well (likely use three thinned coats for good coverage, depending on the undercoat), but maybe not quite as well as the GW paint did - I recall that line of GW paints being on the thicker side, while my experience with the Vallejo Game line is they are thinner than the equivalent GW paint.  That could just be my faulty memory and feeling like my GW paints were always too thick - however, this may have been the result of crappy pot design, not an actual paint issue, they had just dried out more.

I will say that I definitely like my airbrush, but it’s a lower quality one off Amazon, so I have only used it for basecoating and terrain at this point - haven’t even busted out the 0.2 mm needle and kit yet to see if I can layer with it.  I do like the under and base coat results I get with it though.

I've completed my Anger and Arrogance vow of two Vypers. I'm away this weekend, but when I get back I might revow, I've just undercoated some rangers, so these are prime candidates.

I, Xenith, vow to complete two Vyper Jetbikes for a total of 6 power on or before the 16th May 2022.

gallery_58096_16708_425625.jpg

Calling this vow finished! These bikes were ebay rescues so didnt come with canopies and were missing a gunner, as per the unpainted shot - you can see helf of my third Vyper next to them to compare ym old and new schemes.

gallery_58096_16708_291373.jpg

Here's a full image with the third Vyper. Still not 100% on the scheme - I think I've got too fixated on the spray scorpion green, I might try and paint one by hand, and see if it's as painful as I remember.

gallery_58096_16708_416939.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been working over the end of last week on some old schhol rangers/pathfinders for my Elves - Back in 4th when I played Eldar regularly, my 2 compulsory troops were 10 guardians and 3 jetbikes. Suddenly in 9th, I have one painted troops choice, and I need 3 to field a batallion. This unit is painted using contrasts only (will get more pics up soon) while I have another unit I started ages ago in a darker scheme that will be traditional paints with some weird space elf camo.

gallery_58096_16708_356218.jpg

Cross post from the Hive Fleets - I lost the tournament semi-finals to my Death Guard opponent! Very tough and close game.

3rd game of the tourney vs a tough Death Guard list - this was the semi final and I got drawn against maybe the worst list for me to face.

Mortarion

2x1 blight haulers

1x1 drone with fleshmower

2x PBC's

Death Guard

Primaries - 45

Grind - 9

Engage - 14

Spread - 6

Painted - 10

Total - 84

Nids

Primary - 45

Stranglehold - 12

Interrogation - 9

Banners - 3

Painted - 10

Total - 79

Really close and hard fought game - There was no way I could out shoot or out fight the Death guard, and I really had no answer to Morty, so I just had to go for board control. In the end, the -1D on everything, and appalling rolling from myself were just too great obstacles for me to overcome - The Hive guard rolled a single 3 for damage over the course of 3 turns double shooting, so maybe 30 wound dice, and a single 5+. Likewise, 3 on the super smite, then a single 5 on damage for the tervi claws. Similarly, opponent was unlucky with hit rolls for multimeltas and the like, but was on fire with morty's 5+ fnp - in my turn 3, a super smite and psychic scream did no wounds.

Zoans were stellar again in holding morty up - they tanked his damage output for 2 turns before falling back to let me try to shoot the plague drone with the hive guard (no wounds).

My opponent played extrememly well, he knows this army and went 4-1 at the feb team tourney, and was possibly robbed in the game he lost - this was always going to be a tough match. In the end the scores were way closer than I had ever imagined, based on our lists, literally a couple of rolls would have changed the outcome - faling to spread the sickness in turn 2 and failing to deny one interrogation would have won me the game. Likewise, failing a single save on a ravener would have cost me 2 turns of holding an objective.

I keep going for banners. I dont know why, it never works for me - this game was way too close and personal, and my units too squishy. A single homers in their DZ would have got me more, though not enough to win. Any ideas on a decent third secondary option for nids?

gallery_58096_13272_99313.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_80976.jpg

More updates from the Hive Fleets - I've made my vow for A Bug's Life 2022 - A decent 34 power leve, though thankfully concentrated into 4 large models and one character - Looks like I'll need to stock up on Akhelian green this summer!

On another note, in for a penny, in for a pound of biomass.

I Xenith, Swarmlord of Hive Fleet Jabberwocky, vow to paint One Tyrannocyte, One Mawloc, One Carnifex, One Exocrine and One Parasite for a total of 34 Power Level before the 22nd August 2022.

gallery_58096_13272_49330.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_236568.jpg

June and July are really busy for me, but I hope I can knock some of these out at the weekends.

---------------------

Updated to here.

• 1 month later...

I visited Warhammer World with my gaming group at the weekend, fun was had all round, and my mission to play more Eldar to get some use out of the codex has succeeded! Two more games under my belt with them, and I'm getting more comfortable with them. I still need to make some actual fate dice though, and actually remember to use them! 

Game 1 v Deathwing

My 1000pt army EDIT: 1120pt army - gforgot my opponent had a weird point total and asked tp up the game level, so I added the frgons in at the last minute. 

large.IMG20220716131420.jpg.980a8cf295cab0ee8c9cc8968ac03c9c.jpg

Deployment, with the fragons in the falcon performing a cloudstrike. I forgot melee engagement range was 5" vertically also, and those rangers on the left bought it fast :facepalm:

large.IMG20220716114508.jpg.6c0424d4e5b514136b41eccaff7619fc.jpg

Guide/Doom Avengers are actually amazing now, and they did all the heavy lifting in the list. Between them and some additional fire from the spiders, they basicalyl took down a deathwing unit per turn - the below dice roll is my wounds, after removing all the 6's for AP-4. A 10 man unit bladestorming, I was getting about 8 6's, with maybe 3-4 misses in total, so 29 hits, boosted to around 35-40 with bladestorm. 40 hits becomes 30 wounds with doom, with about 8-10 rending hits after rerolls, and 20 other wounds, so THSS terms have to make ~10 4++, then 20 3+ saves, for about 11-12 failed saves. 

large.IMG20220716120826.jpg.cc028064f533d485293f403414cc9568.jpg

Opponent got eager to kill the rangers, and charged his hero support away from his characters, opening them up to a fragon assault - between the fragons and pulse laser, some terms died, along with the apothecary and belial seriously injured. 

large.IMG20220716120841.jpg.7530ae050bc19fa2c2e08704f8bff9a1.jpg

DW reserves come in, 3 long charges to make and my opponent rolls 11, 9, 12! Some dead elves. However the ones attacking the prism whiff, and it flies away next turn. 

large.IMG20220716122532.jpg.41767f44ab44a17d07d72c70962cfd53.jpg

Nice fun game overall, victory to the Eldar, who were much faster than the deathwing and could isolate and pick the units off one by one. We called it at the end of T3 as he had 1 THSS term unit left.

Next game was against some fists, just the start and end photos here, really close fun tempest of war game, that ended 75-75, so a massive draw! The list was the same as the above, with the addition of another unit of rangers, 10 guardians with platform and second farseer with crushing orb and executioner to make a batallion, then a unit of bikes. 

large.IMG20220717133842.jpg.fa1abd57cec64ef6f13ffd1175e6eb76.jpg

If those fragons had battle focussed 2" further, they'd have made it into my opponent's DZ to get linebreaker and win - or if I'd used the fate dice advance roll - howver I'd used it on the avengers to get them onto that last objective. 

Eldar with Children of the Open Skies are SO DAMN FAST it's unreal. My Falcho wing seer can fly 14" a turn, tanks move 18", an even move 10" on lowest bracket. Basic infantry dudes like avengers moving 8" is also great, same with fragons disembarking from a falcon. 

Fist shooting is also dangerous now - captain had the reroll 1's to wound relic, chaplain had +1 to hit, +1 to wound abilities, then assault bolt intercessors got 30 shots, exploding sixes, rerolling 1's to hit and wound - they did some work to my tanks, actually! I only survived this as he tried to bolter my tabks instead of the infantry. Different game if he shot my men. 

Executioner is a really good power - especially on low W value units where you can get the kill easily - in my case, against the bladeguard I crushed their orbs first, taking one to 1W, then executionered, killing one and knocking a wound off the last, then another D3 killed him. Brutal. 

large.IMG20220717161719.jpg.8aaf40629460af728104202c2ff2460d.jpg

Edited by Xenith

1500pts game vs orks last night:

Mission was Abandoned Sanctuaries vs Orks. Overall a 72-68 loss for the Eldar - doesn't get much closer than that!  

Eldar
No Prisoners (~8), Engage (9), RND (12); Primaries (4, 2, 4, 19)

Orks
Crump (12), Engage (~8), RND (4); Primaries (14, 14, 6, 4)

Despite holding all 5 objectives at the end of the game, going second, as well as the central objective at the end of my turn and the end of the game, then getting both the last RND and Engage for a total of 26VP in my final turn, I still lost! My opponent played the mission well, and threatened my on objectives. He stole one off me with some ObSec boys in their turn 4 which stopped me from drawing, and I stupidly had a turn where I was on no objectives (12+2+5 = 19 Primary; last RND = 4; Engage = 3)  Total = 26 ).

I made a good comeback, but needed to do this at least one turn faster. Fire Dragond are nice and all, however they are a bit of a one trick pony and are expensive. I think another prism or a bright lance/pulse laser falcon could do the same job, but from turn 1, rather than having to chase stuff around the table. I definitely needed some more firepower. Dropping 1 jetbike to give the rest scatter laser might be cool. Scatter lasers with 6 shots are great, and really put the hurt to the orks. Spiders performed better here than in other games - Armour of Contempt really hurts them.

Some more throwaway, fast units like 2x vypers, one with scatter and a bright lance might work well here. I'll have to rejig the list a bit! 

Deployment
large.IMG20220725201034.jpg.723ab37660350694f51ec3159029cf72.jpg

End of Eldar T1
large.IMG20220725205051.jpg.7532a5a6eebd2dae628496e32d214142.jpg

The trukk and boys within are vapourised, and the eldar line up their sights on the deff dread.
large.IMG20220725205059.jpg.ee1c75e95c38b187e47acadbff01f11a.jpg

End of game.
large.IMG20220725231255.jpg.d23e8c7ff30f087324d67aa9b3f09005.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Got my ass kicked by the new Chaos Knights in a Tempest of War game last night

My List:

Spoiler
+++ Eldar 1500 Tanks (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [76 PL, 10CP, 1,500pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [76 PL, 10CP, 1,500pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Craftworld Selection
. *Far-Flung Craftworld*: Children of the Open Skies, Hunters of Ancient Relics

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: 3. Chapter Approved: War Zone Nachmund

+ Stratagems +

Stratagem: Treasures of the Aeldari [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner [5 PL, -1CP, 105pts]: 4: Fate's Messenger, Laser Lance, Stratagem: Champion of the Aeldari
. Sunstorm

Farseer [5 PL, 95pts]: 1. Guide, 2. Doom, 3: Falcon's Swiftness, Warlord, Witchblade
. Faolchu's Wing

+ Troops +

Guardian Defenders [5 PL, 110pts]
. 10x Guardian Defender: 10x Plasma Grenades, 10x Shuriken Catapult
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Scatter Laser

Rangers [4 PL, 65pts]
. 5x Ranger: 5x Ranger Long Rifle, 5x Shuriken Pistol

Rangers [4 PL, 65pts]
. 5x Ranger: 5x Ranger Long Rifle, 5x Shuriken Pistol

+ Elites +

Dire Avengers [7 PL, 155pts]
. 9x Dire Avenger: 9x Avenger Shuriken Catapult, 9x Plasma Grenades
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Avenger Shuriken Catapult, Shredding Fire

Howling Banshees [4 PL, 95pts]
. 4x Howling Banshee: 4x Banshee Blade, 4x Shuriken Pistol
. Howling Banshee Exarch: Mirrorblades

+ Fast Attack +

Vypers [3 PL, 55pts]
. Vyper w/ Bright Lance: Bright Lance

Warp Spiders [5 PL, 110pts]
. 4x Warp Spider: 4x Death Spinner
. Warp Spider Exarch: Death Spinner

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [9 PL, 165pts]
. 4x Dark Reaper: 4x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Reaper Launcher, Reaper's Reach

Falcon [9 PL, 170pts]: Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon

Fire Prism [8 PL, 165pts]: Prism Cannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult 

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [8 PL, 145pts]: Twin Scatter Laser, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Opponent had:

Herpetrax - (+4 wounds on knights, +2 wounds on dogs)

1x abonimant - no rerolls against, ignores -ve penalties - blessing of the dark master
wardog with melta and gatling - deepstrike
melta gatling - nurgle - aura of corruption
claw and chainsword - exploding 6's - throne mechanicum of skulls
Helverin type. - can change a save to an auto 6 - mirror of fates
Claw and sword -

I didn't know what I'd be facing, so took an all-comers list. I thought I had enough lances, but apparently not. Poor scoring game, my initial draw were all 'get into opposing DZ objectives that I couldn't score until T3 earliest and would have cost CP to burn. The score was like 101 - 71 to the knights - I managed to get onto enough objectives late game and do some more scoring, but this was an uphill battle. In the end I killed 4 armigers, leaving the khorne one, tzeetch helverin and abominant basically untouched. 

As you can see from the deplyment below, I was pressed against the back edge all game, and only really able to move out once I'd killed a few armigers, making scoring pretty hard. All elves being made of wet tissue paper meant anything that was caught, died also. Rotate ion shields in particular fouled me up, as the Eldar tactic of dooming a target then dismanting them telegraphed which one to rotate on. Despite my recent moan about Prisms, I think this is one game where two would have proved their worth in the Link Fire strat. I brought the reapers for a laugh, and they did ok...maybe 6-12 wounds of a knight in total, however their 165pts could probably have gone to a more mobile prism. Banshees did surprisingly well against the wardogs - the unit got 20 attacks on one, and crippled it on the charge, then killed it over the next 2 rounds. Wounding T7 on a 4+ from the +1 to wound o nthe charge is good. If it would have been doomed, even better. Even weirder is that the Avengers actually did a number on wardogs also - shredding fire put them on the invuln on any wounding hit, and the volume of fire got through the rotated shields. I guided the reapers in T1 thinking the starshot missiles were heavy 2, however that was a flub. Guiding the avengers would have changed things. 

Knights move way too fast and have no weaknesses. A 14" moving wardog is only just slower than an Eldar skimmer moving at full combat speed? Prior to 8th ed, Monstrous creatures like this had a base move of 6", or 12" if winged, and were still decent, even with a scary statline at the time being T6, 4W, 4+ invuln. I think Knights would be more balanced if the move was dropped to 8 and 10" for the large and small respectively. They'd still get objectives, but only in T2 as opposed to being able to take them all t1. 

Thoughts on Eldar- Avengers seem to be the best unit. 130pts gets 6 spiders for ~24 shots at 12" with 2D6 fall back, or 10 avengers for 33 S4 rending shots at 18" with D6" fall back. If you can doom a target, then avengers seem a hell of a lot better. 

large.IMG20220801201714.jpg.41fc86cdb3486237414a3345d7976c43.jpg

large.IMG20220801201705.jpg.c4404a35d3723518e421db111cfae671.jpg

Sounds like a tough matchup. Would a pair of Prisms helped do you think? I know the Linked Fire strat is expensive but turning off Invulns against Knights could be a game changer.

The other thing that springs to mind against Knights are actually Wraithlords. T8 with the -1 Damage rule makes them quite durable against a lot of Knight weapons. Take a pair with Ghostglaives (shoulder weapons to taste) and they would make short work of the Abominant in melee.

Glad to see the Avengers are working well for you. I have 20 and they were always a staple of my lists but I was disappointed by the move to Elites.

Yea, dual Prisms was one thought, I know I complained about them, but they do seem to be the only thing we have to deal with high T invuln save stuff at range. Melee was the other one, I was really surprised at how effective the banshees were at stripping wounds - though they went into the knight without a melee weapon, a wardog chainsword would have murdered them. 

I'll have to try out the Wraithlords - I have a few that need making up, and they're decent platforms for heavy weapons.

Avengers are great, but they should have stayed as troops (maybe losing defensive stance?). We have no useful troop units. 

Edited by Xenith

• 1 month later...

I got another game in with my Eldar last night, really tough game against a friend experienced in the tournament scene and their necrons. 

Eldar 1999pts (6CP)
Children of open skies, hunters of ancient relics

Farseer skyrunner - crushing orb, executioner
Farseer - guide doom warlord
Autarch - WJG, fusion, starglaive
Warlock Skyrunner - Quicken

2x 5 Rangers x2 wireweave
10 Guardian defenders

5 banshees, mirrorswords
5 scorpions, biting blade
10 Avengers, dual cats

Vyper, scatter
7 Spiders, exarch, dual spinners
3 spears, paragon sabre, heartstrike

2 prisms

serpent, twin lances
serpent, twin scatters

Necrons Outrider (1CP)
Rad-wreathed relentless expansionists

Lord, warscythe, thrall of the silent king
Technomancer, staff of light

Nightbringer :ohmy:

6 wraiths, claws
6 wraiths, claws
6 wraiths, claws

2x 3 scarabs

1x 3 Spyders, beamers

2x doomstalkers

Recover the relics

Eldar Primary - (40)
Secondaries
Scout Enemy (12)
Mental Interrogation (6)
Engage (11)

Necron Primary (20+11)
Secondaries
Treasures of Aeons (11)
Ancient Machineries (8)
Assassinate (10)

Result 69-60 to the Eldar!

However then you add painting scores and it's 70-69 to the necrons - Moral victory to me, actual victory to the Necrons. 

This was a tough game and I had to think about every damn move - my opponent had taken this list to a tournament recently and I think done ok - minus a stomping from Chaos Knights, and this was against my hotch-potch Eldar - this would be my first game using the scouts to try for scout enemy, the shining spears and also the skyrunner and warlock. My opponent locked me down early and I struggled to break out of my DZ due to wraiths moving 6" pregame, then 15" from dynatic codes and the lord. Underestimating how far they could go, in addition to the technomancer being able to bring one back on 50mm bases for a bonus 5" movement range also saw my seers get punked early on - my warlock got off one interrogation before getting sliced, the skyrunner seer then picked up the slack and did another interrogation. Doomseer though he was safe in the guardian unit, but got got. 

Once they were in my lines, it was the typical isolate and destroy, and the spiders did well, killing 2-3 wraiths a turn. The army is still in flux, things that have underperformed are the melee aspects - however this is maybe as they've charged poor targets. I need to give a melee aspect spam list a go sometime. The war walker is a question mark. I really need more fast attack slots, but was unwilling to lose 3CP to an outrider detachment in this game, but it might have worked. Scout enemy as great with the rangers as they can pop in turn 3/4 in the opposing DZ for a quick 8 points, adding another unit of them would be good to get that going for another turn - or maybe I don't need it as vehicles can perform it also,they just need to survive. 

I don't think I need the 3 psykers, and it opens me to to assassination (13pts) and abhor (9pts). I don't seem to have much luck with psyhic secondaries, however I thought interro would have been good. Ritual would have got me killed earlier this game, but I'd need a farseer to go in, perform, then quicken out of dodge. I might try this again with scry futures - that should be an easy 9. 

My DZ

large.IMG20220912202301.jpg.9e8cfdac3d8fdfb6db7b1f772dc1c198.jpg

Necron ball of death 

large.IMG20220912202309.jpg.1140103a8ba20940357c76b4dbce9da0.jpg

Deployment

large.IMG20220912202353.jpg.f84123aa2a60e91e39c09f13dcbd143a.jpg

What was left at the end. Overall I managed to grind down the necrons and keep away from them with the majority of my tanks as my opponent focussed on the troops and characters, allowing the tanks to scoot about. A few times I've felt like even the 18" from open skies isn't enough, so I might try a star engines army sometime for a laugh. 4 serpents would also probably fit the bill. 

large.IMG20220913001641.jpg.351aeddaa58b8a62690c13ec1ea53134.jpg