Which Primarchs will switch sides?

CCE1981

I am expecting that sometime this year will should see more Primarchs emerge. I am curious what others think on this topic? Will it be the obvious or will there be subverted expectations?

I have been reading a lot of 40k wikias lately, and the Alpha Legion with their twin Primarchs kinda intrigues me. What if Alpharion, assuming he is alive, decides the Imperium is beyond saving? And Omegon is uterly disgusted by the warp? We get our two Primarchs that “changed sides”, no real differentiation in the current state of affairs, I can’t see anyone being too peeved about their faction switching sides. There will be a few that will be upset if that is the case I am sure.

Well there it is, what is everyones thoughts?

From my understanding, Chaos in 40k is not something you can turn away from or recover from. It's not like the Dark Side of the the force. Once Chaos has you, you're not getting out. So if a Chaos Primarch decided to turn around, and actually succeeded, it would be very unfitting of the lore. I think the closest example we have of this is Curze, but from my understanding, even he realized that there was no turning back from Chaos and chose suicide instead.

Loyal Primarchs turning heretical is more possible, but you gotta realize that at this point in the lore, the remaining loyal Primarchs are probably taking precautions to make sure they don't give into chaos. The Primarchs who became heretics in 30k, to some extent, had their guard down against Chaos. The entire Imperium had their guard down against chaos. But now it's not like that anymore. Everyone is fully aware of what Chaos is, and even the slightest hint of it is dealt with severely by the Imperium before it can grow. So it's a lot less likely for some sort of saboteur to worm heretical notions into a loyal Primarch's ear during the 41st millenium. 

And finally, it wouldn't make sense from a business perspective for GW. A lot of the fans of these Primarchs see them as they currently are. For example, a lot of Imperial Fist players see Dorn as a loyal Primarch. If Dorn came back as a heretic, it would piss off a lot of Imperial Fist fans, to the point where they might not even buy his 40k model. But if Dorn comes back as a loyal Primarch, I think it'd be a much safer business decision for GW. I've used Dorn as an example, but you can apply this logic to pretty much all Primarch, be they loyal or heretic. People might be less interested to buy new models of their primarch if their primarch is no longer who they thought they were.

No Primarchs will switch sides. The Daemon Primarchs are irredeemable, they wouldn't dare make a Loyalist switch, and at best Omegon (Alpharius is dead) - assuming he's alive - might be ambiguous/ambivalent but would not turn loyal. In a scenario with an AL "Primarch" returned I'd expect a Cypher like figure who is a part of the CSM faction but largely does strange things that nobody fully understands the reasoning behind.

None of any established chapters/legions will switch sides simply for marketing reasons. It would upset fans of said chapter/legion too much.

They did say something about primarchs switching sides in the beginning of 8th think it was in the same stream where they said that primaris could be upgraded which everyone thought was a mistake as it wasn't backed up in the lore anywhere...We now know how that turned out. I would never say never.

They said something along the lines of not everyone might return on the side we are expecting. They didn't specifically say Primarchs or whatever though. Although the most likely thing I could imagine would be the Fulgrim clone getting released by Trazyn and take command of the Sons of the Phoenix loyalist chapter ... however that would mean GW would give Fulgrim/EC fans twice as much attention as others which seems unlikely as well.

More specifically they said that not everyone will return to the faction we expect, IIRC, rather than anything about anyone specifically switching sides. I took that to mean probably Dorn leading the BT instead if IF or Corax taking control of the assassinorium or whatever.

The blurb meant someone like Dorn or Russ coming back and leading an alternative to Guilliman's Imperium Sanctus, more than likely.

Whaaaat? I have started to paint my Primaris yellow, rivalling empires would really be a shame.

Or Ferrus leading the Legion of the Damned. :whistling:

I don't see that realistically happening but that would be very cool. That's heavy metal right there. And it's be great to give IH players a little love since they don't get too much attention.

Is Ferrus came back it should be something like the mortis engine for fantasy, a sea of spectral figures with ghostly Ferrus at its head - kind of like an AoS endless spell - possibly for the grey knights.

I think they meant less switching sides and more being part of a new faction. I fancy a hyper religious Black Templar, Sisters of Battle and Rogal Dorn faction myself.

But for example I see Angron leading daemons of khorne instead of World eaters since they are mostly disbanded.

I think GW missed that opportunity by bringing back two Daemon Primarchs leading their Legions already. Now people expect Angron to come back with proper World Eaters and doing otherwise would just create a huge :cuss storm.

Oh don't get me wrong, berserker sculpts need an update, but they won't make a functional army.

I expect to see it released with Angron but not codex world eaters. Maybe some sort of khorne daemon kin. But hey I'm just speculating I could be wrong.

I don't think anybody would've said that Plague Marines or Rubric Marines on their own were going to make a functional army. GW would obviously add new units to Berzerker to create a World Eater Codex.

True, but I'm just going with the topic of the thread. It would be unfair for them to be the only ones without a dedicated codex.

Is it bad to want them at Armaggedon?

Would love a box set BT Vs WE. Khârn vs Emperor Champion. GW should hire me.

But back on topic, there aren't too many primarchs that we can see leading a different faction.

Ferrus Manus and LoTD (would they be Primaris LoTD now?) Dorn leading BT?

Archived