All terminator army?

Terminators are super slow too.

Yes, over the course of a game, they'll move 6'' less than regular Marines.

Better to Deep Strike against most opponents (so that means maximum half the points), or keep standing in deployment zone against a very aggressive opponent.

When you pay points for terminators, you're also paying points for the deepstrike. I'm a believer of the "make use of everything you're paying for" mentality, so if I were to run terminators, I'd use them to deep strike something on turn two, and then get a charge either on that same turn or the one after. And because terminators are coming in on turn two, I'd try to build the rest of my list to be super durable, which is where things like scout-spam or intercessor-spam would work. If you were to run a pure terminator army, you'd have to keep at least half of them on the board, at which point you might even want to keep all of them on the board.

But the way I'd do it is something like 60 intercessors backed by a captain and leuitenant, and then the rest on terminators with thunderhammer+stormshields to deepstrike something and charge it the next turn. So 60 intercessors is about 1080 points with power fist sergeants, and then the primaris capt in gravis + leuitenant is another 200 points or so. That should give you about 700 points for deepstriking terminators. Hmm, I might try this out one day. You could even put the terminators into an elite detatchment with a librarian for one extra CP. This isn't an "all terminator" army, but it's how I would approach running lots of terminators.

Probably the best bet is running a deathwatch termie list.

1) SIA

2) no requirement for fists

So even though the stormbolters cost more they should be the same or slightly less cost per body, for significantly increased shooting damage.

I used a terminator list in an itc tournament so 3 squads of termies (one 10 man strong) 3 with cyclone and 1 with assault cannon, 3 squads of scouts ven dread with double ac, helverin and captain and librarian at 1750 pts. Came 18th out of 35. Lost to an elder soup list drew against a thunderwolf list and won against a Imperial guard tank/assassin list. I used the salamanders chapter tactics and storm of fire (?) Warlord trait. The ability to reroll failed hit and wound rolls on the cyclones certainly helped. Also played against a space marine and knight lost and won handily.

The AC ven dread did some work, helverin was normally focused down early on. Terminator captain is not as good as primaris captain in gravis armour as the +1 T makes a difference.

If I can work out how to post a picture I will!

gallery_21642_15323_148861.jpg

gallery_21642_15323_191514.jpg

I think most people would give their Captain a Stormshield anyway so the 3++ is not much of an argument for me. You basically trade a ranged weapon for way slower movement and the M4 and half advance roll is what I dislike about Cataphractii the most in the first place. :sweat:

Yeah being slow does suck. But I would always teleport said Capytan or perhaps Land Raider one day (gulp - the points sink!).

I like giving him a Relic Blade and Combi plasma. Delicious firepower and decent close combat potential with a solid defence. It's a way of getting everything in 1 model.

Yeah being slow does suck. But I would always teleport said Capytan or perhaps Land Raider one day (gulp - the points sink!).

I like giving him a Relic Blade and Combi plasma. Delicious firepower and decent close combat potential with a solid defence. It's a way of getting everything in 1 model.

I swing back and forth between a storm bolter and relic blade (for fluff) and TH + combi plasma (for killyness). Almost always with the sanctic halo for 3++. M4 and M5 are almost irrelevant if you're deep striking, which you should be doing almost all the time with TDA.

I'm gonna give my revised 1st company list a spin at the weekend, with the following additions:

1) Scouts - the dual purpose of fulfilling a battalion for more CP, and helps with deep striking by having boots on the ground on T1. Fluff wise it's well established that the 10th company will work with the 1st as infiltrators, with the terminators and such arriving via deep strike

2) Dreadnoughts - two venerable' switch autocannons and a single contemptor Morris with twin lascannon's. 1st Company lists have always struggled with anti tank, and this is the most cost efficient and fluffy way to get them in there

3) Sternguard vets - 2 x 5 man squads with two heavy weapons in each. Costs about the same as a similarly equipped devastator squad but benefits from vet stat line, special bolt guns and fits the theme. Also works with the following;

4) Razorbacks - twin lascannon or las/plas. Adds more desperately needed heavy weapons, with the benefit of providing mobility for Sternguard and armour redundancy to try and keep dreads alive longer.

Round this out with whatever HQ's you prefer (telion and techmarine for me) and a couple squads of termies and the list looks something like this:

9 CP

Battalion

HQ Telion

HQ Techmarine

TROOP Scouts - bolters and HB

TROOP Scouts - bolters and HB

TROOP Scouts - sniper rifles

ELITE Sternguard, 2 missile launchers

ELITE Sternguard, 2 missile launchers

ELITE Ven dread, twin autocannons

ELITE Ven dread, twin autocannons

HEAVY Contemptor Mortis, twin lascannon's

TRANSPORT Razorback, twin lascannon's

TRANSPORT Razorback, twin lascannon's

Vanguard Detachment

HQ - TDA captain

ELITE Terminators, cyclone missile

ELITE Terminators, cyclone missile

ELITE Assault Terminators, TH+SS

Comes to 1966 by my tally. It's hardly optimal, but it's fun, fluffy and has lots of room to change as you see fit. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I like that list stickeh.

I'd make a few changes, like no missiles in the Sternguard for 1, if your delivering them in razors, keep the special issue bolters, but looks like a very nice 1st company list that seems solid, and easily tweaked.

For the venerables, I'd prefer twin-las and fist, just to add more *punch* (puns ahoy) and run them up the mid-field.

Archived