Aztec/Mayan inspired space marine chapter?

Ulfast

Hello fellow B&C members

I just had an idea that a space marine chapter inspired by aztec/mayan cultur could be intersting, both to build and paint but also diffrent from other chapters. But do anyone know if such a chapter allready exists and what name it/them has?  I guess someone must have had a similiar idea as me :)

It certainly sounds cool, and AoS Seraphon could donate a lot of weapons etc.

I've certainly considered it before.

The thing is to take your theme and then tweak it just a little so that it's not totally derivative.

For example the Space Wolves are obviously inspired by vikings and norse, but have the "secret-police/executioners" sub plot and they look out for the basic citizenry.

Black Templars used to have it in being Crusaders who didn't believe that god was really a god, now they just don't believe in magic.

Thousand Sons are Egyptian Mummies and Priests, but it was to prevent a worse fate.

Blood Angels are the full TV trope "good guy vampires" who sometimes go a bit crazy and have to be locked up.

I'm sure you can find other examples each time you look deeper at a Chapter and that's what makes them really interesting.

Rik

Well, if we go by 'canon' Chapters, the Rainbow Warriors, of whom nothing is known about, have been deemed by fans to be Mesoamerican due to there being a Mesoamerican/Native American myth about a being called 'the Rainbow Warrior'.

The results can be pretty good:
Rainbow_Warriors_A.jpg

1c76f419cd071fb1cc66b400cdf742ca.jpg

A_is_for_Aztecs_in_Atomic_Armour_Attacki

And by Greyall:
6th_edition___aztec_style_by_greyall_d57

So yeah. Rainbow Warriors

It certainly sounds cool, and AoS Seraphon could donate a lot of weapons etc.

Seraphon are a PERFECT bits source for Mesoamerican-themed bits.

Also, I could totally see the Carnosaur model being used for a Chapter Master's ride.....

I remember someone making mesoamerican space marines about 2-3 years ago, either here or on dakka dakka...

Let's see ...

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/576398.page

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/558165.page

Also found something on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/8n02j8/first_attempt_at_aztec_marines_what_do_you_kind/

Hmm, neither of thoose is what I remember, but I hope they help either way.

Thanks for all the ideas! They are great. I must say both the Rainbow warriors and the Blood jaguars looks intersting. I was thinking bits from the aos, like lizardmen. But perhaps some animals from stormcast. What do you think about using space wolves rules? Or ordinary marines?

I was thinking bits from the aos, like lizardmen. But perhaps some animals from stormcast. What do you think about using space wolves rules? Or ordinary marines?

Having Jaguar Warriors as "counts as Space Wolves" with jaguars as "counts as Fenrisian wolves," or Eagle Warriors as "counts as Blood Angels," would be thematically appropriate. Feel free to playtest some games and determine which rules you feel are most competitive.

Don't forget to have the Chapter host flower wars to encourage a martial tradition among the population of the planet they control, and to properly evaluate potential recruits.

White Scars would be appropriate as well I'd say.

The Aztecs lacked cavalry, which the White Scars embody. If the White Scars Chapter tactics are to be used, the Chapter culture might as well be a hybrid of the Aztecs and the Spanish conquistadors, fighting to spread faith in the Emperor to all reaches of the galaxy.

White Scars would be appropriate as well I'd say.

The Aztecs lacked cavalry, which the White Scars embody. If the White Scars Chapter tactics are to be used, the Chapter culture might as well be a hybrid of the Aztecs and the Spanish conquistadors, fighting to spread faith in the Emperor to all reaches of the galaxy.

The White Scars fluff does, but their rules barely do. Not more than Space Wolves having actual monstrous cavalry. In fact Jump Packs work much better with White Scars rules than Bikes. Also successor chapters don't have to follow the same principles as their parent chapter. They are 100% independent and only share the geneseed.

To answer the OP's question:

But do anyone know if such a chapter allready exists and what name it/them has?

No, there is no official Chapter that officially has an Aztec-/Mayan-inspired theme. As you can see from the discussion, there are DIY efforts, both of official and purely homegrown Chapters, that draw upon that theme; but there is nothing official.

I encourage you to pursue the idea, with the Liber Astartes forum providing a great place to discuss your ideas, get feedback, and develop the idea more completely.

I suggest Raven Guard geneseed and have a load of eagle warriors, Age of Empires Two style.

Eagle Warriors obviously match Vanguard Veterans and Primaris Inceptors, as eagles bring death from the skies.

What about Jaguar Warriors? Have Terminators and Primaris Aggressors match them, to show they are Death to all within hand's reach, like the jaguar itself? Or Sternguard Veterans and Primaris Hellblasters?

Archived