How do the suppressors “fly”

I think the lore about the vents on the space marine backpack being used as thrusters in void scenarios is actually quite old, but it was mostly overlooked in most of the newer additions. After all, and despite being marines, void battles are not often depicted, at least at the infantry level, so it is a detail that is often forgotten about. At any rate, it is not mutually exclusive with them being vents, it just happens than when needed, the marine can regulate the direction and speed of air release to help him move in void environments.

so heres me test build atm

wip on my suppressors conversion, ammo feed coming in next week. gonna sculpt some plating on the ammo/thruster area. got to wait for it to harden

ea3d8BT.jpg?1

naOXXyf.jpg?1

kfhYYrc.jpg?1

honestly, raising up the gun, and adding the thruster and ammo pack, went a long way in helping to balance this figure more imho

like the reposing but I feel a liittle sceptical about the back for now

you know, im gonna do one that just is reposed, legs and arms like this one and see if that fixes it.

if that saves me time and money, and looks great why not?

I might be in the minority, but I'm a big fan of the suppressor models as they are. I had a lot of fun building them. Can't wait to use them in a game. The moving and shooting is less of an issue when I play Space Wolves and have access to keen senses!

I think the big thing at the moment is that he's got a rocket coming out of his butt. If the jet was repositioned closer to the top of the pack I think that would help with visual balance, even if throws off the plans with magazine placement. Legs and arms are good though, makes him look less like he's flailing.

I think they look quite capable of the "flight" described in their fluff snippet - the Grav-Chute lets them descend onto the battlefield as shown in artwork, whilst the leg thrusters and additional backpack vents give them enough "oomph" to move in great bounds - in my mind not as high as true Jump Packs but enough to travel distance or clear obstacles. The small leg grav-vanes are used to slow the descent from a bounding leap rather than a high-altitude drop. The foot-plates, as well as stabilising their firing position from recoil, could also act as a form of inertia capacitors to allow them to store the energy from landing and use it to "push off" with as well.

Personally I will definitely be modelling them braced on terrain. Looking at Triszin's conversion above I would borrow the leg poses and have him leaping off the rubble I would base the others with.

I will also think about swapping the helmets. Much prefer the regular Mk.X look.

I might be in the minority, but I'm a big fan of the suppressor models as they are. I had a lot of fun building them. Can't wait to use them in a game. The moving and shooting is less of an issue when I play Space Wolves and have access to keen senses!

Honestly, I probably won't change mine either if I just wrap my heads around them if I just wrap my head around the current propulsion means as sufficient.

I actually like the look of the suppressors, I don't really seem them flying so much as making bounding leaps to get into a firing position.  The only things I don't like about them are the new flying stands, so I'll just model mine with some rubble as a "stand" or in a braced firing position. I guess I'm also not really big on the motorcycle clutch style trigger either... but it is something I can live with.

Did the weapon alteration and pose customizations.fixed the model IMHO. No need to replace the backpack or add another ammo box

I never had an issue with the pose and actually think I prefer it the original way over yours. It fit better to a heavy weapon and yours is more fitting for a rifle which it is not.

It makes sense to me that the combination of the leg thrusters and grav chutes would let them make some awfully big leaps. Which is what they are actually doing.

It also eliminates the need for a bulky jump pack and it's fuel source. Seems prudent to limit the amount of extra weight a guy already carrying a cannon has to log around with him, ya know?

Wouldn't the jump pack just use the fusion power that a standard suit power pack does - that would likely provide enough power to generate thrust, wouldn't it? And considering he's in powered armor, exactly how much is a Marine really encumbered by the autocannon?

There's a lot of inconsistency about power armor, its power source, and its capabilities anyway, in comparison with how logic would make one think it should work.

Wouldn't the jump pack just use the fusion power that a standard suit power pack does - that would likely provide enough power to generate thrust, wouldn't it? And considering he's in powered armor, exactly how much is a Marine really encumbered by the autocannon?

There's a lot of inconsistency about power armor, its power source, and its capabilities anyway, in comparison with how logic would make one think it should work.

I would think a jump pack would still have some kind of weight limit. It has to lift itself, approximately 1,000 pounds of Marine and armor, and whatever weapons the Marine is wielding.

It would explain why you don't see them carrying lascannons and missile launchers with jump packs when it would otherwise be exactly what you'd want to give them. A guy with a lascannon who can get to the highest point of the battlefield on his own? Kind of a no brainer.

And I've read a couple different novels in which jump packs can and do run out of power if used too much.

I would think a jump pack would still have some kind of weight limit. It has to lift itself, approximately 1,000 pounds of Marine and armor, and whatever weapons the Marine is wielding.

It would explain why you don't see them carrying lascannons and missile launchers with jump packs when it would otherwise be exactly what you'd want to give them. A guy with a lascannon who can get to the highest point of the battlefield on his own? Kind of a no brainer.

And I've read a couple different novels in which jump packs can and do run out of power if used too much.

Like I said, lots of inconsistencies...

in my mind, im just using this reason.

Suppressors Flight engines allow them to fly and move, just not blitz fast.

Assault marines with jump kits, are designed to not only fly but by highly maneuverable and blitz FAST.

Archived