Oath to Completion, not one model more

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

This is my pledge. A large and most assuredly large endeavour on my part. As I stated, no time limit on myself but I will attempt at the very least 1 task per week, not matter how small, how big and I will attempt to log each one each week, including failures to update or do something.

At a quick call of what is needing done at the most surface level:

All my necrons will need updating, a small army by all accounts due to being collected at their 3rd edition form (when all you did was warrior spam).

Knights need finished, 1 Valiant still to be built and painted with 1 crusader to be finished painting (trim was started on after undercoating, intended to be hawkshroud colours due to imperial icons on it. being treated as a freeblade in my knights).

Tau have a stormsurge to be painted, ghostkeel to be painted and a battleforce to be built and painted

Orks are actually largely ok, I believe only a couple of models there need attention (funny...the least organised army in 40k and they are the "best dressed" army I have!)

Space Marines is where the kings ransom and emperors peace will be required.

My last purchase before I took this oath was shadowspear which kind of was the camel that broke the cruisers back.

There are 3 tanks needing serious paint fixing, the land raider phobos (my oldest model) need attention both in paint and model to help fix some old problems caused when i built it as a 10 year old. 4 dreadnoughts need paint stripped, no fixing that job. one predator chassis needs paint stripped. Various sponson weapons need seen to for paint and magnetising. Thankfully due to my attempts in the past to paint over certain colours with only black, a good large chunk of models just need the new colours of my chapter applied, not stripped and painted afresh. A good few of the shadowspear still needs assembled (only infiltrators) and undercoated and the painting of these marines will be in the number of something like must what looks like 100+ marines, with a mix of not just boltgun jobbers but also heavy weapons, centurions and ofcourse primaris units.

I am making this oath as a reminder, my own check and validation of progress. Something to remind me, something to tell me that if I am not getting on with it I am failing something. As I cannot hold myself to account without something. There is no deadline for the whole project, the only deadlines set are that I get something done each week, no matter how small. Even if it is just painting the trim on one marine, no matter how small I note the progress and keep progressing. Each trim done, is one less trim to be done.

If anyone also wishes to add any advice regarding the stripping of models by the means of dettol anti-septic then that would go a long way, hopefully I can find a more effective way of stripping a lot of models at once instead of a rather pain staking process but if it must be painstaking then so it shall be.

Week 0, Date; Topic start: 2 dreadnoughts stripped, one currently in pieces due to discovery of poor construction (ten year old me wasn't a good model builder apparently!).

Week 1, Date; 7/4/19: further progress on dreadnoughts being stripped. One has been cleaned with soapy water then rinsed with clean water for being undercoated. Other dreadnought required further stripping due to thick areas of paint. 3 marines currently undergoing stripping. 10 man intercessors started process of being painted in army colours. First stage of primary colour applied, going through applying paint to metal areas.

Week 2, Date; 15/4/19: Failure to do anything this week. Work took more time than expected. Update was late too. However next two weeks are holidays, should be able to get serious work done

Week 3, Date 22/4/19: Finished getting the metal first layer for the intercessors done. Was tedious but want my gold and silver to look good! 3 more models stripped. Deconstructed dreadnought due for THIRD dunk...tight areas had thick layers of paints that are harder to get the brush into.

Week 4, Date 28/4/19: Intercessors got their silver trim done, now onto the gold.

Week 5, Date 6/5/19: Another failure...not good but continue to march forward and not forget the oath

Week 6, Date 14/5/19: Failure strikes again but when work has you going for 7 days in a row...and your partner got VR and you thought "eh, lets see what the fuss is about it"

Week 7, Date 22/5/19: Failure is a theme right now. The lack of being able to go and play 40k due to work is stifling...it does my mood foul

Week 8, Date 28/5/19: This should hopefully be the last failure before I get something done. I have a chance to play 40k so that should kindle some drive to get some painting done. 

Week 9, Date 4/6/19: Failure keeps coming but my oath stands. Not another model more til I complete what I have. It will be long. There will be dark times. But time isn't a factor. Only fate.

Week 10, Date 11/6/19: Failure. Plain. However I will stand by my oath. New models may come, but none will be bought...now if I could just stop playing ARK all the time I may get some time to paint...but dinosaurs are fun!

Week 11, Date 17/6/19: My oath will not yield. There will need to be some serious willpower to pull myself from ark...let it be known though I will keep this updated and keep it running. No matter what, I will remind myself of this.

Week 12, Date 24/6/19: Wow...what a streak. We will look back at this as one of the bad times. Then again ark is great fun and work does drain hours. But the oath is unbroken

Week 13, Date 2/7/19: no progress but yet still not another model. This may be some time boys but remember, this is my own reminder. My own Choice.

Week 14, Date 8/7/19: Want to guess? isn't fun doing this...but restraint is important

Week 15, Date 15/7/19: One day I will get that urge to paint proper. But until I get that urge, the urge to buy will be surpressed.

Week 16, Date 22/7/19: Dark times indeed. Then again, having a hard time getting games at my locals recently so that doesn't help ether...but the oath will stand

Week 17, Date 29/7/19: Beginning construction of the valiant I had in a box for nearly a year began.

Week 18, Date 5/8/19: Work Work Work...7 days straight driving buses...ugh...

Week 19, Date 12/8/19: More just not feeling it...certainly feeling those vile thoughts of dropping this but that is just weak will! I stand by it (even if that executioner kit looks so emperor blessed awesome)

Week 20, Date 19/8/19: Well, new codex dropped. Maybe with the new updates to marines and hopefully marines actually having a chance of being good might make me feel inclined to paint...wishful thinking but who knows (hard to paint models that don't get results!)

Week 21, Date 26/8/19: Hi...so...you thought there would be progress? but it was me, failure! Oath stands...ain't easy though.

Week 22, Date 2/9/19: Oath Holds...you know whats up

Week 23, Date 9/9/19: -sigh- depressing isn't it but I suppose my resolve at least holds...

Week 24, Date 16/9/19: I feel chaos whispers of changing the oath...I will not falter foul daemons...unlike my painting hand!

Week 25, Date 23/9/19: plans for getting my paint  station set-up in a way so I can just get on with painting when I get the urge, hopefully next week will yield results.

Week 26, Date 30/9/19: To maintain the oath is hard. Plans are drawn but nothing yet. I hold my oath. (if I were holding my breath I think I would of failed a few saves)

Week 27, Date 7/10/19: Sorry Noigrim, I hold fast though I do not gain ground I will not yield. I must thank you for giving me a quote to remember when my will wanes.

Week 28, Date 15/10/19: One day. One day I will get there. Til then I update, I remind myself.

Week 29, Date 21/10/19: Trying to lay out plans for what to paint, maybe focusing on units I am actively using.

Week 30, Date 28/10/19: more failure however there are plans laid out, maybe next update there may be some progress!

Week 31, Date 3/11/19: A triumph at last. I actually made a big effort to get my Imperial Knight Valiant done, post will exist to prove it however I want to amend something in this oath thing, I am realising something that this oath is doing to me and I will talk about it. It will mean modifying the oath but not stopping it.

Week 32, Date 11/11/19: More progress, the knight crusader I have had sitting around is nearing completion with its Hawkshroud colours. Doing good.

Week 33, Date 18/11/19: Due to yellow being a...less than great colour, the progress was slowed. However the legs are done bar the base and decals, on to the body.

Week 34, Date 23/11/19: The knight has gotten to the stage of being done, just needing decals...where is the transfer sheet

Week 35: Date 2/12/19: Knight is done basically just can't find my decal sheet, working on my Tau now. Got a Fire warrior done to test my scheme and also done the etheral

Week 36: Date 9/12/19: Got the rest of the Fire warriors done, going to be trying to get their support turret finished then move onto the crisis suits.

Week 37: Date 16/12/19: Slow going, christmas preparations and all that. Got the Turret finished. Next is the crisis suits

Week 38: Date 22/12/19: Crisis suits got their metal bits painted. Hopefully I can get round to the simple work of just slathering nuln oil and apoth white on them (Merry Christmas!)

Week 39: Date 29/12/19: Got magnets sorted onto some of my battlesuits. Also Happy New Year.

Week 40: Date 5/01/20: First week of the year, sadly due to rimworld this is the first failure in a long time.

Week 41: Date 13/01/20: Good block of my tau built.

Week 42: Date 20/01/20: Got a couple of my battlesuits coated with Nuln Oil, also all models now built so now just need to paint them. Thankfully my colour scheme for Tau is very simple.

Week 43: Date 27/10/20: A failure this week. Sad but oh well.

Week 44: Date 2/2/20: Some work on the crisis suits were done. Shas'vre was drying from being oiled!

Week 45: Date 9/2/20: Failure. Clean and simple.

Week 46: Date 17/2/20: Another one fails the dust

Week 47: Date 24/2/20: Fail. Painting is always a pain to get the mood for.

Week 48: Date 2/3/20: Failure cometh

Week 49: Date 9/3/20: Failure continues sadly...

Week 50: Date 16/3/20: Another failure though this whole situation is kinda crazy...funnily no wargame club will likely make failure almost automatic for weeks to come. Not sure. We shall see. also, week 50. Not long til the anniversary of starting the oath.

Week 51: Date 23/3/20: Failure carries forward.

Week 52: Date 30/3/20: Failure yet again, I have however gone into Furlough (employed but paid at reduced rate) so never know, might get bored enough to get stuff done. Edit: Didn't notice but this is the anniversary of the Oath. While it hasn't been explosive, nor as methodical as I would of liked it stands. It has been modified and altered slightly from the start due to the fact it was causing massive hobby depression not being able to add new units. It will be a true test of balancing myself properly. Though with current conditions at the time of this update due to the COVID-19 pandemic, no new models can be acquired anyway!

Week 64: Date 28/6/20: Lets get an update rolling at least a little. So this is what warp travel must be like. No painting has happened, just going to be plain, don't feel the drive when I can't play. Skipped the week counter ahead accordingly so you can point and laugh. This oath will remained pinned to me. 

Week 68: Date 20/7/20: well while there was little happening but within this last week suddenly got hit with urge again. Sorted some small details on models but more importantly got a squad of intercessors finished. Feels good, also got 2 more squads of intercessors and a suppresor squad now undercoated and 1 layer paint done.

Week 72: Date 10/8/20: Back to work so hopefully updates will also return to weekly. However over the last few weeks there has been activity. The group of 23 models have entered into detail, touch-up and base work to be done. Planning on making the next grouping a set of Firstborns, get 20 of them done + another squad of unique position (Maybe a group of heavy weapons).

Week 73: Date 17/8/20: Finished the group of 23 models there, 20 intercessors and 3 suppressors. Targeting now a batch of firstborns since the announcement.

Week 74: Date 24/8/20: The Firstborn group have got their blue on, took more time and effort since the grouping for this one is 30+ models however that includes special weapons, heavy weapons and bolter marines. Now for the leadbelcher stage.

Edited by chapter master 454

I left mine in a Tupperware container full of the stuff for days and they all came out okay. Metal strips easiest, and also strips under nail varnish remover.

The biggest problem I found, particularly with tanks, was the smell. I washed the Predator two or three times with washing up liquid and left it outside for a few days, eventually the Dettol smell dissipates.

Avoid using water until after they are properly dry.

Simple green works pretty well for stripping paint too, non toxic and fairly cheap. I use washed out plastic take out containers. It takes a couple days to work. If you keep it covered, you can reuse the simple green several times too.

I live in the UK so no access to that hence the Dettol. Thanks for the advices btw guys with the stripping, one of the dreadnoughts has been in the container now what must be over a week now.

I shall be trying to give an update to this week in the form of I hope two stripped dreadnoughts though one will likely be missing the before image but I can give a rough idea of how it looked before hand (I have 6 dreadnoughts, 2 venerables, 2 normal, 1 redemptor and 1 ironclad, the last two there don't need stripped, just painted. The Venerables and Normals need stripped).

The big problem is that I have 2 predator chassises and a land raider to strip...Oh boy...Those will be projects! Oh well, no matter how slow I go, I must make sure i progress.

Oh and Noigrim. Thanks for the perfect first post to this thread. I will keep that. If I succeed consider yourself quoted on that to be proven wrong and if you are right a monument to my failure.

With regards to Dettol stripping, I have so far used 2 jars with lids and coffee filters, so as to recycle most of the Dettol. I initially bought two 1-liter bottles, and I still have plenty. If need be, don't hesitate to repeat the process. Toothpicks can be handy. The smell is quite strong, so a well ventilated room is a must. I tend to schedule working with the stuff when I'm alone at home and also just before garbage is collected so as to quickly get rid of the used Dettol-smelling tissues, toothpicks, …

For the predators and land raider, I would suggest checking ice cream containers (e.g. 2.5L), or assimilated stuff. With the appropriate recipient with lid, I would fill it half with Dettol, let the models in it for a couple days, remove all the paint I can from the half that was in the Dettol, then repeat the operation for the other half.

Best of luck with your endeavour!

Great task! Ive made a similar vow myself! I have loads of space marines, both old and primaris, Astra Militarum and orks.

In honour of this thread and your vow, I hereby vow: no more models to be bought before completion of:

-My 40k Raptors-Army, both regular and primaris

-My Ravenwing-Army

-All my primaris and regular marines currently in process of stripping - waiting to see if rules for a chapter emerges in white dwarf (fingers crossed for Iron Hands) or possibly Dark Angels since i have a sizeable ravenwing force.

I wish you good luck brother! It will be a hard one, because i know exactly what Youre going through.

Simple green works pretty well for stripping paint too, non toxic and fairly cheap. I use washed out plastic take out containers. It takes a couple days to work. If you keep it covered, you can reuse the simple green several times too.

I live in the UK so no access to that hence the Dettol. Thanks for the advices btw guys with the stripping, one of the dreadnoughts has been in the container now what must be over a week now.

I shall be trying to give an update to this week in the form of I hope two stripped dreadnoughts though one will likely be missing the before image but I can give a rough idea of how it looked before hand (I have 6 dreadnoughts, 2 venerables, 2 normal, 1 redemptor and 1 ironclad, the last two there don't need stripped, just painted. The Venerables and Normals need stripped).

The big problem is that I have 2 predator chassises and a land raider to strip...Oh boy...Those will be projects! Oh well, no matter how slow I go, I must make sure i progress.

Oh and Noigrim. Thanks for the perfect first post to this thread. I will keep that. If I succeed consider yourself quoted on that to be proven wrong and if you are right a monument to my failure.

Gotcha. A couple other tips in case it translates to your process.

First, I have had simple green soften plastic if its left too long. I wouldn't let it sit more than a couple days without checking it. I'd be less worried about thick parts like a dreadnought but the thinner walls of a tank might bow.

The stripping agent ought to loosen the paint but won't take it off entirely without some elbow grease. An old toothbrush is a good tool for this, so is a toothpick for getting in the cracks. Be sure to wash off the stripping agent (use soap) to help the primer coat stick.

As far as bigger models, I stripped predators and used a plastic trash can and some cling wrap over top.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Success, a model finally done. The Valiant completed within a week. Here's the Proof:

https://imgur.com/a/3v9Ay9R

However, I want to talk about my oath. During the process of painting my Valiant, I actually felt something quite good. I enjoyed painting it and I love my knights because anytime I play them I just feel so good at how good they look with each one being unique and vibrant. Thinking to my marines, I enjoy their rules...and only a few of their models but not as much as I enjoy knights or even other factions.

On top of this, as anyone can see, my drive for painting is very much a dead thing. Over half a year of no painting (but maintaining this) points to that I don't really feel my marines and the lack of being able to buy new models stifles my ability to do what I like (making new lists and testing them). So what I intend to try and do is enact some form of "push pull" to my oath. To progress what I have but not to hard cap my ability to flex on new list building, especially in other factions that I am planning on expanding into (this oath started right after I got some Tau stuff, I even have a Stormsurge coverted with the stormwave conversion kit, looks AWESOME).

I will add to my collection but at a rate I deem ok. I cannot make myself miserable with the hobby, hanging the sword of Damocles above my head with painting to get more models where I personally really enjoy building and playing but painting some models and units can feel a chore. On top of that, the fact the models I use tend to stay in the case and don't come out may be another factor, another layer of procrastination as the models on hand in my room and lying around aren't being used actively (thus no drive to paint them unlike the Valiant, it has a game coming up where it will fight along side my Castellan and other knights).

While the Oath is damaged, the Oath may be altered I will maintain this thread still, documenting any progress, any failure, and success, any model bought, any model built. I will hold myself accountable by means of an account maintain by myself in honesty. If I am honest with myself, I want to enjoy 40k, thus I need to ensure I maintain that ability. Hold me to it brothers and sisters, this seal may never be fulfilled, but it will never be forgotten nor abandoned.

An endless journey may it seem, it at least means the story has no ending in sight just yet. After all, the journey is the fun of it. 

• 4 months later...

Making a quick post to celebrate the Anniversary of this oath. While one can look at the logs and notice it is more failure than success, there were some moments of explosive progress. Big stand out in that regard was the Knight Valiant that went from unassembled to fully painted within 1 week effectively.

The big changes to pace were my handling of the Oath. As with all things, the Oath can be daunting and ultimately it will be to the community to judge me but the original version was a massive hit to my mood for the hobby. I am naturally someone who LOVES building the models, extreme pleasure in it. Even when I had my go with orks, even 30 boyz wasn't a problem as I enjoy that process greatly, be it Boyz or Knights. Painting however can drag me down badly though the end result I am often beaming about (my Household of Taranis in fact is in pride of place in my home, on display in a cabinet. Makes me smile everytime!)

So yes, the original oath is modified, but it was that or I was getting to the point of possibly quitting 40k due to being depressed with it. It is one thing to make an Oath and not break it, it is another to make an Oath and break yourself over it. "The Objective is to win. The point is to have Fun". I maintain the oath with solemn attendance to remind myself to balance painting and building new models. My tau certainly are easier to paint and I enjoy playing them greatly and the break from marines is good. While this oath may be in place til my final days or this forums last light, it matters not. The journey is what will matter in the end. After all, look at the journey so far. yes...lots of stumbles but yet...each week is catalogued. While not consistent with days (I use the Sunday or Monday interchangeably which is bad!) the tally still stands. 52 Weeks of Oath, 365 days. Yet here I am, one year later still holding this thread. I stand by it, NoiGrims first post is a fitting first post by another frater. Ether a Tombstone eulogy or evidence of how dark the 41st future is, we can all overcome great challenges!

• 3 months later...

you're doing much better than I have ever managed since about 3rd edition... If it helps any, have you been able to strip any models and prep them for an ETL entry, or the 12 months painting challenge? 

• 4 weeks later...

The way you feel about the hobby is almost a 100% match of my approach. Playing and building is soo much more fun than painting. I can build for hours, even start at 21:00, after I put the kids to bed. But in order to paint it has to be early (pref before 16:00) and I need to be really motivated.

BUT your oath is impressive, perhaps I´ll embark on a crusade to cleanse the shelves of unapainted metal and grey plastic toy soldiers!

Oh you who tried to reach the heights

Of painted armies and gathered might

As many before have failed your vow

And feel the shame burning you now

Seriously, I think you'd be better off subcontracting someone to paint the models for you.

Oh you who tried to reach the heights

Of painted armies and gathered might

As many before have failed your vow

And feel the shame burning you now

Seriously, I think you'd be better off subcontracting someone to paint the models for you.

No matte the length of the journey I will continue. I will play with models I have built and painted. Would rather play with unpainted models than models painted by someone else.

• 2 years later...