Started an Eldar exodite army

salixstar

As the title says I have started an Eldar exodite army. I have been thinking about doing this since the mid 90's and I finally have the bank balance to do it (or should that be had the bank balance to do it :biggrin.:)

oh and long long time lurker first time poster. HI^_^

anyway few rules for the army

• avoid shuriken weaponry whenever possible.
  • everyone has a cloak (cos cloaks are cool)
  • wraith constructs are treelords and kurnoth hunters with a wraithlord/guard head attached etc.
  • everything with wings (swooping hawks and autarch) are riding terradons
  • anything on a jetbike is instead on a drakespawn.
  • the famous "dragon riders" of the exodites will be some dragon model from fantasy and count as a crimson hunter/hemlock wraithfighter
  • and all tanks will be some form of dinosaur from the seraphon (still working this bit out)
so yeah that's about all the rules. as it is probably obvious from above I am using pure craftworlds codex for this army so it is just aesthetic change and I think no one should have a problem with it as all model swaps I have chosen are bigger than the actual unit so if anything I am modelling for disadvantage 

anyway so far the built or currently building portion of my army is

HQ

• an "Avatar" using Drycha Hamadreth with the sword from the treelord kit. (fluff its an out of control wraithlord that's gone a bit bloodthirsty is normally chained up but is let loose in times of great need oh it also has chains wrapped around its arms and legs)
  • Wraithseer. treelord ancient
TROOPS
  • 15 rangers
  • 30 storm guardians.  eternal guard with storm guardian arms etc.
ELITES
  • Bonesinger. used spellweaver from AoS
  • 5 wraithblades. kurnoth hunters as discussed above
I have coming from artelw there "not" farseer 10 "not" scorpions and 10 "not" banshees.

so yeah that's my project so far to about a thousand points. next is working on all the jetbike stuff oh and getting this lot painted. the thing I always struggle to do

any hints suggestions are welcome. I should point out I have never played eldar and although this army is more concentrated on the narrative side of things it would be nice to win the odd game. so any list building hints and tips are welcome

will post pics of what i have when i remember to take them :whistling:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/170671855@N07/46765705424/in/photolist-2f5qYGa-24x9i1r-24t29YT-Tcrbss-2f6Yz86-SWcBJY-2dYAuEA-2f5uer4-24KiMhr-Rj11qM-24y7QSa-2dYMQT9-2dYBJFu-2e4KbNL-2fkeVCC-24ws4Sx-2f9hKT7-2dQedPi-2dV1a5R-2e9vCaq-2fd5uWU-2fkGDTB-2efwsVW-2dGmXf4-24wBnFv-2f1MjUQ-2eZCZ9Q-2f5tWbT-RoPimc-2dFNVoc-2dFGhPc-24xBV4K-2dGu93H-2dWHjtn-24sZjAc-24tciXK-2dJpXWB

old pic of my "avatar"

Edited by Brother Tyler
Tags edited

It's certainly looking to be a very distinctive WH40K army.

I would see Shining Spears and Shadow Spectres as good thematic choices for an Exodites army, given their propensity for las weapons (which marry up with the Exodites' use of las weapons).

Ive always wanted to do something like this. The nature/tree type constructs with either dinosaurs or bugs or both!

But I just can't justify buying 2 or 3 models to chop up and make one.

But looking good. Wraithguard is my favourite so far.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

Thank guys.

not had much time to do anything with the army (I've put together 10 guardians and that's about it)

however I have been doing a lot of thinking about what to include in the army.

I have basically worked out how to make every unit in the Craftworld list.

so on the "tank" front I have the following

jet bikes from drakespawn

Vypers will be made from the old metal carnosaurs.

heavy weapon platform for guardians will be on the back of a drakespawn

support weapon will be from the drakespawn chariot

fire prism from the new carnosaur

night spinner from a magmadroth

wave serpent from a stegadon

falcon from a bastiladon

and yeah that's about it any other ideas of substitutions would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

bit of an update to this project

i've managed to get built the following since last update

30 storm guardians

2 more wraith guard (total of 3 so far waiting for bits from greenstuffworld but my package got lost in the mail so thats a thing  )

built the farseer from artelw

also from artelw 10 striking scorpions with an exarch and the "not" karandras

again from artelw 10 howling banshees an exarch and the "not" jain zar

i also have a bunch of bits for units to build when i have time. 2 metal carnosaur for vypers, plastic carnosaur and an old fire prism to cobble together

oh and a bunch of drakespawn to turn into windriders/shinning spears/farseer autarch warlock on jetbike just need more bits and time to put it all together.

oh and i'm waiting to see what these contrast paints do might make painting all tree part a bit easier

:)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Finally had a few weeks off work and managed to have another go at this army.

the first 5 wraithblade are all painted up and based as is the wraithseer.
I've built one more wraithblade (axe and shield) and am now just waiting for the other 9 to come from waylandgames.

I am hopping that in the next month I will have a bit of a push and make it towards the first 2000point list.

Anyway the bit people actually care about pics of my progress. (sorry for bad quality these where taking late at night and it was a bit dark.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/170671855@N07/49607583143/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/170671855@N07/49608082816/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/170671855@N07/49608092221/ close up of wraith seer leg

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get a total of 4 axe and shield wraithblades done so 1 to do

https://www.flickr.com/photos/170671855@N07/49684318338/in/dateposted/

Also managed to build my other wave serpent so in total I only need to build 6 more wraithblades/guard to finish my first 2000 points.

Hopefully should find time to get that done in the next few days because after that I may become distracted by orks (waghhh Ghazghkull)

When I have the 2000 point list built I will blue tac it all to base's and put it on the board and take a few pics so you can see what I've got.

Then all I need to do is find time to paint it all

Edited by salixstar

Right as promised 2000 point army blue tac'd to base's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/170671855@N07/49697055482/in/dateposted/

Back row from left to right

2 fire prisms

2 wave serpents

Front row left to right

Wraithseer

Bonesinger

15 wraithguard/blade 5 swords 5 axe 5 cannon

10 striking scorpions (from artelw)

Autarch with pet cat (from eBay, fan sculpt)

Farssee

24 storm guardians.

And now I paint

• 3 weeks later...
These are great! I've always been fascinated by the exodites (2nd ed. Codex) and like your interpretation - altho wasn't clear on why avoid shuriken weaps? I tried my hand at some dragon knights a while back, you've inspired me to dig them up! The fire dragon Helms make so much sense I don't know why I used Dire Avengers lol - also look forward to seeing some paint on them! Have you got a colour scheme in mind?

The reason I am trying to avoid shuriken weapons is fluff based. I'm not against using them as fluff does say they have them but that laser weaponry is more common on the exodite worlds.

In the 2100 ish points of stuff I have currently built there's actually a lot of shuriken stuff so my attempts and avoiding them have hit up against me making sure the units are WYSIWYG :rolleyes:

Not made much progress on the army of late. (not been in the right head space to paint. joys of lockdown I think) hopefully the world stops being so god dam awful in the near future and the spiders in my brain will let me sit down and paint for longer than 30 seconds :)

oh i did start putting together a vyper out of an old metal carnosaur a vyper and a Venom. but not got very far with it.

to be honest i really want to make my squad of swooping hawks but I require 4 boxes of terradons and more hellions, scourges and some helmeted heads from somewhere.....jesus that unit is going to be expensive :teehee:  

Well done!

I love all Eldar exodite things! Its always so fun to see what people have done.

I regret not starting an exodite army. Couple years back I gave myself the choice of corsairs or exodites.

Went with corsairs because they actually had distinct playable rules at the time... Not a very wise investment in the long run as you can imagine....

Storm guardians look great! Loving the use of hoods too.

Those predator-like scorpions are cool, they randomly pop on my eBay from time to time.

Would love to see your take on the Hawks, sounds pricey but your investments so far have paid off!

• 2 years later...