Book 9: Your thoughts

You have chased me for two years, across a hundred battlefields, and why do we meet now? Because I allow it.’ The Lion conceded to that with a slight nod. ‘You hide, like vermin fleeing the coming of dawn.’

Guess that's why I didn't see it as a traditional warfare campaign.

Here's another quote from the Lion.

"For every victory we claim, Curze gifts us with a loss in return. It is not a hunt, Alajos. If a primarch does not fall, this will be war without end. And neither he nor I will fall without death bestowed by a brother’s hand.’"

He clearly has his view on what type of war it is. Corswain does too, and they're similar.

Having now read the majority of Book 8, I can't say I'm as excited for the Thramas Crusade as I was before. The writing style has undergone a noticeable shift with the passing of Mr. Bligh. Book 8 felt less like a historical account and more of an editorial essay based around gathered information. I don't think the Thramas Crusade, with it's mystery and confusion, will benefit from this style.

My fears too.

The Night Lords wouldn’t be able to function if all they as a fighting force is turn off the lights and run. It will be good for them to be shown operating as an actual Legion, the way it was good for the Alphas to be shown as a heavily mechanized maneuver force at Paramar. The legions aren’t siloed into their Rites of War, even though that’s the best and most fun way for us to play the game on the table. The Heresy was fought by armies no one would ever take on the table.

An Iron Warriors Line company is a hundred tactical marines. All the cool stuff comes from outside the company. None of us are gonna drop 1500 bucks on an army of just a hundred tactical marines, some dreads, and a Centurion. You’d never win a game. As an example, Nerik Dreygur is a Praevian. He commands an entire Grand Battalion. He can’t even take a RoW (iirc).

Exactly. More focus on how their operate as a Legion less on "muh midnight clad terror".

Edited by rendingon1+

I think John French has made that error before as has Chris Wright in Brotherhood of the Moon short, I think? Its not a big deal but when you think 'hang on' and re-read it then it kinda breaks the reading for me. This coming from the guy who has read the first 3 books this week so far.

There was a phased change of the colours though, it wasn’t instant - in book 7 there’s a Son of Horus in Luna Wolves colours except for one shoulder pad which is green with the eye on it.

It will probably be just more of Night Lords being generic bad spank-bois, who somehow manage to tie and bog down the Dark Angles to an indecisive draw for 2 years while still somehow losing every battle. I don't have high trust in portrayal of Night Lords especially next to the Dark Angels.

Everything about Angelus sounds interessting. Dark Angel wings, Terran tech and bots + Dark Mech sounds promissing.

I just got Malevolence a few days ago and I was shocked that there was so few Legion specific artwork. I had to double check but every single book has pages upon pages of lavish paltes of Legionaries, Vehicles, Knights, Titans, colour schemes etc. with little lore tidbids about the Legionary his weapons his armour a little blurb about Legion Specific Armour Patterns like the UM Praetorians armour and the 1k Sons Nemes Patter. I think book 2 alone has like 6 pages of Iron Hands Marines. After seeing like 2 plates of Blood Angel Heresy era Marines and 2 White Scars (one of which was actually a Alpha Legion dude in drag) I was like "Wait thats it?" My guess was that this is because they weirdly put the whole Custodes List in it again for the revamp (Imho they should've just put that out per PDF and left it out of the book)

I really hope this is not a sign for Angelus and future Heresy books. The Heresy era Angels are surley super interessting with their Armour Heraldry and colour scheme between the wings and I hope there will  be as many plates as in the old books. All those little lore blurbs and different Marine plates made those books feel more like a history book then a rule book for the game.

My other big hope for Angelus is that we get rules and Models for the Atramentar!!!

From the HH Weekender, apparently they feel/felt that Atramentar fall into the same category as Sanguinary Guard, in that they don't bring anything new to the table, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

As for DA, there were some surprisingly convincing supposed leaks about the DA having termies that change rules/loadout depending on the unique wing-rite you take them with. That'd be... Intriguing if true. Especially with them wanting a rite for every wing.

That's new, considering it's at least the first I heard of that opinion and that back post book 6 there was allegedly a statement of the models being in the works

If so that's great. It's just something I read in a write-up on Facebook. So obviously not the best source!

From the HH Weekender, apparently they feel/felt that Atramentar fall into the same category as Sanguinary Guard, in that they don't bring anything new to the table, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

As for DA, there were some surprisingly convincing supposed leaks about the DA having termies that change rules/loadout depending on the unique wing-rite you take them with. That'd be... Intriguing if true. Especially with them wanting a rite for every wing.

Really? I never read anything about the Atramentar in any write up. Well IMHO they would bring something new to the NL as they don't have any special Termi unit.

Well are those leaks you speak of from the first page? 

Well are those leaks you speak of from the first page?
Oh yeah, forgot they were already posted here.

Pinch of salt on those naturally, especially as even if they're somewhat accurate, the book apparently gets chopped and changed a lot.

What struck me as somewhat more genuine about them was that the lore the leak provided on the automata was way too accurate and fluffy for casually made-up info. If it's fake, I'm impressed at the Selenar fluff reference if nothing else!

Edited by Darkwrath121

FW: Hmmm nyessssss, we are definitely featuring a much-requested terminator armoured unit for the Night Lords in book 9! ... The Atramen-what-now? 

*checks notes*

It's the Spookymentar! Not at all the Atramentar. Original concept, do not use existing models for them or Tony will personally visit your house to break your legs.

I'm genuinely worried that the Night Lords will just be used as the token whipping boy just to show off how great the Dark Angels allegedly are.

I wouldn't be worried about that too much. The Night Lords were essentially completely in control of the conflict in the Thramas Sector until after the Lion made his deal with Tuchulcha (Gav's Maguffin) and First didn't have to chase them any more.

They've been able, in all of the books so far at least, to avoid that kind of hyperbole and stick to a more fictionalised military history approach, in some places with a lot more balance than the novels may suggest there was.

The Dark Angels will be great, and that will require a great foil, operating in a way that frustrates the DA's preferred methods on pursuing conflict. One that holds the First Legion for around a third of the entire Heresy. That's not a whipping boy, that's a contender.

I'm genuinely worried that the Night Lords will just be used as the token whipping boy just to show off how great the Dark Angels allegedly are.

I wouldn't be worried about that too much. The Night Lords were essentially completely in control of the conflict in the Thramas Sector until after the Lion made his deal with Tuchulcha (Gav's Maguffin) and First didn't have to chase them any more.

They've been able, in all of the books so far at least, to avoid that kind of hyperbole and stick to a more fictionalised military history approach, in some places with a lot more balance than the novels may suggest there was.

The Dark Angels will be great, and that will require a great foil, operating in a way that frustrates the DA's preferred methods on pursuing conflict. One that holds the First Legion for around a third of the entire Heresy. That's not a whipping boy, that's a contender.

Yeah, I just read Savage Weapons a few days ago, and it was basically a stalemate. It mentions planets being lost for each gained, and the DA never managed to pin Curze down.