Opinions about a possible way forward for monofaction armies

jaxom

But this realisation leads to a conclusion that allies aren't intrinsically broken or over-powered. Their popularity is merely the result of GW's poor rule balancing from book to book and the problem can be fixed without any restrictions, but simply by the rules team doing a better job on an individual codex level.

@reinhard, yeah but like you pointed out its a LOT of work for the designers... properly as much as writting a new 'dex

@mark0sian, so either put a limitation on the strats saying they cant be used in 2 consecutive battle rounds... then put an exception in for the re-roll. IE only the re-roll can be used more than once in a turn, and if you use any other then you cant use it again the next turn. It would bring back people having to concider should I use this strat now or maybe I'll need it more next turn.

Buts that’s just addressing the symptom rather than the problem. If something is causing a problem we shouldn’t be adding in more stuff to help mitigate its effects, we should be dealing with the cause of the problem. Someone mentioned earlier a system where you only had a certain amount of CP per round, that would be better as it would stop multiple stratagems being played every phase/turn and would also make it a serious choice whether you used the same Strat every turn as it would mean you couldn’t use others.

I don’t want to stop people playing the same Strat over and over if that’s what they want, I just want that to have a consequence like not being able to play other strats in that turn. As it is now, people can spam the strats because the CP which is meant to last 5 turns realistically only has to last 2 or 3 at the most.

But this realisation leads to a conclusion that allies aren't intrinsically broken or over-powered. Their popularity is merely the result of GW's poor rule balancing from book to book and the problem can be fixed without any restrictions, but simply by the rules team doing a better job on an individual codex level.

When did I ever say there were? And them doing better codexes is again what I've. been. saying. all. along. Fix it so the cost of the CP and benefit the CP brings, is equal across all dexs.

Make all CP effects be equal in value, so you don't get a bunch of battery guard, not for their value as units, but to power your other units because you get more CP that way. Or if that is too much of a hassle, the bandaid solution is limit the CP you can use that way. As it is, Soup is strictly superior to non soup.

Problem is you have either have to do a backward compatible solutions that can be put into the FAQ/ CA OR you have complete re-writes of either costs & Strats or both

With the first you are talking of 3 or 4 lines ... and so more appealing for GW

with the 2nd you are talking of some major re-writes & then you get either the obsolescence of every un-sold codex & card pack... not good from a business PoV OR you have to put together a chart in the Errata which adds another number on to all existing strategesm

Archived