Considering HH because I loathe 8th edition

templargdt

Never had a template argument last more than a min tops, not sure?? Roll for it. If someone argues so much over it then they are not the kind of people I want to play against when using my TOY SOLDIERS... If I want to argue Ill go to the pub. 

I agree the time spent on dealing with templates depends on the persons involved. Sure it adds a few minutes regardless of argument, but the screening spam partly due to the lack of templates in 8th slows games down too.

The net result for me and my group is that games take about the same overall time.

In tournaments regardless of system you need to be mindful of the time so roll of, get a TO or random third party whatever.

Templates weren't what was wrong with Editions 3-7, I hope they come back for 9th. I doubt it though.

Shame my group are extremely competitive and even garage games are usually with A- grade lists to 'train' for comps.

No chance of HH here for me.

Games of HH and 8th generally do take the same amount of time if that’s a concern for the OP. Any extra time spent on templates in HH is evened out by rerolling everything or rolling random shot/damage numbers in 8th. If the OP has got time for a game of 8th edition he’s got time for a game of Heresy so there’s no real benefit to either system in that regard.

The only difference in regard to time is in building up the army in the first place, but for Heresy that’s a huge part of the fun :)

Shame my group are extremely competitive and even garage games are usually with A- grade lists to 'train' for comps.

No chance of HH here for me.

I am impressed. :smile.:

HH is by no means a mystical unicorn panacea. It has issues as well. It is best for playing narrative games with good friends.

Gents-

I just can't stand 8th edition, or the "Cram as much into this reroll bubble as you can" edition.  Seriously, it's just dumb and I despise it.  So I'm considering the Horus Heresy because it still uses 7th edition rules, where things like trying to maneuver to get a side shot on weaker armor matter.  You know, tactics.  

Anyone else in this boat?  My concern is that HH appears to be dying with Alan Bligh passing away.

Thanks.

templargdt,

As you've seen from the replies, there are pros and cons to any edition, whether WH40K 8th or WH40K 7th/Age of Darkness. Also, playing in the Age of Darkness is not "dying," but you'll still need to figure out how healthy it is in your area (i.e., just because it's alive and well in some members' areas doesn't necessarily mean that it's alive and well in yours). You've heard arguments for and against, all valid in their anecdotal ways. You've also heard suggestions for things like Kill Team.

Is there any reason to keep this discussion going for you? It's turning into the old rehash of 7th vs 8th, competitive, narrative, and all of the other stuff we see over and over again.

Victory is Vengeance is hyper customizable. Kill team is great but ViV is on its own level

Would you be able to expand on this a bit? I tried some Google Fu but all I got was a bunch of ViV events. What's it all about, and how customizable are we talking here?

I'd like to make one other suggestion.

Any rules edition of the game can be customised to your preference when playing with like minded hobbyists. If your local meta was focused on abusive combos this might continue into the Heresy also.

Sounds like yoi had a bad experience with 8th, but is that the only way to play it? Don't like bubbles? Don't bubble! Tone down the efficiency of lists for yourself and your opponent.

Victory is Vengeance is hyper customizable. Kill team is great but ViV is on its own level

Would you be able to expand on this a bit? I tried some Google Fu but all I got was a bunch of ViV events. What's it all about, and how customizable are we talking here?

Also, I've started this topic in the Age of Darkness forum specifically about the Victory is Vengeance campaign (so that we don't bog this one down, and when this one is closed, we won't lose the discussion about a very good squad level skirmish rules set).

Archived