What to do when you're losing motivation?

Beyond the good advice that others have given, a few things that have helped me are:

• Figure out all your colors ahead of time.  One big roadblock I've noticed for myself is that if I'm not sure what colors I want to use (e.g., which shades of brass to use for trim, or how to paint these plague marine tentacles), I will spend a ton of time agonizing over the choice.  That kills my painting progress.  So pick a test model and get your entire scheme sorted out on it first.  Then write all the steps down.  That leads into...
  • Breaking down the task into smaller steps.  I'll list out the different things I need to do on the models (e.g., basecoat metals, wash them, highlight), so that I can focus on a smaller, concrete task and tick it off as I accomplish it.  And this way if I'm not feeling particularly motivated, I can pick something from a ready-made list that I most want to do.
  • Focus on smaller batches or even a single model.  Having a bunch of infantry in front of you can be intimidating.  Pick 1-5 models to focus on and put the rest away so they're not staring you down.  And, as others have said, batch painting (even small batches) can be tiresome.  So just pick a cultist and just paint him for the day.
  • Don't be afraid to knock out the easy or more fun models first.  Momentum in army painting is a thing.  Seeing progress you've made and models you've finished makes it easier to finish the rest.  It's easier to push through on a squad of infantry when you've already made progress on some tanks, characters, etc.  And often bigger models take less time to finish than infantry squads.
  • The last big thing that has helped me is that I've told myself I won't repaint anything in a project that I've already started until I finish the project.  I will only move forward and paint new stuff. Then, if once I'm done I feel strongly enough about repainting some of it, only then will I do so.  For example, I'm working on some Death Guard.  I started painting the Dark Imperium Plague Marines a while ago, and got them to about 70% completion.  Since then, I've improved as a painter and changed the color recipes and techniques that I'm using, adding zenithal airbrushing and switching from masking fluid chipping to oil streaks for the weathering.  At first I was worried that my old plague marines wouldn't match my new ones and wanted to start them from scratch.  But doing so would have added more models to my painting queue. So I told myself that I would just use the new scheme/techniques on my new miniatures, and once they were done, if I really cared enough to repaint the old ones, then I would.  This helps lessen your painting backlog (which is a big psychological advantage), and keeps you making forward progress instead of constantly repainting the same few miniatures.

Okay, so. I've got a small-but-somewhat-important backlog of minis to paint, including 20 Cultists, a few Tactical Marines and a ton I still need to strip first. I'm just not feeling the motivation lately to paint. Build, sure; building models is my absolute favorite next to the actual gaming. What do you all do when you're starting to lose motivation to do part of the hobby? (Note that painting is less important. People run Grey Legion; it isn't entirely unacceptable.)

I generally have several projects or armies I am working on at a time, so when I get bored with one, I switch to the other. I enjoy painting, but only when it's something I want to paint. Painting something you are just wanting to get done, as opposed to being excited about what you're doing is definitely not the way to go.

I only play with fully painted armies anymore. I found that if I didn't restrict myself, i would never get it done. Most of the people at my local store function the same way. 

ADB is a man of wisdom, I also share this belief for painting. 

The guys and gals in my gaming group swear by doing 30-60 minutes of hobby a night, and I confess that’s the only way it ever works for me, too. Just like with writing, if you wait for pristine blocks of unspoiled time, you end up waiting forever. Work when you can, slow but steady.

I’ve found that having several units in progress at once means you can shift from night to night, and you don’t get bored or stressed. Is the Leviadon’s shell making your soul ache? Switch to doing some Namarti Reavers. Tired of all the Reavers’ tiny arrows? Jump over to the Tidecaster.

Its from the tale of 4 gamers article on warcom. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/25/a-tale-of-four-wordlords-chapter-5-the-pen-ultimate-monthgw-homepage-post-4/

Archived