Cognitive and List Building/Unit Rating

Hantheman

I think most armies have an answer for a given situation in their codex (especially space marines) except stuff like Tau, deldar, and necrons not having access to psykers or Tau not having access to good/synergistic combat units like vanguard veterans...though you can do work with double or triple flamer crisis suits, light something up and then assault it, play patty-cake for their turn, hop out and hit them-or another opprotune unit and finish them off with drones.

A unit of firewarriors rapid firing and assaulting a unit can get lucky. Now I wouldn't pay the point for pistols (I guess the new ones have holsters?)...but I can see the appeal.

This is why I'm bringing Terminators back ;)

Go big or go home baby- Everyone else is just using them wrong.

I figure the issue might be with (same with space marine tacs/equiv) believing the Super Soldier lore and not seeing them as commandos.

A guy I like watching on YouTube says "if you are taking armor saves, something's gone wrong" terminators get you 20-40 Bolters 9" away from the bad guys. Pepper in some assault cannons if your loyalists (oooh wee that chaincannon on chaos terminators would have been delicious).

Grey Knights can do some special foolery, because we have regular grey knight Terminators but also paladin terminators who we can take in squads of 3 (sadly not with the special weapons, such as it is) you can also throw dreadnoughts at the enemy on a passed psychic test.

In my case it's big blob of Blood Angels assault terminators, with a librarian and captain for good measure.

Unleash Rage on 10 thunder hammers anyone? That's 90 potential wounds coming in on anything I make contact with, at S8, AP-3, AND red thirst. Another 15 with a captain. It's brutal. Of course some of them will die, but that's why you take a bunch of them, instead of just a paltry single squad. Go deep and invest those points- 20 wounds of 3++ is tough to shift, and even if you fail the charge, you have now forced your opponent's hand. He can't simply ignore a threat like that.

For all the weaknesses quite rightly people see in the unit, I'm looking at it from a risk/reward perspective. The more you invest the more you'll potentially get out of them- But at the same time the more you risk losing out because you sunk a lot of points in. You could say I like a little risk for a big payoff ;)

I feel like we have a lot of those Gambler Units in the game, and paired with the right builds they are very effective, but those builds are very lopsided which means if they don't play the right way then the whole army falls apart.

Basically, I like them because they lend to a very tailored list which makes it hard for it to just turn into the flavor of the month. Plus they tend to sit outside the usual meta so people don't know how to handle them the same way. Much less how to adjust their target priorities.

There's a mental effect of people knowing they should prioritize smash captains but not having that sort of automatic response when he's on a bike instead, that probably helps.

Pretty much.

I was also playing against Tau and he was the only melee oriented unit in my list. He weathered a metric ton of overwatch thanks to being T6 at the time (Might of Heroes), and once he was stuck in my opponent didn't really have an answer for him.

But you got the gist of it. Any single model with a hammer and jump pack is a priority target. A biker with a chainsword isn't.