Summer Project: You guys help me decide

So, I posted a couple months back about feeling trapped in the hobby, and not sure what to do with my piles of models and my will to do anything with them. I had a lot of personal issues going on as well, including room mate issues, work issues, and much more. You guys all really helped me find my solution, and after having sold everything but Abaddon, some CSM, and Archaeon, I am ready to start a small project for the summer. Starting next week, my wife and I will have our own place for the first time, no crazy roommates at all, and my work situation worked out and because I was such a flexible manager for them, they gave me a nice fat raise for dealing with it all. 

Here is the problem, I love almost every warhammer army, and this is an issue that I have run into over and over with choosing a project. After having sold off all my models, the amount paid for the security deposit on our new place and I have about 300$ left over to invest into this new project. I want your guys help in choosing my next project, and I want to let you know upfront that I will never hold this against anyone if I don't end up liking project, and most likely will enjoy it more since I'm super sentimental. 

So, what do you guys think I should do? I'm completely open to ideas.

You could pick a few factions you are interested in and make a few kill teams. It's a great way to do small creative projects and try out factions you like but don't  want or have a full army for, and with the elites expansion coming out soon there's a ton of options. 

Yeah, this is always a good idea.

Especially since now I think EVERY playable army is now usable in Kill Team, since Custodes are now available in it.

Some good advice here. I would have advised looking into a Start Collecting box set but they often have a vehicle that can't be used in Kill Team. If you know you want to start a 40k project a Start Collecting box is best but if you want to start small with a squad of infantry and some terrain then Kill Team would be better. 

If you go for a Start Collecting box the Tau set has Fire Warriors, Battlesuits and drones which I think are all usable in Kill Team now thanks to the upcoming elites expansion. I'd personally like to recruit you into the Admech part of the forum but their basic infantry models are pretty intricate and time consuming to paint unless you cut a load of corners.

Are there any armies that draw you to them or are you not fussed what you start?

What do  you enjoy about Warhammer?  Are there certain models that you especially enjoy?  Certain paint schemes?

Since you kept some chaos stuff maybe some TS or DG for allies but something different?

Ever thought about Necromunda? With a small initial budget you could get a few gangs and fw conversion packs... That way you wont get burnout painting the same style of minis if you dont like a particular gang etc. 

I would first ask what your overarching motivation is. Collecting? Modelling? Painting? Playing? Any combination? The answer to this is important for the following.

Necromunda is a great choice for a smaller budget, with a lot ov variety in official models - and even more so when you use the full 40K range for doing your own ideas. You can get all relevant rules (two books) and two gang boxes for less than $200 from GW direct. Any gang box for $40 gives you a new "army" so to speak, with new modelling, painting and gameplay options. You can also do so much more beyond the "official" gangs - bounty hunters, chaos cults, genestealer cults, a variety of dramatis personae (aka special characters), and much more.

Biggest downside: you might not have somebody to play with near you (or at all). Necromunda has its fanbase, but it is not nearly as popular as 40K. With two gangs you can easily introduce anybody into playing with you, but maybe that's not your thing. So consider Necromunda a great option for modelling and painting, while being relatively cheap all in all, but a very niche gaming option that really depends on your local playerbase.

If you already have the KT rules, branching out in that area is another great idea. Basically any unit box gives you a playable new "army" for KT, so you can follow your instincts and do what you feel like. I feel like I can not really give you any advice here, as it is so dependent on your personal preferences.

For 40K I would build on the "lessons learned" from KT: build on what you enjoyed in KT, and/or test anything you have an interest for 40K with KT first.

If I may ask: what faction "speaks" most to you?

If I were to narrow it down, it would be Tau, Primaris Marines, Grey Knights, Thousand Sons, Adeptus Custodes. I'm mostly a big fan of elites in these armies, such as terminators and crisis suits. 

Definitely Custodes. Grey Knights are NOT in a good place at all. As in "worst Codex in the entire range" not good :lol:

Plus, Custodes look so much better than the other ones you listed ;)

From your list I would say Tousand Sons and/or Custodes. You kept some chaos so the Tousnad Sons can tie into that. As for Cutodes, their range is new, squads are small so reduced danger of burning out in painting/building and between 40k and 30k there is a lot of interesting things.

Maybe start with a box from each and use the in Kill Team for a while and then decide between them. Kill Team Elite just went up on preorder so you can defiantly start with a box of Scarab Occult and a box of Allarus (or a box of normal Custodes).

Edit: If you are thinking of going for Primaris, have a look at Deathwatch, Primaris only Deathwatch are actually fairly good (at least they have been for me and the only non Primaris is a Watch Master (converted of cause to be on theme)). As you can mix up the squad you can get flexibility not normaly avilable to Primaris.

Also you can play around with conversion if you want to represent many different origin chapters.

Edited by Trokair

If I were to narrow it down, it would be Tau, Primaris Marines, Grey Knights, Thousand Sons, Adeptus Custodes. I'm mostly a big fan of elites in these armies, such as terminators and crisis suits. 

Definitely Custodes. Grey Knights are NOT in a good place at all. As in "worst Codex in the entire range" not good :laugh.:

Plus, Custodes look so much better than the other ones you listed :wink:

Grey Knights are in a bad place in 40k, but in KT they're really good, as psychic is super powerful. Might be worth picking up just for that. 

I'd like to second/third kill team. Every model you build for KT can find a use in 40k, so you automagically get more value out of your investment.

Something to consider: Two or more kill teams with the imperium or chaos tags could be allied together to form a small 40k army.

Something else to consider: At least four of the prefered factions listed wear some sort of power armour, which could get a bit monotone when expanding. Being able to switch between a power armour and non-power armour faction makes modelling & painting more varied.

Great to hear you've got past your dark patch, well done :tu:

I'll chime in and agree with those saying to do a kill team or two in the same over-arching factions (Imperium, Chaos or Aeldari for instance). I'd further say, go with something that is very dissimilar to your last project.

If your last project was "classic" Chaos marines, then imo Thousand Sons would give you a change of playstyle through an emphasis on psychic powers. Plus, as you say, the new contrast paints could allow for some really nice effects :)

Personally I would recommend primaris marines, starting with the dark imperium boxed set. Mostly because they will get a steady drip of releases going forward and I know what it is like to sit between books for years (I think fantasy dwarfs was ten years). Also you can expand with shadowspear and bulk out your chaos collection also.

If you want a smaller project I agree kill team or maybe Blackstone fortress. Our roof caved in 18 months ago and we ended up moving between caravan sites for six months and modelling and painting kill teams kept me sane!

I would have suggested getting some chaos terminators to act as Abbadons bodyguard, and then get Eldrad Ulthran and some warlocks so you could recreate their fight before the Eye of Terror campaign 1.0.

But since you didn't list Eldar among your most interesting factions, I'd suggest getting some Custodes instead of Eldar, maybe have them try to ambush the Despoiler, like the former Thousand Sons Black Legionnaire from ADB's books was ambushed. That way you have two small elite armies you could expand.

So, I got a big lot of AoS stuff in a trade today, but have actually narrowed my 40k project down to Harlequins, Tau, or Primaris Blood Angels. I took into account a lot of what you guys have been sending me about KT, and I want to get my hands on the Space Marine Heroes 2 Terminators to make a kill team out of them, or I might make some fancied up Terminators with Chaos Terminators with the chaos bits removed.

Remember it’s also nice to have a couple of things bobbing along at the same time, just in case your interest wanes etc.

I try and keep my hobby passion bubble floating by:

1) have two units/forces/squads on the paint station at a time

2) put a date in the diary for your next game, even if it’s months away as a deadline can really help!

3) try and squeeze in 10/15 minutes of painting a day. This always helps my head get into a clear space.

I know what I have said is perhaps more general advice but you know what I mean. :)

BCC

So, I got a big lot of AoS stuff in a trade today, but have actually narrowed my 40k project down to Harlequins, Tau, or Primaris Blood Angels. I took into account a lot of what you guys have been sending me about KT, and I want to get my hands on the Space Marine Heroes 2 Terminators to make a kill team out of them, or I might make some fancied up Terminators with Chaos Terminators with the chaos bits removed.

Primaris Blood Angels is my vote. If you play Tau or Harlequins, you have no soul. I lost mine years ago for playing Eldar as my second army when I first got into the hobby, and I started playing Tau over the last year.... :sweat:

All jokes aside, I would still do Primaris Blood Angels. If you do enough eBay shopping you can also find the Heroes Series 2 Termies for under $60. You just have to have a little patience with it. There are a lot of options in KT already for Primaris, without the Elites launch, and when that comes they are adding a considerable amount more. So, your project could double as a Kill Team force as well as a decent sized army. The Dark Imperium sets of Primaris are going for very reasonable prices on eBay as well.

I generally try to hobby 2-3 hours a night when time and family permits. Whether it's building, painting, or just reading over my rule books. If you can get yourself in that mind set, and actually enjoy doing it as much as many of us do, it's a great practice. The main thing is you don't want it to become work. Sometimes I work on projects and I find that I am forcing myself to sit down and work on it. When that happens I will switch gears and work on another model just to keep it fresh. 

Good luck!

I want to do one that I can use the upgrade pads for, I hate decals(aka I'm crappy with them) but maybe I will do a homebrew alone the lines of them?

You could look into 3D printed shoulder pads from shapeways. Pop Goes the Monkey has a ton of options and probably has what you're looking for