Brilliant as usual!

This does look very good. The red and white stripes are very nicely done. They don’t exactly look like camouflage, in my opinion, but it’s a really good looking model.

Thanks guys, I've got decals on now too. Although work has stopped progress for the moment.

I wasnt really aiming for camo with the stripes, more a chivalric heraldry sort of thing. Just to add some interest to the scheme really. Maybe the warlord didn't need it, but looking at my Warhounds, I think they could have done with something like this.

Yeah, sorry on re-reading my post it comes across quite harsh. That wasn't my intention. Your warlord looks great.

Painting camo is weird. If you do it well it hides the detail on your minis, and they eventually disappear. Generally that's the opposite of what we try to achieve.

For Solaria I guess you could try doing serious amounts of camo on any Warhounds that are getting the cameleoline upgrade, but more heraldry and geometric designs on everything else. It would look good and also be wysiwyg...ish.

Yeah, sorry on re-reading my post it comes across quite harsh. That wasn't my intention. Your warlord looks great.

Painting camo is weird. If you do it well it hides the detail on your minis, and they eventually disappear. Generally that's the opposite of what we try to achieve.

For Solaria I guess you could try doing serious amounts of camo on any Warhounds that are getting the cameleoline upgrade, but more heraldry and geometric designs on everything else. It would look good and also be wysiwyg...ish.

Don't worry, I hadn't read it as harsh at all.

Yeah, a well painted good camo is pointless on a mini. A well painted bad, but still plausible, camo is what we need

• 2 weeks later...

Your WIP titans are better than most people's finished titans. Very nice. The Thunderbolt split between the Warhounds is a nice idea and the Warlord's base is fantastic - a very realistic looking ruin.

One thing. You're going to have a hard time persuading people that these aren't Solaria, now you've stuck Solaria transfers all over them. And people think the bow and arrow symbol you've got on one of the Warhounds is the symbol for a Warbringer. It started appearing on transfer sheets around the time the Warbringer came out, and it sits with the symbols for the other titan classes.

Edited by Mandragola

Love your work!!

Can I steal your marbled red please? And if so what's your recipe and method?

:biggrin.:

Heat stains look fine too,, nicely blended and the carbon stains black at the end look appropriate.

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

That Warlord is glorious. Every panel looks great. Sorry you missed the deadline as I expect you'd have had a good chance. FYI I think WHC is doing a machine-based competition this month.

You're right actually about the different bows. Now I look at it, those are quite different to the Warbringer's symbol. I'd been a bit surprised to see (what I thought was) the Warbringer symbol on the Solaria sheet.

I saw a mad cheat for marbling the other day using a really stretched wetwipe. The guy painted the base colour, he then took a wetwipe, stretched it so that it frayed randomly, laid it over the first coat, and then sprayed the second.

I love how that technique comes out if I could airbrush, it’s awesome. Stippling also looks good at AT scale. 

This has made me consider trying black marble on my Psi-Titan. That's annoying, as it would require tons of effort. I had a try of your approach and it didn't work too well, but perhaps that was because I tried it on paper. The wash probably sank in too much so it couldn't be drawn off. In any case though, applying light washes over black isn't easy. I'll have to practice.

I can't see the washes working well over black. I tried to do the Warlord head's white armour plates with a similar wash technique - used Army Painter Soft Tone. Doesn't look anywhere near as good as the red armour.

Although I suppose the white base coat has the opposite problem with the washes to a black coat.

Edit: oh you said light washes over black, misread that.

I was thinking of trying to get a dark green/black marble verdigris sort of feel to my Sinister by doing the marbling at a much brighter colour tone and glazing it all back down to black - well in the deepest shadows anyway. Don't know if that would work though.

Edited by splayedpaintbrush

I'd had a few practice attempts now, painting the pattern by hand. The Each version is a bit more convincing and it's not actually all that difficult to do. I might have to actually do this then.

The method isn't that hard. Smear thinned grey paint around to create sort of nebulas. Then do some rough smudged lines in a slightly lighter grey, then some hard edges in white. Wash and then pick out a few white areas again.

The tricky thing is a realistic pattern. Some tutorials I've seen have talked about smooth lines but actual marble patterns often look quite jagged. At one point I thought about even using crackle paint, but that wouldn't be quite right.

Edited by Mandragola

Crackle paint can make a mess and it can be very 3D, I’ve tried it on canvas at work. My attempt at marble involved washes and it didn’t come out well but I already varnished it because “done” is better than nothing. 

The tricky thing is a realistic pattern. Some tutorials I've seen have talked about smooth lines but actual marble patterns often look quite jagged.

Yes, I know what you mean there. Here's a couple of tricks I've got, they might be helpful.

1, you may have noticed when you wick away the excess wash the tide mark at the edge isn't dry. It's actually quite delicate, but can be gently pushed around with a brush. This let's you alter the 'marble veins' as you create them.

2, After the washes have dried I got back with a small detail brush and add fine jagged lines with ink. But not very many - less is more here. For my red panels I use purple ink as black would be too stark.

Edited by splayedpaintbrush