Where do they put them all?

mertbl

They have *always* been genetically engineered, cybernetically augmented, psycho-indoctrinated, monastic, child soldiers.

*well... Since 3rd edition for sure. Probably since 2nd but that era was JUST before my time.

Not sure on the child soldier front, but the monastic element has been there since Rogue Trader, although not necessarily for all Chapters. Oddly enough the most monastic Chapter in the early days was the Space Wolves. Of course this was also during the time when Leman Russ was an Imperial Commander daft enough not to wear protection on a planet with an acidic atmosphere.

It's been since at least 4th Edition where Marines are recruited at a young age (usually adolescent) due to the implants not taking in older humans. It would vary on the Chapter, but I think the vast majority of Astartes (not including Primaris because now they can be anyone :rolleyes: ) would be younger than 12: here's the https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Creation_of_a_Space_Marine#Selection'>Lexicanum article about Astartes implantation, where it has pictures from Codexes past that actually show the general ages involved. From those, Astartes are recruited about age 10-12.

Child soldiers may be a little misleading, however, as they're not deployed, even as Scouts, until after the Black Carapace has been implanted, which is the final implant and would be at around 16+ years old at least. Still pretty much child soldiers, but they're likely actually deployed at 18+ after training and such. Functionally, though, Astartes are child soldiers, since they're recruited as prepubescent children.

Oddly enough the most monastic Chapter in the early days was the Space Wolves. Of course this was also during the time when Leman Russ was an Imperial Commander daft enough not to wear protection on a planet with an acidic atmosphere.

Sounds like someone else remembers Book of the Astronomican!  That's how long ago I started playing Wolves, and I still have my copy (minus a few pages because GW bindings were SO bad back then.)

• 2 weeks later...

Was that the time period where the Ultramarines chief librarian was a half Eldar former Dark Angel astropath?

It's almost like the Chapters were like military regiments you could be transferred between. Couldn't that happen with the Roman legions too? I heard that the guys who started GW were huge History Nerds.