Bubble Tactica?

Morticon

After much thought (but no playtesting) I'm going to be giving Astorath a concerted bash.  

I've re-read the specifics of his rule (which I have misunderstood the whole of 8th it seems) and figured out how to get the best use from it. 

Mass of Doom is triggered at the START of the MOVEMENT phase -something i had COMPLETELY overlooked and/or forgotten.

So....

With a DC and a VanVet (or even Smash Cap) right next to Astorath you can get the most from his Mass of Doom in the following way:

1:  Forlorn Fury DC - this works best on DC rather than the Smashy on account of having more bodies to play with. 

With the 32mm bases, and a 6" required distance from Astorath, you only need to conga three marines (four/Five with advance) from front to back to be within range of him. 

This means that you've covered 12-18" already, and are still in range of Astorath at the start of the movement.

2:  Van Vet/Smashy  Wings of Fire.  - Since this strat also cues at the start of the movement phase, we get to choose what happens.  

Soooo....

We trigger Mass of Doom - and BAMN! We have two fighty units hitting on 2s.  

Vanguard then redeploy, ready for Descent of Angels charge and DC then make their ACTUAL move.  

3:  With an advance move (and even without on a long board edge game) You can still manage to get Astorath well into bubble support range of the DC after their actual movement. 

4: Profit.

Can DoA be used after UWoF? Or does the unit need to be coming out of deepstrike for descent?