Question about Knight Banners and Scale

Hi all,

I’ve played a few games now, and one thing that always struck me about the Engage and Destroy mission is the disparity between earning VP’s for destroyed/damaged Titans, and that for Knight Banners. Essentially, as written (unless I’ve missed something, hence why I ask), you could kill all three Questoris in a three-strong banner and get 3 VP’s, but if you killed five Knights from a six-strong banner, you get nothing, then if you kill the sixth, you still only get 3 VP’s. I thought this was odd, but presumed it was a balancing mechanic for the loss of flexibility in activations of having larger banners.

However, I’ve just read the Battlefields of Molech appendix on pages 74-75 of The Doom Of Molech, and under the Wild Animals rule, it says to count a banner as Scale 3 *regardless of the number of Knights they contain*. Does this mean additional Knights beyond the minimum composition add to the scale of the unit for other purposes? Presumably not for being shot at by Carapace Weapons, but for VP’s, that would make sense. However, I can’t find any mention of that in the Knight rules in either the main Rulebook, or in the Molech book, nor is it in the Matched Play or Engage and Destroy sections of either book, and nothing is mentioned in the FAQ. Why would the Wild Animals rule make that distinction unless it’s an exception to an existing rule?

What have I missed?!

You haven't missed, the DoM editors have. Knight Banners' model count has nothing to do with their units' Scale and those mentions are utterly bizarre.

On the first bit, you have. Knight Banners count as structurally compromised akin to titans if they have lost half their models.

Edited by Sherrypie

You haven't missed, the DoM editors have. Knight Banners' model count has nothing to do with their units' Scale and those mentions are utterly bizarre.

On the first bit, you have. Knight Banners count as structurally compromised akin to titans if they have lost half their models.

Well, that’s something! Thanks!

Maybe in a future expansion there will be rules for knights standing on each others’ shoulders for a melee version of coordinated strike where the combined height gives them a higher scale.

Rest assured if this is ever the case I will model this!

Edited by Fajita Fan