Flashheart's Scurriers - Master Ciaphas' Van Saar gang

Master Ciaphas

Hail!

Another game done - this time a Border Dispute between House Van Saar and House Delaque. It ended with a House Van Saar victory, as House Delaque chose to bottle out. 

EJ7wyW0.jpg

OLyIkz9.jpg

HnvwuUz.jpg

Lrmp468.jpg

dpvimTJ.jpg

Vv3YAv1.jpg

It was a bit tight, when my line got flanked by the House Delaque champion carrying a web pistol, who managed to put down my leader in one fell shot. Happily (for me), he was more timid in the second round, where he only made a 5" move, and was ½ an inch away from touching my plasma gun champion. Had he made another sprint and shot, he could have put down both the plasma gun champ and a ganger with lasgun. Instead, he was short, did nothing, and was shot and OOA by my las carbine champion. 

Imk8pqo.jpg

In the end, I won, gained another 3 Reputation, 50 credits (20 for the win + 30 for the fixer skill) and a bucketload of XP for my fighters. My leader, Alucard, now has 11 XP that I am a bit in a loss as what to do with. I am thinking of buying the +1 Toughness advance for him...because T4 makes sense in a world of S3 weaponry...).

I am now trying to get a game on with either the Venators, Goliaths or the Cawdor, who are the three remaining players in our little campaign.

Kindly,
Master Ciaphas

Alright - so I rolled up the first advance on my ganger with 7XP...and got the rather underwhelming +1 Willpower or +1 Intelligence, for an increase of +5Creds for the ganger. Think I am going for the Intelligence, as opening doors, crates and so on can be an issue...

• 2 months later...

Hail

So the Necromunda campaign died as the Arbitrator went radio silent and has done jack with the campaign since September. Shame.

In other news, I managed to get a copy of the new Van Saar tactics and dice from the GW shop, and have ordered the new prospects and champion as well. I also made a gambled and ordered the Book of Ruin sourcebook, that I think sounds cool - and I would like to run an Uprising campaign next year, when hopefully the pandemic has gone away. 

I read the review of House of Artifice on Goonhammer, and despite their very lukewarm review of the book (when compared to say Goliath, Escher or Orlock), there still seems to be some neat new stuff for the brainy bunch of the Underhive. In the end, I am actually far more interested in the fluff, than the actual power level of the models (even if I dislike too great disparity). 

Kindly,

Master Ciaphas

• 1 year later...

Cheers for the reply! And thank you - I did enjoy painting them, even if I got stuck on them halfway through, and having them languish in half-done Purgatory for over a year.

I have not played Necromunda since 28 September 2020. So...that is quite disappointing. My regular gaming group kinda imploded with work, married life and kids. But, I have hope that 2023 will see me playing Necromunda again, as I 1) have found new people (and old people) to slum it out in the Underhive with and 2) will be doing the Arbitrator job myself (if you want something done, do it yourself). 

My next Necromunda projects will be four Hive Scum, a few Van Saar gangers and then a Promethium Refinery I have had lying around half done since 2018?

Cheers!

Hail master C !! 

Nice to see you play the old fav game of Necromunda. I tried to get into it when it first came out but my friends were wary so i ended up starting to put my Van saar together...must've been having a bad week perhaps but they were frustratingly annoying to put together so i ended up throwing them in a draw never to see the light of the underhive (technically it's not well lit :tongue:

I like the look of your team & I'm glad you have some people to play with (I'm going in for Killteam nowadays...easier transition from 40K and i'm loving the Gallowdark terrain and space Hulk vibes :cool:)

Do you have any close up pics of your team ??.. they look quite good !!

Cheers, M. (Mithril) 

Cheers, Mithril!

The Van Saar gangers are a pain to put together - but with steady hands, patience and a bit of swearing, the job usually gets done in the end :-D

I will get a pic of my eight assembled and painted Van Saar gangers done during the weekend!

In the meanwhile, this is what I am painting at the moment:

cyZjXBK.jpg

A bunch of Hive Scummers and a handful of hangers-on, in the form of an Ammo-Jack, Dome-Runner and Ragnir Gunnstein the squat Ammo-Jack dramatis personae! Painting these, I really start to feel the need to get more "civilian" models for Necromunda. They are awesome! 

That said - the next project, when these are done, is to assemble 10 Palanite Enforcers as well as Scrutinator-Primus Servalen and KB-88, her hard-case cyber-mastiff :-D Gorgeous models, all!

Faithfully,
Master Ciaphas

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

So - while I have hit a temporary impasse on the four Hive Scum (which is silly, because I just "need" to put in about an hours worth of detail painting, and they are done), I have gone ahead and assembled a box I bought half a year ago: The Palanite Enforcers!

QEe1GHw.jpg

After having assembled Van Saars, these were blissfully easy to put together...

I might get a game in with (or against them) on the 4th December 2022 - so here is to hoping! Also, I might go ahead and buy a box of Subjugators on Black Friday - after all, 20% savings is also worthwhile.

Cheers!

Hail!

So - I got these on Black Friday - and am now happily chipping away at them. 

swdrKJ7.jpg

Started out with a black spray base followed by Army Painter's Gun Metal spray. Next I will do doing a wee bit of detailing on the pipes and some hazard stripes. When that is done, I will try out some Winton & Newton oil paints for the first time ever. 

Cheers!

Hail!

A bit of progress on the tiles:

0NWCIjr.jpg

So far I am happy, not least because they are at the basic level where they can be used for games. Naturally, I can (and will) throw a goodly number of more hours at them, to do hazard stripes, grime and "stuff" to them.

Cheers!

Hail!

I had the pleasure of playing two introductionary games yesterday, with a friend who is considering buying into the game.

We played a slightly modified Tunnel Skirmish, where we instead used a lot of Sector Mechanicus terrain, as I do not (yet) have much Zone Mortalis terrain besides the Gang Stronghold, that I am in the process of putting together.

Using the two gangs I have – Van Saar and Enforcers – my friend was allowed to pick six Enforcers, while I drew six random Van Saar gangers. I have never used Tactic Cards before, so to make it as easy as possible, we each drew one random Universal Tactic Card. We both forgot to use them, though :-) 

The gangs were something like this:

Enforcers:

Captain (Fast Shot) with Shock Stave and Concussion Carbine

Sergeant (Trick Shot) with Enforcer Sniper Rifle 

Sergeant (Got Your Six) with Enforcer Boltgun

Patrolman x 2 with Boltgun

Patrolman with Concussion Carbine

Van Saar:

Leader (Hip Shooting) with laspistol, plasma pistol, mesh armour, Energy Shield

Champion (Fast Shot) with Plasma Gun and mesh armour

Ganger x 3 with Lasgun and mesh armour

Juve with 2x las pistols

Game One

The Enforcers had been called to the old Manufactorum Yard, where the Van Saar were conducting nefarious business. Not being willing to submit to arrest, shots were soon fired, as Helmawr’s Palanite Enforcers sought to crack down on the House of Artifice.

atk84QS.jpg

bhAUrD8.jpg

A highlight of Game One was when the Palanite Sergeant charged the Van Saar leader and slammed magnacles on him..and the two then ineptly fighting each other until the end of the game.

Both gangs ended up bottling out – but the Van Saars bottled out first, leaving the field to the Enforcers.

Game Two

Again – same set-up, but we swapped the gangs, so that I played the Enforcers. I made a hard push up my right flank with a Palanite Sergeant with Boltgun, a Patrolman with a Concussion Carbine (by the Gods those things are SWEET, if unreliable at actually dealing damage), and a Patrolman with a Boltgun. The Van Saar has a rough time there, as the Van Seer Leader – Alucard Flashheart failed a 3+ save and took a Damage 2 bolt hit – and promptly went out of action.

RTW2LC7.jpg

mUU6aZv.jpg

AsTSJdK.jpg

Again both gangs bottled out – but like before, the Van Saars bottled out first.

As I have not played Necromunda since 2020, it was really good fun having a go at it again – despite having to do quite a number of rulebook look-ups. I am now eagerly looking forward to getting some paint on my Enforcers!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Hail!

Last night I gathered up all my Palanites and decided to get them basecoated with a black primer. 

txwc2rQ.jpg

Following the priming, I then sat down and churned out the 18 bases from start to finish. This is the end result:

uV55mtr.jpg

Over all - for about 1½ hours work, I am more than pleased. I "might" add a wee bit of more grime in select places and perhaps a touch of Athonian Camo Shade as well - but even if I don't I am very satisfied with them.

The process was the following:

1) Heavy drybrush / dabbing of Rhinox Brown

2) Dabbing with Mournfang Brown

3) Dabbing with Vermin Brown

4) Dabbing with Fire Dragon Bright

5) Paint the hazard stripes with Averland Sunset 

6) Follow up on the yellow with Yriel Yellow

7) Paint the stripes Abaddon Black

8) Light drybrush the bases with Leadbelcher

9) Give the entire base a wash of Agrax Earthshade to tie it all together

10) Add minor scratches with Mithril Silver (or Stormcast Silver?)

That was it. 

Now on to the Street Judges! Sorry...Palanite Enforcers!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Hail!

I have not gotten any painting done in over a week on account of work and illness, but I have instead assembled a Christmast gift I got two years ago: The Gang Stronghold!

knGPd5S.jpg

It is a lovely, imposing building! It will get the spray can treatment during the weekend, followed by washes and drybrushing. The plan is to get it done "quick" (or at least "quick-ish"), so that I do not go down the rabbit hole of painting every sprocket, rivet and widget on it. That way madness surely lies!

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas

• 3 months later...

Hail! 

So! After not updating for a while, I managed to finish my Palanite Enforcer gang this weekend:

ysyyaxt.jpg

I am very pleased with them.

Now I am merrily chipping away at the last 8 Enforcers:

MJ7ZOoQ.jpg

mdJrVM2.jpg

Which should be done in time for me to be able to by the new Palanite Brutes - the Lawtomata bots - coming out soon. They look awesome! 

Finally, my group started a campaign - Crucible in Flames (https://yaktribe.games/underhive/campaign/crucible_in_flames.16139/) - this weekend, and managed to get in two games:

First was Enforcers vs. Delaque, which resulted in a Palanite win and claiming control of a Collapsed Dome. Despite having three Gangers taken OOA, none of them ended up with debilitating injuries. 

nHZ7e9M.jpg

0Qw9Ltp.jpg

Second games was Enforcers vs. Orlocks. Orlock won and claimed a Hab Level. Orlocks had a Ganger and an Arms Master end up in Recovery (the Arms Master with  a lasting Head Injury). The Palanites had a Patrolman end up in Recovery as well, also with a lasting Head Injury. On the bright side, a Palanite Patrolman had had two great games, amassing 6 Xp which was promptly spent on an advancement, resulting in him getting +1T. Not too shabby!

i0P9vo0.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Master Ciaphas

Hail!

The struggle for dominance in the Underhive of Hive Crucible has continued. The Iron Council of House Orlock faced down House Delaque for control of the Mine Workings. Despite being outnumbered, the House of Iron managed to win the day with no casualties, while House Delaque had both a Ganger and a Champion in Recovery. 

In the other part of the Underhive, the Palanite Enforcers defended a settlement against the newly emerged Corpse Grinders. We were fighting for control of the sole racket in the campaign - so it was of extra worth to the Palanites! 

5XK75Ve.jpg

NoeUxb3.jpg

Sergeant Strickland decided to storm out of cover and coup de grace two seriously injured Corpse Grinder Initiates...

UckHmFo.jpg

sRKbv9H.jpg

In the end, the Corpse Grinders bottled out; they had two Initiates and a Skinner OOA, with a second Skinner seriously injured. My opponent had his Butcher front and center - and decided to test Cool with him first - and rolled a "3"! Had he passed, he would have been able to charge my thin, blue line with his Butcher and both Cutters - which would have resulted in a heap of dismembered Palanites! This was also his very first game, and he made some errors with how to use his infiltrating Initiates and did not really use cover. His masks did, however, offer some protection, as the Palanites did fail to shoot four times on account of them. Lastly - my opponent also failed each and every save that he made throughout the game - rarely have I seen such poor luck on the dice. 

My Palanites have now grown to include both a Subjugator and a Rogue Doc!

https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/sector_17_patrol_zulu-bravo.341269/

Cheers!

Edited by Master Ciaphas

Hail!

Just to show off what I am working on at the moment, and that should be done by tonight :-) My Zone Mortalis floor tiles, that I started on back in Winter - and then forgot to finish :-)

Progress of the last week:

BxhhUFx.jpg

YFyEZjS.jpg

YEmvjzZ.jpg

This morning:

7cAZ9WO.jpg

Z9PE9zu.jpg

The scatter terrain is just to give an impression of what the finished thing might look like! The great thing is that the four tiles, and a suitable amount of scatter terrain, will mean that I can keep enough stuff for small (6 gangers a side) games in my apartment, rather than have to run down to my basement each and every time. 

Cheers!

Master Ciaphas