Emperor's Spears rules and lineage

edgykylo

It's mentioned that Amadeus is one of the Firstborn very early on, when Anuradha mentions that all of the Emperor's Spears they've met are Primaris.

Cheers, Is that firstborn primaris or firstborn of the “new” chapter 888. Sorry for such a basic question but I must be completely blind and missed it.

Firstborn is what non-Primaris/Oldmarines are referred to by in the novel.

Edited by Gederas

Firstborn is what non-Primaris/Oldmarines are referred to by in the novel.

cheers matey, managed to go back and re-read it. makes more sense now, must have been tired when i read that bit. thanks :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say this is the first ADB novel I wasn't thrilled with. For some reason I just never bonded with the main character. I enjoyed many of the human characters and perspectives in other novels (mostly Heresy books). And maybe listening to the audio book had something to do with it. Kinda disappointed.

Besides that, the Spears do seem interesting and honestly I was very interested in the Mentors background. The Spears monestary being under the ocean seemed obvious from the beginning for me. I will be interested in another book if not done in the same style.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread. With the new rules changes we can update our Emp Spears chapter tactic to be a bit more than just Redden the Earth. If we hold true to the unmodified 6s for 2 hits, what would be a secondary tactic we could add to that? Whirlwind of Rage + what? This new codex is super exciting.

Since they’re ultramarines successors, I’d go with stoic (+1 Ld) plus whirlwind of rage. Stoic is the first half of the ultramarines chapter tactic so I’d think that’s pretty fluffy.

Since they’re ultramarines successors, I’d go with stoic (+1 Ld) plus whirlwind of rage. Stoic is the first half of the ultramarines chapter tactic so I’d think that’s pretty fluffy.

They just aren't ultramarines. They dont even much like the Ultras. Being head hunters I'm thinking something else.

Moving and shooting without negative modifiers would seem fitting for them as a secondary trait.

My biggest hope is that we can get away with just getting the new Codex without getting the Supplement for the Ultramarines (despite the Spears being and Ultramarines Successor).

Moving and shooting without negative modifiers would seem fitting for them as a secondary trait.

My biggest hope is that we can get away with just getting the new Codex without getting the Supplement for the Ultramarines (despite the Spears being and Ultramarines Successor).

You absolutely could...

But you'd be missing out on a nice list of Warlord Traits, Stratagems, relics, psychic powers, special issue wargear, and the scions of guilliman ability you get if your entire army is from that single Successor (in this case, Emperor's Spears). 

Edited by Lemondish

With how permissive the successor chapter rules are you're really shooting yourself in the foot by not picking up the supplement but you can probably get away with picking up the Ultramarines cards instead for their stratagems and psychic powers and not have one more book to drag around.

For me it’s more of a: “I haven’t played in a while, I’d like to play my Space Marines as Emperors Spears, but I don’t have a the time or money to fully invest back into the hobby. Can I get away with JUST the new codex for now and not worry about Supplements until either I have time or money to burn?”

That’s my current train of thought. I want to stay up to date, but work and my social life has dragged me away from 40K almost entirely.

For me it’s more of a: “I haven’t played in a while, I’d like to play my Space Marines as Emperors Spears, but I don’t have a the time or money to fully invest back into the hobby. Can I get away with JUST the new codex for now and not worry about Supplements until either I have time or money to burn?”

That’s my current train of thought. I want to stay up to date, but work and my social life has dragged me away from 40K almost entirely.

The answer is a resounding yes. You do not need the supplement. You gain a lot of cool things from it, but you don't need it to run your army.

From reading the novel they didn't strike me as a chapter that categorically favours close combat over other forms of fighting.

I would give them +1 Leadership and +1 to advance and charging, seems like a flexible mix.

ADB says they are a shock and awe type chapter focusing on pin point assaults favoring drop pods etc.

I’m planning to add a Druid to my Emperors Spears. With the new codex and UM book how would you represent it rule wise? Because of how good is the new chaplain I was thinking of using it. But the true is that druids are a mix of librarian, chaplain and aphotecary so it has a difficult translation with the current rules. Most similar thing is the runefang priest of the SW I think.

Also, on a side note. Any ideas for a good conversion?

I would use either the Chaplain or Librarian as a base kit -Then add in components from the Apothecary kit. What's great about that kit is that all of the Apothecary gubbins is not on the monopose body, so you could put the backpack on either of the other two bodies and swap around the arms. It seemed from the novel that the Druids were either a Chaplain/Apothecary or a Librarian/Apothecary, as opposed to every one being a combination of all three.

I’m planning to add a Druid to my Emperors Spears. With the new codex and UM book how would you represent it rule wise? Because of how good is the new chaplain I was thinking of using it. But the true is that druids are a mix of librarian, chaplain and aphotecary so it has a difficult translation with the current rules. Most similar thing is the runefang priest of the SW I think.

Also, on a side note. Any ideas for a good conversion?

Instragram has some well made conversions. Honestly for my guys I'm not going to get super fancy and do a ton of kitbashing on those type units. I'm simply going to run then as slot 1. i.e. the chaplain will be a chaplain, the libby a libby, etc. For the apothecary I'm just going to pain his armor black and his helmet white and splash some ogham on him. But we know he is either a chap or psyker respectively. The alternative being you could give the Apothecary a crozius as well.

In the army I painted for etl. The druidics ( librarian chaplain apocathery) I just did the armor black and used celtic shoulder pads. Rules don't really give a way to combine them. As for tactics I'm using. Whirlwind of rage. And tactical withdrawal. I've also put a lot of mobility into my army with flyers and jump packs. With drop pods to follow