Codex: Space Marines 2.0 speculation & discussion

Guest Triszin

I’d be curious ... are there more UM players than DIY? If so is it the large number of the special characters? You’d think a rule to build your own would generate equal sales for DIY players who prefer using their own imagination and creative skills.

I’d be curious ... are there more UM players than DIY? If so is it the large number of the special characters? You’d think a rule to build your own would generate equal sales for DIY players who prefer using their own imagination and creative skills.

I feel like there are opportunities to spread out many of the chapter specific characters into special, limited HQ choices. Every chapter has a chief librarian, master of scouts, and whatever Chronus is. Chapter Masters and unique infantry units would, in my eyes, be the best place to focus on separating the chapters rather than overloading one with a bajillion special characters while others have but one.

Dude with staff and back banner, 2 eliminators it seems and a dude posed like photos librarian.

Curious about the phobos posed dude.

Theres already a librarian there, cant be another.

actually think its the exact same model. single release of him. wasn't he on his own sprue?

Yes, the Captain and Librarian were both on separate sprues. The Lieutenant was mixed in with the others.

The Libby could be Primaris Tigurius. He has a staff and a back banner...

THUS my conclusion in the preceding post that that's who it was. I didn't just pull a name out of the codex at random.

They kinds do,

1- select Character

2- select Wargear

3- select Warlord Trait

4- select Relic

5- give your "Special Character" a name

6- keep these the same every game

Congratulations, you've now created "Chapter Master Bob of the Shiny Sabers who's renowned for his successful campaign an against the Aeldari of Craftworld Mar'khamill"

Rik

They kinds do,

1- select Character

2- select Wargear

3- select Warlord Trait

4- select Relic

5- give your "Special Character" a name

6- keep these the same every game

Congratulations, you've now created "Chapter Master Bob of the Shiny Sabers who's renowned for his successful campaign an against the Aeldari of Craftworld Mar'khamill"

Rik

Sure, but you can also make Bob an Ultramarine who can now play next to the Chief Librarian, the Primaris Calgar, or even alongside the Primarch without losing a beat.

Which from a rules perspective continues to be a sore point for everyone not enamored with the Smurfs ;)

I still think Strats could make units useful even without altering the datasheet, for example imagine if you could teleport in a Redemptor Dreadnough 9" from an enemy unit and then charge 2D6+2. Suddenly becomes a serious threat.

That's certainly possible, but not a good approach. Units should be useful by default with Stratagems making them temporarily better depending on the situation.

We need better strats that are well thought out . Me I would take what Ishagu proposes.

I agree but GW works on a specific, monopose business model right now. I feel like they'd rather special characters the a multi part kit.

To be fair, nearly all the characters in the range's history have been largely monopose. What with the metal, then finecast ranges for blister characters.

The only exception I can think of is the SM commander box kit, or the plastic command squad kit.

I also cannot think of a single chaplain or librarian kit which wasn't monopose? (Techmarine too?)

Ah but we used to be able to kit bash our characters quite easily. I've got a MK4 Librarian I built only 3 months ago after all.

However, I do concede that many people stick to character clam packs.

I've got a kitbashed primaris librarian, kit bashed primaris apothecary and a kit bashed primaris chaplain. You still can, just as easily as before.

Ah but we used to be able to kit bash our characters quite easily. I've got a MK4 Librarian I built only 3 months ago after all.

However, I do concede that many people stick to character clam packs.

I've got a kitbashed primaris librarian, kit bashed primaris apothecary and a kit bashed primaris chaplain. You still can, just as easily as before.

Pics please! I struggle myself with GW's more recent kits (including my Blades of Khorne) to kit bash.

Based on the new repulsor changes, what good things come out of this codex, expect it to be nerfed a month after release regardless :biggrin.:

I think a smaller points hike would have been appropriate, with the full 30 landing on the deathwatch version.

Either that, or repulsors are getting strat/tactic support in the new book and they were just over the top

Based on the new repulsor changes, what good things come out of this codex, expect it to be nerfed a month after release regardless :biggrin.:

I think a smaller points hike would have been appropriate, with the full 30 landing on the deathwatch version.

Either that, or repulsors are getting strat/tactic support in the new book and they were just over the top

I think it deserved to be 30 points less than it was already, not 30 more.

A measly 16 wounds with no FNP, no invuln, and these current cover and LoS rules made them difficult to field except in numbers.

I'm reserving any judgement until the full codex lands. As of now this is still just a unit with a datasheet and no book.

For all we know the weapons on it will all get cheaper, or it will get chapter tactics, or great strats, etc

I think it deserved to be 30 points less than it was already, not 30 more.

A measly 16 wounds with no FNP, no invuln, and these current cover and LoS rules made them difficult to field except in numbers.

Well yea; my assumption is that they're only fielded when there's a minimum of 2 to create redundancy and multiple targets.

Archived