Tomb Blades vs Immortals

Beatnik cryptek

Tomb  blades vs immortals

Since I now have a unit of tomb blades i'm looking at them in relation to other units, mostly immortals since they mostlyt have the same weapons load out. Yes a TB can take the particle caster,  which makes me wonder why immortals can't....

Basically how do you choose between immortals and tomb blades?

Yoiu usually need troops to fill out a regiment so immortals are almost a a must have in at least some numbers. Once those are fulfilled,  what do you choose?

Tomb blades are expensive compared to immortals.  A stock immortal costs 15 points. A stock tomb blade equipped with the same weapons immortals carry costs 28 points,  nearly twice as much.  But are those points worth it?

Well,  a TB has twice the firepower of an immortal at less than twice the cost. It has twice the wounds at less than twice the cost. It has a higher toughness and it -1 to be hit. It takes 2 1w hits to kill a tomb blade, all of which add to a TBs survivabilty despite having a 4+ save vs the immortals 3+.

A TB has versatility if you want to pay for it. For 3 points a sheildvane gives it a 3+ save matching an immortal at a cost of 31 points. For extra points you can ignore cover saves or have a 5++ save.

You can make a hard to kill unit with T5 2w, 3+/5++ for 32 points per unit that can shoot a s6 assault 3 weapon to 24". This has obvious uses for taking and holding objectives.

They get the fly and biker rules.

Immortals have advantages. They benefit from infantry buffs like MWBD which is a big deal with tesla weapons. They can be moved by a veil of darkness or brought in by monolith or night scythe.

In melee an equal number of points will have more  attacks.

The tomb blades sheer versatility and their clear advanftagesin taking and holding objectives makes them very attractive to me. How do do yoiu feel? 

Edited by Beatnik cryptek

The choice is simple in my eyes. If you want Tesla, bring Immortals. If you don't, bring Tomb Blades. Give the Tomb Blades Shieldvanes. Other upgrades are less valuable, you'd have to play around with them and see which ones you like. Edited by Tyriks

Well with necrons there's a special situation: Resurrection protocols. 

See,  most units,  you get all wiped out but one,  is it that big a deal that one unit survived?  In a lot of cases one lone unit is hardly worth bothering with. Maybe he denies the enemy a point for wiping out a unit,  maybe he holds an objective maybe. 

With necrons one single modelm surviving is a preally big deal because it enables RP,  and allows the possibility of playing a stray to increase resurrection rolls,  at. 

So I'm thinking with a nocron unit rp and an option to make each model more surviveable is likely worth it as it can make the difference between no chance of ressurection and getting some I its back per turn. 

Theyre very similar in some ways, but not so much in others. A TB is basically two immortals strapped together on speed. But, theyre neither troops nor infantry, which makes holding objectives harder. That said, their high mobility means that theyre decent at flanking and harrassing. Since they dont benefit from as many buffs, sending the out on their own is less of an issue.

Though personally, I think teslablades do have their place - if you want to use their mobility, you might as well get guns that can still shoot after advancing. In the end, its up to you and what you want to achieve with them though. :)

I’m not a fan of the particle caster. No ap and not enough shots. It’s a gun that struggles to kill screen units(such as guardsmen).

I prefer the gauss. They’re fast and can easily get into rapid fire range. With fly they can get up into ruins and so are harder to charge, and of course can fall back and shoot.

A cryptek w/ a cloak can keep up with them as long as his advance rolls are average. Although he will probably slow them down a bit.

I dont see competition. You have to bring Immortals anyway unless you want warriors for some reason. Tomb Blades are great for mass mobile fire, I always give them tesla, nebulascope and shieldvanes.I bring both in every list along with a destroyer squad. Anything else is optional. TB are very much auto-includes.