How do you decide what to work on next?

War Angel

I’ve got a lot of stuff to work on, how do you decide what to do next?

For reference I have the follow to build

Space Marines To build

9 intercessor squads

1 inceptor squad

3 hellblaster squads

2 redemptors

1 repulsor executioner

1 infiltrator squad

1 eliminator squad

1 suppressor squad

Phobos lieutenant

Phobos Libraian

Phobos commander

Gravis commander

2 Primaris commanders

Primaris lieutenant

I design a force, then build to that.

So looking at your intimidating list make a basic Battalion.

Knock out 2 HQ. Whatever is coolest to you.

2 Intercessors squads, maybe 3, or add that infiltrator squad for your 3rd troop.

Then it's off to the races, one of each the other slots.

You've got choices, in Fast attack and Heavy.

Hellblasters do work, so it's a go to unit.

Inceptors have also been very useful for me.

I'd leave the vehicles for now, and get your line infantry started.

Once you have that constructed, get playing and see where your holes are.

My most successful Primaris army was boot heavy, lots of infantry on the ground. The Bolt Rifle en' masse can be quite effective.

Update us here on the forum as you build, so other players can cheer you on.

Good luck brother.

Edited by mel_danes

I guess I should mention I’ve already got the dark imperium set finishedas well as an apothecary, Libby, and repulsor. Lol.

There’s no such thing as finishing all your models before buying more. Unless I sell 29 boxes of firstborn.

I personally enjoy building characters the most, largely because I like to kitbash or tweak them. 

Next would be line troops - I enjoy trying to find ways to give the whole squad some character. My next squad I build will be crossing the Hellblaster bodies with Intercessors to make a squad that looks a slight bit different from the others. 

Finally, vehicles - I actually kind of hate building vehicles (though I love to paint them). 

I don't make decisions until I have just refilled my water pot, then I pick up whichever of my projects I'm most in the mood for from a list that consists of:

-The balance of my Primaris Mantis Warriors to take them from 2k to 3k, most of which is base coated but needs to be finished.

-Warhammer Underworlds Warbands, I think I've finished 11 of the 16 so far, they're all playable, but the last 5 need finishing.

-My second Adeptus Titanicus Battlegroup and a box of each flavour of Knights got delivered recently, plus a Warlord that went for an absolute steal on ebay, pretty much all still on the sprues.

-WarCry is turning up on Saturday

So I've got plenty to keep me occupied and I flit about like a happy little hobby butterfly. I've painted 2k points of Flesh Eater Courts for AoS this year already along with the first Adeptus Titanicus Battlegroup, a Bloodbowl Team, a whole load of scenery and some of the PriMantis Warriors.

Rik

I paint whatever I'm inspired to paint. The only time there's any consitency to this is during events, like ETL. It's my most productive time. The rest of the time I flit from project to project, often only doing a couple of evening's painting on one and not finishing it. It's frustrating, especially because my mind is constantly seeing inspiration, be it from new kits, third party bits, battle reports, photos, novels, reading a tactics article or Codex or any number of other sources. I have document after document of planned projects that I'll probably never get round to on top of all the half finished and still boxed stuff I already have.

Whatever I feel like and want to see finished. It helps to only buy new things when you've painted most of what you already have. ^^

Such radical ideas have no place in this forum.

"Excuse me, Inquisitor? This one, over here."

Whatever I feel like and want to see finished. It helps to only buy new things when you've painted most of what you already have. ^^

You must be the Hobby Commissar sfPanzer - such discipline is unheard of from regular hobby troopers ;)

It's a mix of both, really. I'm stuck with my T'au because my backlog is a mess for those so I'm forcing myself to be more disciplined with my BA and Slaanesh Daemons but I'm also currently spending most of my money on festivals. :D Edited by sfPanzer

My current project is to complete an entire Company, so I am sticking to the concept of that Company.

This is why I've been painting up Predators instead of Contemptors even though my chosen Chapter Tactics is Master Artisans.

But what unit do you work on first?

My current project is to complete an entire Company, so I am sticking to the concept of that Company.

This is why I've been painting up Predators instead of Contemptors even though my chosen Chapter Tactics is Master Artisans.

But what unit do you work on first?

Ah, right. I usually try and complete units that are 'new' to the project first (in the "Oh, I haven't done any Tactical Squads for this project yet..." sense). Once there's nothing new, IO come back around and go for things that I haven't done in a while (in general).

Also, if I don't have a clear mental picture of what the end result of a unit looks like, I actually skip it and come back to it later too.

Guest MistaGav
I have an excel spreadsheet that I list all the models I need to work on and then split it up by month. I then put all other models away and focus only on those bits on my monthly schedule. It gets mixed up a lot depending on mood and releases but it keeps it broken up and focused.

I have an excel spreadsheet that I list all the models I need to work on and then split it up by month. I then put all other models away and focus only on those bits on my monthly schedule. It gets mixed up a lot depending on mood and releases but it keeps it broken up and focused.

This is how I organise my projects as well. Though in my case it's less a schedule and more just a way to put down target dates to complete a unit by (I even highlight it in red if I miss my targeted date).

I create a ~2200 point list. I play it a lot, and it becomes my hobby goal (to get completely painted).

After that ... I swap some units in and out of my go-to list and they become the new hobby goal.

That strategy keeps it from becoming mentally and physically overwhelming (I have around 9k of Blood Angels that I someday want fully painted). Also keeps it from starting to feel like a 2nd job, which crushes the fun factor.

Edited by Helias Tancred