Justus Mortis Crusade

vossyvo

Thx All!!
I was really worried about starting the whole army again and burning out very quickly - but painting it in the style I really want has been a great opportunity.

I just didn't have the experience with Enamels/Pigments/battle damage to get them where I wanted in 2019.

Little reflection, but this was the first concept I actually had for doing this high weathering/battle damage BT scheme back in 2012 when I was new to painting... Can see how far its come to get the look I was envisioning back then :D

image.thumb.png.80b61ad5dba8dbc77cd4875511c2e80e.png

Also I picked up a redemptor this week. Looking to start him over the Easter break. Going to attempt some plasma burns around the holes in the Drones front armour pannel.  

image.thumb.png.c1e481a71da8d9890f9602eea0b89ab2.png

• 3 months later...

With the launch of 10th I have a huge pile of shame once again :D

I'll be moving through the Leviathan set in the next couple of months - but had to get these few items done and off the painting table. 

Got a few games in with 10th Edition Templars- and really enjoyed it - which is helping to get the painting Mojo moving.

1170813_sm-Black%20Templar%20Redemptor%2

1170814_sm-Black%20Templar%20Redemptor%2

Also my two Impulsors

1163686_sm-Black%20Templars%2C%20Primari

Well, there's nothing to say here, isn't it? Superb as always ;)

But wait! No, there is something to say: The plasma effect on the coil, as well as on the drone's armour is superb. It works particularly well with the black background.

I'm also glad 10th edition works for you!

Finished up the Captain in Terminator Armour. Trying to pick off some low hanging fruit in the Leviathan kit while I work through batch painting the rest of the larger units in the box. 

I went with some small additions to add some BT spice, but really wanted/should have put a Relic Shield on - unfortunately I couldn't find my spare bladeguard shields anywhere - I regret not ordering some online and waiting but it is what it is.

Not sure how much I'll actually be fielding this guy. Finding it hard to fit him into any lists I make at the moment. Maybe once I get a Land Raider.

Nice to have the option though. 

1171191_sm-Black%20Templars%20Leviathan%

1171192_sm-Black%20Templars%20Leviathan%

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Few more units from Leviathan finished up over the last couple of days.

I'll be chipping away on the Ballistus Dreadnought next.

Got a bit carried away and purchased a few more units and vehicles to expand my options for gaming - but it means my painting backlog is growing rather then shrinking :)

I'm looking at joining a small escalation league so will aim to only field units I need to paint to help push along the progress. 

1171307_sm-Black%20Templar%20%20Lieutena

1171308_sm-Black%20Templar%20%20Lieutena

1171309_sm-Black%20Templar%20%20Lieutena

1171751-Black%20Templar%20Leviathan%20St

• 2 weeks later...

Justus Mortis grows once again! 

I've started to draft out a Crusade force since my gaming group is keen to give it a try under 10th edition.

Busy figuring out names for all the characters & units - and settling on what makes it into the 1000 point. I'll attempt to write up some backstory for it as well :)

Also looking at name plates for the characters if anyone can recommend a place that provides them?

1172364_sm-Apothecary%20Biologis%2C%20Bl

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Planning out the crusade force has really helped to keep the painting mojo flowing.

Finished up two more units.

First up some Eradicators to add some much needed anti armour:

1172900_sm-Black%20Templar%20Eradicators

Then also a Ballistus Dread from Leviathan.
Which I'm actually finding pretty versatile with the frag option on the missle launcher - not bad for smaller point games where I really need versatile units. 

1172898_sm-Black%20Templar%20Ballistus%2

1172899_sm-Black%20Templar%20Ballistus%2

1172901_sm-Black%20Templar%20Anti%20Armo

Have also decided on my command/Marshal Household for the newly formed Justus Mortis Crusade's order of battle.

I have nameplates coming for the Characters, still working on the backstory.

Crusade Name: Justus Mortis

Command:

Marshal Godard Ironsoul (BT Marshal).

Sigwald De Payens (BT Terminator Captain).

Arnulf Montbard (BT Gravis Captain).

Support:

Castor (Primaris Apothecary).

Evard (Apothecary Biologis).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

The nameplates arrived for my Crusade characters. 

I've not managed to get a crusade game in just yet but hopefully soon.

1173990_sm-Black%20Templar%20Characters%

Also finshed up my Terminator squad from Leviathan.

1173992_sm-Black%20Templars%2C%20Black%2

and a small squad of Aggressors which I'll be running with the Gravis Captain or the Biologis
1174115_sm-Black%20Templar%20Aggressors.

I've also purchased a squad of sword bretheren which I'm hoping to get done in the coming week or two (love the models, but also seem really great in game at the moment). 

Kinda glad that none of the new space marine reveals picked my interest - was worried I would keep growing the backlog of minis :D

I kin do of know that I'm repeating myself but I really dig your paint scheme. I think that if I were to start my involvement in the hobby (and not back in 5th edition), I'd go with a similar style.

Regarding your purchases, I'm glad that you decided the way you did. It's good to have things under control. While I don't want to support GW with their rubbish pricing and rules policies, I know how hard it is to refrain from buying new, cool stuff. The fact that a release wave isn't all that exciting sure helps to make the right decision. I'm super glad that GW doesn't allow for free use of HH vehicles in 40k - I think that'd be the limit of my iron-ish resolve.

I'm looking forward to seeing you Sword Brethren. I think that the details on those marines are particularly nice; the poses are somewhat clumsy (as with many overly 'dynamic' Primaris models; the new JP Intercessor being a case in point) but it's one of my favourite Primaris BT kits and one that I'd surely get if I were to start a small Primaris force.

Yeah I try to keep as small a backlog as possible. If I've got a mountain of plastic infront of me I find it much harder to even pick up the paintbrush to start.

You are not wrong about the pricing either. I try buy as much as possible from my FLGS rather then GW direct - but with the prices these days its getting even harder to justify that. Find myself dipping into the 2nds groups on facebook to pick up units at a discount here and there. Also really helps to stop me buying too much at once since I can't just purchase on demand. My battleworn scheme also means I can generally turn models of any condition into the end product :D

That said - if I had the scratchbuild/conversion skills you do I'd be throwing myself headlong into Orks and building an entire mech army from plasticard haha. 

Managed to get the Sword Brethren done. Amazing kit - I really enoyed it.
I forgot to get a photo of them from behind, I put some of the big maltese cross transfers onto their capes (i'll get another snap of that soon).

I didn't go with the completely back shoulder pads with the red trim - not sure how I felt about that in the end, was bit of regret at one point in the painting process but too late to revert at that point - generally happy overall though. 

1174318-Black%20Templar%20Sword%20Brethr

• 2 weeks later...

So I felt like I needed some more transport options.

I was tossing up between a Land Raider or a Repulsor. Since my army doesn't currently contain any "Firstborn" units - I thought I would stick with the Repulsor (even though I prefer the look of the landraider). 

Rules wise I'm actually loving the Impulsor after the points drop - I think I'll find it hard to fit the Repulsor into a list. Impulsor has good mobility, firing deck, some handy firepower of its own, and once they dump their cargo they can go about working on secondaries - or even just charging in melee to tie up threats that can't deal with vehicles. 

1175157-Black%20Templar%20Repulsor.jpg

1175160-Black%20Templar%20Repulsor.JPG

1175161-Black%20Templar%20Repulsor.JPG

The repulsor will likely be transporting my sword brethren or a big squad of agressors when I do use it.

1175158-Black%20Templar%20Repulsor.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey All!
I've not posted any painted minis for a while since I was working on a display board.

Entered my force as an Armies on Parade this year (minus a few of the Impulsors which I couldn't actually fit onto the board :facepalm:).

Thought I would share a few photos. Helsreach was a great inspiration for my force, so I really wanted to put a few Orks into the mix. 

This was something I wanted to enter for a long time and it was great to finally tick it off the list. Was also awesome to see a few Templar forces taking out awards!

1180030-Black%20Templar%20Aop%2C%20Black

1180035-Black%20Templar%20Aop%2C%20Black

1180032-Black%20Templar%20Aop%2C%20Black

1180033-Black%20Templar%20Aop%2C%20Black

1180034-Black%20Templar%20Aop%2C%20Black

1180031-Black%20Templar%20Aop%2C%20Black

1180036-Black%20Templar%20Aop%2C%20Black

On 8/3/2023 at 8:02 AM, vossyvo said:

Justus Mortis grows once again! 

I've started to draft out a Crusade force since my gaming group is keen to give it a try under 10th edition.

Busy figuring out names for all the characters & units - and settling on what makes it into the 1000 point. I'll attempt to write up some backstory for it as well :)

Also looking at name plates for the characters if anyone can recommend a place that provides them?

1172364_sm-Apothecary%20Biologis%2C%20Bl

I'm going to copy that tilt shield look for my Apothecary Biologis! It really punches above its weight!!