Discussion on the new C:SM & Possible BT supplement

So, interesting tidbit about the Company Champion, which might impact/transfer to The Emperor's Champion 2.0 : it gained an attack, a beefier version of Honour or Death (6" intervention if there's en enemy character), it can reroll both to-hit and to-wound rolls, and more importantly, it has a new rule called Martial Superiority. If he's within 1" of an enemy character, he fights first even if he did not charge.

Also, slightly salty we barely have half a page of fluff in the book.

And 2 artwork pictures, and zero army pics.

Well let's wait and see what's happening.

Probably IF/Salamanders release.

(And probably last one aswell as I predicted weeks ago)

Edited by Sete

I'm really coming around to Incursors as well, lots of knives, up close and personal. (I especially like the one about to throw a knife!) Definite Templar potential. I may also use my penitent idea to explain away the sneakiness, maybe red helmets to mark them for censure?

(I'm not absolutely set on that yet, it's a little pre-Heresy Ultras, any other ideas?)

I'm starting to think that deleted rumour of Templars having a steadily increasing role up to the sisters release might be true. Would allow a delay between the smaller codex and a bt supplement with miniature support. Presumably a chaos release is coming at some point with multi part kits for the shadowspear stuff.

Adelard:

I am not Sold on phobos to be honest. Reivers kind of work with a bit of kitbashing, but the Rest of the range I am not so sure about. I want gothic knights in space. Not cs:go in space. But I am very wiling to be proven wrong by some nice conversions.

As far as censure goes: maybe completely blank shoulder pads with no trim and no heraldry? As templars are said to proudly display their heraldry on both pouldrons, these shamed initiates lost their rank of Paladin and are only allowed to wear Black pouldrons.

I know what you mean, they are a bit unlike the traditional aesthetic. But I still rather like them as models. (I think Reinhard has done a set which looked great.)

In some ways, this also plays into the penitent idea that Sete inspired and I developed when Shadowspear came out. Phobos, (Reivers aside?) Is not 'traditional' BT, but it may be seen as a necessary evil, a distasteful assignment which is given to brothers in need of redemption.

Another of the advantages of both what you say, and Phobos, is that because we only have one 'real' pauldron to work with, the other shoulder already loses its standard heraldry by design. Therefore I'm tempted to paint the full one standard and leave the other black. It seems to me that Incursors probably fall more into the close assault category (as far as our chapter's colours go), rather than the standard colours, so should have red trim and black crosses?

I'm really coming around to Incursors as well, lots of knives, up close and personal. (I especially like the one about to throw a knife!) Definite Templar potential. I may also use my penitent idea to explain away the sneakiness, maybe red helmets to mark them for censure?

(I'm not absolutely set on that yet, it's a little pre-Heresy Ultras, any other ideas?)

I would say that each shooty weapon is more Templar like then a knife.

Incursors and Infiltrators are not Templar-like. Not a little bit.

For me, Aggressors and Intercessors are most Templar-like - as well as redemptor and any repulsor.

Heyas battle brothers.

i am a player that stopped playing long ago (played 3rd through 5th edition) and i am interested in revitalising the crusade. most of my army needs glues/repairs after all these years but at least i have  some functional models to avoid starting from scratch (mostly dreadnoughts, an LRC/assault termies, and some initiates)

my intention is to slowly transition to a primaris-heavy army- particularly adding some reivers and/or hellblasters . also, what is the state of dreadnoughts this edition/codex?

Edited by MarshalMittermeier

Another of the advantages of both what you say, and Phobos, is that because we only have one 'real' pauldron to work with, the other shoulder already loses its standard heraldry by design. Therefore I'm tempted to paint the full one standard and leave the other black. It seems to me that Incursors probably fall more into the close assault category (as far as our chapter's colours go), rather than the standard colours, so should have red trim and black crosses?

Forgot to ask, but isn't there a section detailing descriptions of all the units in the codex like the previous one? In the previous codex, that flat out listed them after type of unit (battleline, fire support, close support, etc)

Rergardless, the image of a ravenguard Incursor with the big mine thing has the assault symbol on his smaller pad, so they're close support. So yes red trim, white background black cross for us.

So after playing with some tabletop level painting to try things out, I have to say treating camo cloaks like more traditional cloaks works surprisingly well for the models (just needs a large templar cross on the back):

GCr9B93.png

I probably need to finish painting him though. I just like that it feels more like a travelling knight pursuing his quarry this way.

On a different note, and I missed something, but I can't find a Librarian restriction anywhere for the Templars. Psychic Awakening future proofing or mistake?

We also don't know what team members move BT lore away from the codex to the changes we have seen from the inclusion of the SM codex.  It could have been Jervis to the full team to a second tier writer that got the go ahead shoehorn them in.

It is just a wait and see right now.  But with whatever team member had control BT in Vigilus was going in the right direction and that person or group is likely still doing BT.  Well that is hopeful thinking at least.

The more I think about it the more I realize it makes 0 sense for us to not get anything.

I’m fairly confident we’ll either have our own codex or have a respectable portion on the Sons of Dorn book.

BT and CF are more prominent chapters than some original chapters, and have more characters and lore.

If they went through the trouble of making a supplement for some of the lesser played chapters... why couldn’t they do the same for BT?

These are my thoughts, at least. I’d be incredibly disappointed if it’s not the case, however.

Heyas battle brothers.

i am a player that stopped playing long ago (played 3rd through 5th edition) and i am interested in revitalising the crusade. most of my army needs glues/repairs after all these years but at least i have some functional models to avoid starting from scratch (mostly dreadnoughts, an LRC/assault termies, and some initiates)

my intention is to slowly transition to a primaris-heavy army- particularly adding some reivers and/or hellblasters . also, what is the state of dreadnoughts this edition/codex?

Welcome to the eternal crusade brother.

I love dreadnoughts as a way to add heavy weapons/Anti Tank to my army. I dont really like most of our tanks to be honest.

Dreadnoughts, being t7 can die quickly if the enemy has enough at/rolls well.

Especially the fw choices are quite good is my understanding and with the new point Drops I hope to replace my usual 2 venerable Dreads with contemptor mortis Dreads.

I just read the rules for the primaris Version of the crusaders Helm. It specificly states not affecting litanies. So that sucks. Maybe that will be where the helm can shine

Gotta wait for the Supplement for the rest of the rules lol. Obviously no Templar worth his salt will use Witches. *looks suspiciously around

Turns out it's at the end of a paragraph that says you can't make a Blood Angels, Dark Angels or Space Wolves army with the book.

So, I've just read about this combo : Relic Whirlwind Scorpius. 3D3 shots. Can fire twice if it did not move. Can benefit from the suppression fire stratagem if it hasn't moved and can, I quote, shoot an additional time.

With the Devastator Doctrine on, we're looking at either 9D3 or 12D3 shots (depending on whether its rocket barrage ability kicks in or not, I'm not sure how you would interpret it) at S6, AP-3, D2. Hell of a way to erase an elite unit right off the bat, or am I being overly enthusiastic here ?

Did you find nice combos such as this ?

Lorewise it seems even Primaris spend time as a humble Scout, so the training of Neophytes will likely continue even with the change to Primaris.

EDIT: specifically the scouts train in the 10th as Vanguard, meaning Vanguard units -are- the Primaris Scout units.

Edited by Fulkes