Discussion on the new C:SM & Possible BT supplement

Yeah....

This rumour seems to be getting A LOT of traction..

Have there been any BT rumours lately, prior to this?

Have rumours that have been this widespread been wrong? (Probably, but curious).

I don’t know if I’m paying more attention because it’s BT, but I’m starting to get really hopeful.

Hopefully nova will give us some clarity.

Yeah....

This rumour seems to be getting A LOT of traction..

Have there been any BT rumours lately, prior to this?

Have rumours that have been this widespread been wrong? (Probably, but curious).

I don’t know if I’m paying more attention because it’s BT, but I’m starting to get really hopeful.

Hopefully nova will give us some clarity.

Last big rumour BT had was prior to 6th edition where warboss steve rumourmonger said BT were getting a codex. This was a few months before 6th edition hit and we got rolled. Now rumour thins big with BT involved, not since then.

I remember that rumour were, because it just fed my bitterness back then.

Edited by Sete

greetings. i bought the codex today. i don't have a lot of data to compare to, but i was quite the competitive player back in the day, and the FLGS with the most common tournaments is some 30 mins from my house, so... seems i am back.

some observations i made, and i ask for confirmation by people more experienced than me:

-tactical squads still suck compared to other choices. if i want a boltgun squad, i'll get primaris, and if i want heavy/specials with ablative wounds, i'll choose crusader squad despite the 13/model. what i *do* know is Troops should best be used for their defenders of humanity ability, so its better they stand back and shoot and grab objectives later, rather than assault.

-rhinos seem kinda overpriced. its ok for a good unit that needs protection, but i don't think some las/plas squad warrants a pillbox anymore?...

-teeth of terra seem too good not to include?

about our chapter tactics: seems to me the best way to take advantage of them is NOT via large crusader squads but by employing the various "deploy within 9" squads. i'm thinking Reivers and Assault Terminators. I have my Land Raider Crusader, but i just feel terminators may work better this way?

Has anyone determined if the rumor is ‘gaining traction’ because the sites that repost it monetarily gain from clicks/views or has a legitimate rumor source actually commented on it yet? Sounds like ‘Dorn is the first Primarch’ all over again.

I don't think it's gaining anything, no sites who have posted it are reputable and BT players are just excited over the idea of it, so it gets shared a lot. 

-rhinos seem kinda overpriced. its ok for a good unit that needs protection, but i don't think some las/plas squad warrants a pillbox anymore?...

There's no top hatch rule in 8th so rhinos are nothing like 4-5thth ed ones.

Mechanised squads really add up but at the start of 8th before the firepower started to ramp up rhinos were worth 74 points just for the 10 wound chassis and dual stormbolters alone. If they dropped by more than 5 points you'd be better off just forgetting marines and turning the board into a T7 10 wound mobile trench line.

What are people thinking about warlord traits and relics? Aside from marshal law.

I think the additional 2 cp for a Second warlord and Relic are well spent.

I think I will give Imperiums sword to a powersword wielding lieutenant.

For Relic I see three options:

burning blade on said lt for s8 attacks on the charge

Crusaders Helm on a Chaplain with jumppack to get as many units as possibly into the +2 charge bubble

The +1 attack Relic on a character that accompanies a blob of melee crusaders.

I plan on running a captain with Teeth of Terra and the warlord trait that gives +1 to attacks, hits, and wounds when going after characters  (0 CP). A company champion with the burning blade and the additional warlord trait that is +1 to strength and attacks on the charge (2 CP). And a chaplain with the relic smackin' stick and the prayer that gives +1 to S, A, and D (1 CP). Then I'm going to give them each their own support units and use them to break enemy characters that come after them. It isn't the most effective way to run them, but I'm glorying in the increased melee we can get away with.

There's no top hatch rule in 8th so rhinos are nothing like 4-5thth ed ones.

Mechanised squads really add up but at the start of 8th before the firepower started to ramp up rhinos were worth 74 points just for the 10 wound chassis and dual stormbolters alone. If they dropped by more than 5 points you'd be better off just forgetting marines and turning the board into a T7 10 wound mobile trench line.

thanks, this is very helpful. maybe i'll use rhinos in some heavy mechanized list  variation then, and keep the primaris list infantry-heavy. for the mechanized one, i'm thinking 2 predators + 3 rhinos + 5 dreadnoughts (am i right in reading dreads do get the chapter tactics bonus?). dunno what else i can fit, i need to carefuly read the ruleset to gauge what i need. for example, i see massed boltgun fire will still kill the vehicles (5+ to wound).

Edited by MarshalMittermeier

What are people thinking about warlord traits and relics? Aside from marshal law.

Crusaders Helm on a Chaplain with jumppack to get as many units as possibly into the +2 charge bubble

'Technically' we don't have the Crusader's Helm at the moment. There is a generic relic with the same rule, but it's Primaris only. It's quite frustrating.

1I think the additional 2 cp for a Second warlord and Relic are well spent.

2I think I will give Imperiums sword to a powersword wielding lieutenant.

3For Relic I see three options:

4burning blade on said lt for s8 attacks on the charge

5Crusaders Helm on a Chaplain with jumppack to get as many units as possibly into the +2 charge bubble

6The +1 attack Relic on a character that accompanies a blob of melee crusaders.

1 yes

2 why... we have captains ... 2 WL-Traits, 2 Captains.

4 yes- its okay but teeth of terra still is the best on a captain with stormshield, Swordmaster and jump pack.... even better then before

5 there is no crusaders helmet - dont forget that we have just this new codex and  the pdf.

6 maybe but I think the first round mostly decide what is the outcome... and then we dont need that (we loose our ability to gain +1 a in charge/being charged with his relic so far.

'Technically' we don't have the Crusader's Helm at the moment. There is a generic relic with the same rule, but it's Primaris only. It's quite frustrating.

never used that relic... now it would be a thing. I expect that relic in our supp/IF supp

If you are playing with Grimauldus right now what litany would you choose for him to know?   

I think there is just ONE which is really really better then all others. And thats canticle of hate.

So, to add some fuel to the rumour fire, here's a pic my local Warhammer Store (hype, we just got rebranded) posted for a mini available during the shop's anniversary which is due soon :
68777500_2984343224971291_76187204105189

• vs ork - check
  • primaris with chainsword - check

Now, I'll admit that I'm not following the primaris releases closely and that this pic is about a month old, but maybe there's more to this model than meet the eye.

In regards to Helm and Abhor, especially Abhor, no one I know feels that us using Abhor atleast casually has any issue with it.

But more on topic; I would definitely advocate atleast one Tide Crusader Squad because TransHuman on a Crusader Tide helps a lot vs stuff like Plasma.

Marshall Law I think is a definite in every Templar list.

Second Warlord Trait, I will say this unironically but OathKeeper on EChampion. Is not something we should scoff at. In the past OathKeeper suffered from being instead of Law or another Aura. Alongside losing a VP.

And on the EChampion, OathKeeper is solid 6” HI Bubble. Let’s him get stuck in early and often. Also the trolling of running away units is 100%.

Is that the first primaris with a chain sword?  

To the best of my knowledge yes, but as I said I haven't followed the releases closely.

I'm in the same boat that is why I was asking. :)  Currently I have given away all my primaris models (starter set & campaigns boxsets) and playing with my extensive classic collection.

In regards to Helm and Abhor, especially Abhor, no one I know feels that us using Abhor atleast casually has any issue with it.

But more on topic; I would definitely advocate atleast one Tide Crusader Squad because TransHuman on a Crusader Tide helps a lot vs stuff like Plasma.

Marshall Law I think is a definite in every Templar list.

Second Warlord Trait, I will say this unironically but OathKeeper on EChampion. Is not something we should scoff at. In the past OathKeeper suffered from being instead of Law or another Aura. Alongside losing a VP.

And on the EChampion, OathKeeper is solid 6” HI Bubble. Let’s him get stuck in early and often. Also the trolling of running away units is 100%.

Can you explain the trolling point please?

Basically you cannot advance as part of a fallback move. And most units don’t move more than 6”. Meaning a unit in combat with a character falling back. Will still be in HI 6” range.