The Lycia Crusade: The High Marshal complete!

Urkh

Ok, so my brother wasn't able to get the 22nd off, so now we're shooting for the 29th (we both typically get Mondays off, but his schedule is weird this week due to period ending corporate greed). This is fine, because I have been having trouble building a list. I have 1998 points, but it just seems like a hot mess compared to what I imagined in my head.

I have a captain with burning blade/storm shield as a Frontline commander and a master of sanctity (not sure on litanies yet) with just his crozius and bolt pistol, along with a jump pack for hq's

Four, 5 man crusade squads w/bolters, two squads have flamers.

Two 9 man crusaders (including a single neophyte in each), with a power fist on a normal guy in each, x2 LC on one sword brother, power weapon and bolt pistol on the other.

For elites we have

an ironclad with x2 heavy framers, dccw, and a hammer

A vanguard vets squad, x3 th/ss x2 paired LC (serg has LCs).

Apothecary w/ chief apothecary, crusader helm

Heavy support is 2 vindicators

Fast attack is three units of a single land speeder typhoon.

Two rhinos round off the list.

Plan was to pair a vindi and a rhino on each side of the board as a charge screen from genestealers. Each rhino carries two of the five man squads. The chappy goes into reserve with the van vets due to jump packs. These guys will deep strike and try to take down a big monster (maybe a swarmlord?). I'm thinking of putting canticles of hate on the happy to make that 9" charge on 7, and using commanding oratory the turn they come down to get it off. This would like me out of the BT litanies though, so no 6+++. A melee squad goes behind each of the tank screens. The Marshal and apothecary join one, the dread joins another. This allows me to use wisdom of the ancients to get rerolls on that side. Land speeders spread out through the backfield to deny his own deep strike shenanigans.

Hopefully, between the flamers, the missiles, and the demolisher cannon, hoards won't be an issue. Missiles, power weapons, and the demolisher again can also get damage done on monsters. Will most likely be a target priority game, which I will have to figure out as I go.

What do you guys think?

• 1 month later...

Ok everyone, I had the game against my brother's Tyranids on Monday, and I am here to report how it went!

I brought

HQ

Marshal: storm shield, burning blade

Chaplain: Master of sanctity, jump pack, exhortation of rage and canticles of hate, warlord, wise orator

Elites

Apothecary: Chief apothecary, the crusader's helm

Ironclad Dreadnought: DCCW, Seismic Hammer, x2 Heavy Flamer

Vanguard Vet squad: x3 TH/SS, x1 PoLC, "Serg" has PoLC

Troops

Crusader Squad: x6 initiates w/ cs/bp, x1 ini w/ fist, Bro with x2 LC, x1 Neo

Crusade Squad: x5 initites w/ cs/bp, x1 ini w/ fist, bro with p. axe and pistol, x1 Neo

(x2) crusader squad, x3 ini w/ bolters, x1 ini with flamer, bro with bolter

Fast attack

Land Speeder typhoon w/ heavy bolter

Heavy support

Vindicator

VIndicator

devastator squad: x4 multi melta, armorium cherub

Dedicated transport

Rhino (the two bolter squads go in here)

Drop pod (the devastators went in here)

His list had a Swarmlord, a Flyrant, a 20 man genestealer squad, a broodlord, 2 carnifex, 4 hiveguard, 3 biovores, an exocrine(?), and two mawlocks.

gallery_65490_16710_177012.jpeg

fun fact: I had more minis in my army list than he did.

We rolled for mission and got mission 2: Frontline Warfare. once the board was set up, it looked like this:

gallery_65490_16710_382059.jpeg

Neither of us has official objective markers, so we used some of his chaos terminator minis. We said that the templars are trying to recover the suits of armor, and the tyranids are in our way.

for secondaries, I took Engage on All Fronts, Bring it Down, and the Mission secondary. He brought Bring it Down, the mission Secondary, and first strike.

after deployment Templars: (I kept the drop pod w/ devastators, the vanvets, and chaplain in reserve)

gallery_65490_16710_242085.jpeg

After deployment Tyranids: (he kept two mawlocks in reserve)

gallery_65490_16710_412423.jpeg

For deployment, I wanted to see where he was going to drop the genestealers before I put down my melee infantry. I didn't want to get caught up with them in combat, so when he put them down on the left side of the board (from my PoV), I put down my footsloggers on the right side to protect them. I piled the vehicles on the left, as I figured they wouldn't be able to do much against them.

I win turn 1 and move both vindicators and the left and right speeders so they have the ability to fire on the stealers. As they are behind the baricade, they got +1 to their saves. Center speeder stays still. Rhino moves up to get the bolter marines near the objective. Center speeder stays still. Melee infantry move up and advance as much as they can. End of movement, the drop pod comes down on the back right of the board, pointing their multi meltas at the hive guard.

gallery_65490_16710_396716.jpeg

gallery_65490_16710_44679.jpeg

(that backmost crusader squad did move, it was after the picture was taken)

Shooting:

the speeders and the vindicators open fire into the genesteelers. Because of the barricade, only half of them died. However, this was enough to take away his rule for extra attacks for having more than 10 guys in the squad. The multi melta guys fire into the hiveguard, and with excellent rolling, it was completely deleted. The armorium cherub was used on the one with the signum used on him, but with a double 1 on the wound roll against the swarmlord, nothing was able to happen.

gallery_65490_16710_31322.jpeg

gallery_65490_16710_761849.jpeg

No charges, and with synapse range on his guys, no morale was needed. I score points for EoaF for having units completely within 3 table quarters.

Tyranids T1

Steelers move right of the ruins and the flyrant moves right up to the Rhino, ready to charge. The swarmlord and the carnifexes move up to the devastator squad to get ready to charge. A few psychic powers go off, one gets denied by my strategem (psychic lure). My 5+ save against mortals is very handy against those smites. Most of his guns are destroyed since i killed the hive guard, so he pops some shots off in the shooting phase with his exocrine into the right vindi, doing nothing. He then shoots it again since he didnt move, causing 4 wounds. Biovores shoot at the left crusader squad, hurting 1 guy 1 wound, and making a spore mine.

In charges, his Flyrant successfully charges the rhino (big surprise) but his genestealers and broodlord both roll 3's for their charges, and cant get in. His tyrant used some ability to allow one of his Fexes to move twice, and the one that did successfully charged the devastators, even through the -2" with the pipes!

In combat, the flyrant brings the rhino down to 3 wounds remaining, and the carnifex kills two devastators. We inflict zero wounds in return.

In Morale, nothing happens with my marines.

Templars Turn 2:

I score points for having two objectives (home base and the right most (speeder is on it)), but we both currently hold 2 objectives so no points for that.

My men disembark from the rhino, and the rhino then falls back from combat. one squad goes towards the stealers, the other into the ruins towards the objective. All the footsloggers move upwards to get to grips with the monsters heading towards the devastators. Morkdred flames down the sporemines. Two speeders go all the way to the backfield, behind his biovores that have his homefield objective. At end of movement, My vanguard vets and chaplain descend in front of the carnifex and swarmlord.

gallery_65490_16710_251399.jpeg

I fire my right vindicator into the flyrant, and in about 15 seconds, I didn't have a flyrant to worry about anymore. Unfortunately, if I had chosen my other vindicator to do this, i would have been able to shoot a pie plate at the genestealers as well. But alas, they were behind the ruins from his PoV, so they couldn't. Speeders unload into the biovores, killing all of them.

gallery_65490_16710_225107.jpeg

My shooty crusader squads both fire into the genestealers, but with some bad rolls, we only bring them down to three men left, even with flamers.

In combat, one of the shooty squads charges the stealers, and he heroicly intervenes with the broodlord. The broodlord apparently has ungodly attacks, and because of that my squad was annihilated. He consolidates towards the other shooty squad. Battle against the carnifex results in two more guys dead. The chaplain uses commanding oratory to Canticles of Hate, and the vanguard vets get into combat with the carnifex that is next to the swarmlord. They deleted the carnifex. (In hindsight, i should have declared the swarmlord as a charge target as well and gotten as many hammer attacks into him before he could strike back).

gallery_65490_16710_144001.jpeg

Tyranids turn 2:

By this point, he has basically conceded, but wants to see what damage he can do. He pops up his mawlocks next to the dreadnought and melee crusaders, and the other next to the speeders in the back. He gets a few mortal wounds in with his area of effect ability. He does marginal shooting with smite and his exocrine, but manages to kill a few initiates. In combat, the broodlord and stealers wipe up the other shooty squad, and the swarmlord almost single handedly kills all the vanguard vets, as I couldn't roll a single 4+ roll for the invulns. Oh well, he needed that. He managed to pop both of the land speeders in the back as well somehow, i just forget.

After that, he officially conceded, then i proceded to see what Morkdred would have done to that mawlock. With his Seismic hammer, he did 15 wounds to it in one round of combat, completely obliterating it.

And that is the story of how the Tempestas Crusade ends. Complete domination against the foul xenos psycher filth bugs. We recover the armor (perhaps for proper purging), route the swarmlords advance, and save the planet.

Thoughts about the game:

40k atm seems to be about two things: Having a good alpha strike, and a good defense against an alpha strike. Turn 1 can decide a ton, and deployment is uber important. I need to focus on building more of my ruins, as I believe more of those throughout the board would have been beneficial. Once they were all down, I just wanted to keep putting more on, but we had run out. I don't think his list was very great, to be honest, but nor was mine. I feel if he had taken more small guys, he could have overwhelmed me much easier than what ended up happening. Idk what he is going to do when I get my black tide list going! hahaha!

I should have put my Marshal with my devastators so they could get the rerolls. I had the dreadnought there for Wisdom of the Ancients, so the Marshal would have been good somewhere else I think. Honestly, that whole entire half of my army didn't really do much, they just moved up and the game ended before they got anywhere. I will reconsider how these points are spent in the future. This edition is definitely interesting.

Edited by Urkh

The battle played out well for you. You've had an interesting, casual list, too. It looks really fun to play. I feel slightly sorry for the Tyranids, though - the way they performed is something that bothers me about 40K as a game: the balance is off or there isn't much of it in the first place. Your observations regarding the first turn of the game align with my thoughts on that matter. I also completely agree with your last statement - 9th edition is interesting and, at a conceptual level, it has many, many good things going on for it. However, for me, Warhammer 40k fails as a fun game. Paradoxically, this doesn't mean it cannot be play; with the right people, it definitely is a fun experience, it just isn't that much of a fun game.

So, with the chaos-tainted relics restored, where does your crusade move on from there?

@brother kraskor : my 1v1 crusades pretty much always succede. That's why, as you noticed over yonder, I've decided to nerf myself with those psyker xenos filth minis I've been painting, hahaha! My meta just isn't up to my level haha.

@ brother Christopher : Totally with you there about the state of the game. My family and friends that I've played with over the last 8-ish years have had more fun just hanging out during the game than the actual playing. I'm a bit more of a power gamer than they are, so I naturally know more than they do about how the game works just because I am more interested than they are in being competitive. And while I did bring some powerful units in the apothecary/podevastators/van vets, I did bring landspeeders and vindocators as well. I've sworn Iwill never leave home without my landspeeders, and I mean to stick to that hahaha! But like, at one point, my brother had asked why I was measuring around my speeders when I was deploying them. I told him it was a 9" measurement to screen against deepstrikes. I didn't know mawlocks came up just over 1" away instead of 9", but they cannot charge.

Speaking of which, I guess I could have used devout push to get my guys into combat with the mawlock. I would have fought first since there was no charge and it was his turn. You live and you learn.

As for where my crusade goes moving forward? The reorganization into the Lycia Crusade is underway. I have plans for some new HQ units to represent Marshal Hector, Castellan Eliwood, as well as an upcoming Renault, Master of Sanctity. Going to get ready to purge some aliens!

Now that the artifact armors are back aboard The Eternal Crusader (it needs thorough cleansing, which the Tempestas fleet was ill equipped to deal with themselves), Marshal Hector, Promoted after the death of Marshal Urkh, awaits new orders.

So, the main story that has been floating around in my head is that there was a non-insignificantly sized Ork invasion of an imperial planet. We are sent to defend the planet by exterming the foul beasts. We do so, and are making the rounds to clean up any last survivors for a thorough torching by brother Morkdred. We chase some Orks into a cave, and that's when the worst thing happens.

We find out this is a necron tomb world. How did we find out? Because the scarabs are all over the place and the whole thing is starting to power up. So now, what was supposed to be a crusade to destroy Orks, now we face the awakening of the Nab'Atokh Dynasty (named loosly-ish after the Nabata desert). Well, it's another Tuesday boys! Let's get those chainswords revved up and ready to...

PURGE!!!!

Edited by Urkh

• 3 months later...

I wanted to write a bunch of fluff for this transition, but it is getting let for me and I really want to post this. Knowing me, if I don't post this now, I won't be able to post it for another 3 days. I will give you a general idea of where I'm going though, so here we go!

As the cruiser "The Tempestas Crusader" prepares to leave the Lycia system to hunt down the Orks that have fled, Marshal Hector (promoted with the death of Marshal Urkh), sends Castellan Eliwood and two small crusader squads down to Lycia III, where he is to hunt down the last of the Orks that were left behind. While chasing the Orks, something goes horribly wrong...

I present to you, Castellan Eliwood with Durandal (The Blazing Blade)!

gallery_65490_15736_11030.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_13534.jpg

If you don't think he has enough bling, that's because he saves it for his bike:

gallery_65490_15736_11478.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_42509.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_20672.jpg

So far, these are the minis I am most proud in my time doing this. I've been trying hard to up my highlighting game, and I think that, as well as finally basing the minis are really pulling them together and bringing them to the next level. The coolest part is that these are the first painted minis I have that are also MAGNETIZED! they share the same sword arm and banner, and the storm shield arm on the food version is magnetized as well. I do realize that reading the rulebook, both of these configurations would made him a Captain, not a Lieutenant, which is what I envision him as, but at least the foot version can change gear to be Lieutenant. Overall, I am extremely happy with these minis. Let me know what you guys think!

Yes! I thought it would be nice to give this model that relic since in Fire Emblem, he gets Durandal, The Blazing Blade, which the game is named after. ("Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken", or "Fire emblem: The Blasing Blade", even though in America, it was just released as "Fire Emblem"

Edited by Urkh

Thanks Bjorn! When it comes to two handing the sword, while I agree that it would look awesome and make sense since the sword is so large, to stay true to the way Eliwood is portrayed in the game, using only one hand thematically represents him more. If I make a second version of the blade for another person, however, I will definitely do that!

It would be tricky seeing as I chopped a chainsword off of a BT upgrade arm and glued a wraithlord's Ghost Glaive, extending the hilt will be a little tricky. Challenge accepted (for eventual completion!

Cool model, I really like the gold parts turned out. The amount of bling on the bike is appropriately grimdark :D I love the freehand cross on the shoulder pad and the banner. The glowing/burining/magma effect on the blade is also very convincing.

I'm with Bjorn regarding the sword. I understand that you don't want to change the existing model, but should you ever go for it another time, I'd love to see what you come up with. Regardless of the rules (one-handed vs. two-handed), a longer hilt would make the sword more 'realistic', so to speak, and improve the balance - after all, intuition would suggest that a sword this big must've been created for someone or something with larger hands. Eliwood doesn't have to wield the sword in two hands, but it wouldn't hurt to see a longer hilt. If I were you, I'd go at least with a relic blade (Vanguard Vets kit) or the silly Dark Angel blade (from the Ravenwing upgrade kit, I suppose), with the addition of a hobby chain.

And if I may share another idea, with a weapon this big, I'd recommend that you add some kind of enhancement to the arm - like a power cord on the Terminators or the two-handed hammer from the old Death Company kit.

Don't worry about the captain/lieutenant thing, too. Rules come and go, but (cool) models stay with you. Also, I'm sure that you won't regret future-proofing the mini with magnets. Personally, I don't like them - they make the weapons and arms fiddly; however, despite the drawbacks of the solution and nuisance with fixing magnets in place, I've magnetised a fair bit of my forces to be on the safer side of things.

Thanks for the feedback brother Christopher. As I pointed out with Bjorn, I agree that a 2h stance does make more sense, and I WILL do that if I ever make the sword again. As for eliwood with durandal, the sword is magic, and it is huge. When Eliwood weilds it, it gives him the strength to use it with one hand. It even has the power to control his actions and ensure he smites his enemies (in the game, that would be dragons).

I personally love magnets. I haven't had any issues with them at all and just love being able to move the pieces over as it suits me. My only issue is that since, atm, I don't have a lot of pieces magnetized, when I'm switching the sword and banner from foot to bike, the other is incomplete. Maybe I should use this small gripe to make the 2h version of the blade for the foot version... hm... I do have hobby chain, I've just been so nervous to use it. I'll have to look at all my bits when I get home from work.

So, I have a coworker who is going to start playing 40k, and has chosen necrons to be his starting force. I have a command edition starter set, and he is going to buy two recruit starters, give me the space marines, and I'll give him my necrons (including the scorpekh destroyers that he won't get in the recruit pack), as well as the 9th necron codex that I own. My templars and eldar are enough of a time sink for me that I don't have room for that necron army anymore, so I'm not too sad.

However, this means 10 more assault intercessors and some primaris lieutenants coming my way. I have a lot of firstborn still to paint, but maybe some primaris are going to edge their way in my queue. They're still templars, after all. If they do enter the Lycia Crusade, I'm thinking I'll make them fighting company Ostia mostly, under command of Marshal Hector.

Oh! I can story this to have the reason Eliwood is currently in charge is because Hector and his company are going through the Rubicon Primaris, so are unable to fight until the process is complete. The process will finish at the most dire time, and they'll come in and save the day. (Planning Marshal Hector as a Gravis boy. Ostia is big and beefy.)

Sorry, I forgot to come back and reply to you medj! I actually do happen to have two VV packs i recently picked up that I am planning on magnetizing the jump packs on. I can easily just put magnets on the back of of them and do that, haha! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Painting progress is slow as always. However, last night, in the whee hours of the morn, fueled by zeal, I completed a new Emperor's champion. My first emperor's champion was one of my original minis, and he has since had his sword break, and the paint job isn't very good at all. I tried to rescue the paint job at least, but the thickness of the paint ruined so much detail. I decided to just get a new one that wasn't also broken.

So with that, I bring to you Emperor's Champion Karel!

gallery_65490_15736_692731.jpg

gallery_65490_15736_453763.jpg

gallery_65490_15736_818812.jpg

gallery_65490_15736_127365.jpg

In Fire Emblem 7, Karel is a character you don't always get. His class is swordmaster, and he wanders the world looking for the best fighters, challenges them, and them kills them. His blood boils when he sees skilled fighters. I figured no better character could be chosen for an Emperor's champion!

• 3 months later...

Ok, so while working in my vow, and making slow progress (as always, but I never fail!) I had some inspiration and kit bashed a turret that can turn a razorback into a predator annihilator. I asked my normal opponents and they all said they were cool with it, so hopefully I'll get this thing painted and maybe on a table!

gallery_65490_16360_799218.jpeg

On another note, I got a box of sword brethren and the chonky castellan, for Xmas, so yay!

Edited by Urkh