The Lycia Crusade: The High Marshal complete!

Urkh

Ok, I've been working hard and completed the marshal for my vow!

gallery_65490_15736_213996.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_613867.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_148510.jpg

So for him, I got the sergeant castus kit with my order when I bought the black templars box along with another kit. I thought, "why did they waste this base on a sergeant!? Heresy!!!" So I decided to put it to good use and put the marshal on there. That's just a crusade squad helm on him instead of his normal head options.

This mini was a blast to paint and see come together. It is the first time I've done red on the inside of the cape. I am hoping for this mini to evolve into what will become Marshal Hector. I'm thinking of making a special axe for him.

As a bonus, both his weapons are magnetized, and he is even magnetized to the base! I can take him off and put him on a smaller base (since he did come with one) and when I chose to run him as a chapter master or Hector, he can be on that.base.

Thanks guys! We can thank Squidmar and his videos for the quality of the highlights. His tutorial videos on lighting really shook my world, and I've been working on getting it right. I've found that doing it with the black armor is super important. I feel there's so much volume my minis before were lacking, that now is coming out with me expanding my highlights. The same is true with the eldar I am painting. Getting this guy done and seeing the finished results makes me excited to see how the quality of paint the Lycia Crusade is going to get over the next X many years!

@Reinhard: oh if only you knew my plans for what I am going to do with second black templars Marshal I got in the combat patrol!

Edited by Urkh

Amazing work on both new additions - the Devastator Squad was clearly painted with a lot of passion: the attention to all the little details that you chose to paint in all the different colours is something else and the Marshal is a great centrepiece. I think that you can and should be really proud of your work.

Thank you guys! I will use your words of encouragement to fuel me to complete my vow on time. I'm 85% with my chaplain, and 40% done with the terminator squad. Still have to start the redemptor. Planning on the termies and chappy being done on monday, giving me a whole week to do just the redemptor. However, I may need to go to gws to get more stirland battlemire.

@brother christopher: when it comes to color, I have always been a proponent of using colors to show our detail, vs highlights. If you look at the gws studio templar pics in our 4th dex, it almost looks like they just painted them black, highlighted, and called it a day. I mean, sure, it's still 'eavy metal, but I want my guys to POP!

As the end of knightfall approaches, my painting is rushing to get minis finished. Zeal and faith to be replenished by a chaplain...

Chaplain Lucius!

gallery_65490_15736_325478.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_258191.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_133532.jpeg

Chaplain Lucius is completed for the purposes of the knightfall event, due to time. Extra bits to make him a bit more awesome will be added after the event. I should also try and make crusader squad raven.

On another note...

Not to be outdone by Brother Christopher, I also have two teeminators!

gallery_65490_15736_342214.jpeg

@brother christopher: when it comes to color, I have always been a proponent of using colors to show our detail, vs highlights. If you look at the gws studio templar pics in our 4th dex, it almost looks like they just painted them black, highlighted, and called it a day. I mean, sure, it's still 'eavy metal, but I want my guys to POP!

You're absolutely right. On top of what you said about aesthetics, applying colour to different small details/panels/parts is a great way to keep yourself entertained while working on the sea of blacks :wink:

As the end of knightfall approaches, my painting is rushing to get minis finished. Zeal and faith to be replenished by a chaplain...

Chaplain Lucius!

gallery_65490_15736_325478.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_258191.jpeg

gallery_65490_15736_133532.jpeg

Chaplain Lucius is completed for the purposes of the knightfall event, due to time. Extra bits to make him a bit more awesome will be added after the event. I should also try and make crusader squad raven.

On another note...

Not to be outdone by Brother Christopher, I also have two teeminators!

Excellent! Personally, I'm not a fan of the Chaplain's helmet, but it doesn't detract from the overall quality. I also really like the dusty boots and greaves, you absolutely nailed the white on the Termies' helmets and -- what appears to be -- NMM shine on black metal.

Your work is both inspirational and discouraging (in the best and paradoxical sense) since your output makes me want to up my painting game... something which I mustn't do considering my backlog and time restrictions.

Edited by Brother Cristopher

Thank you everyone!

@brother christopher: the helmet is stolen from a reiver set, so that's probably why you don't like it, haha. As for my output, at least quantity wise, do not try and replicate what I am doing. I am stay up way too late trying to rush to get these guys done for knightfall. I've never failed a vow, and I am not going to start here! ZEAL! As for quality, both of us do different things better. I really enjoy seeing how you decorate your guy's armor. I am very focused on technical stuff right now, trying to learn new techniques, so my mind doesn't think about jazzy stuff outside of painting some script or a cross on a kneepad. Those checkered skulls, patterned parchment, and cape details you do are astounding, and it will be a while before I try stuff like that. I only even just ventured into putting red on the inside of a cape! So don't sell yourself short!

As for the terminator helms, corax white the whole thing, nuln oil the whole thing, ulthuan grey as a layer, white scar as a highlight. For the armor, I just watched some of squidmar's videos on how light reflects on surfaces, and power armor has a lot of cylinders, so now I am painting lots of cylindrical highlights!

Edited by Urkh