Custom DIY rules

CCE1981

From this video review (https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/cogen1/mob_rules_presents_the_full_space_marine_codex/)

Bolter Fusilade: Reroll 1s to hit for Bolt weapons.

Born Heroes: Characters can HI 6"

Duellists: Melee attacks vs Infantry/Bikers score auto wounds on 6s to hit (can't be combined with Whirlwind of Rage Tactic)

Fearsome Aspect: -1 Ld for enemy units within 3" of units with this tactic

Hungry For Battle: +1 to Advance and Charge rolls

Indomitable: Can only lose 1 model to Morale

Inheritors of the Primarch: Choose a First Founding Chapter Tactic instead of two Successor Tactics

Knowledge Is Power: Reroll one/both 1s when making Psychic/Deny tests

Long-range Marksmen: +3" to ranged weapons

Master Artisans: When Overwatching, shooting, or fighting, reroll a single hit and a single wound roll per unit, each time.

Preferred Enemy: Choose (Tyranids, Aeldari, Orks, Heretic Astartes, Necrons or T'au) - reroll melee to hit if you charge/get charged/intervene.

Rapid Assault: No penalty to Advance and shoot Assault weapons

Scions of the Forge: Damage table models have double wounds remaining for the row you use

Stalwart: Unmodified wounds of 1 and 2 auto fail against you

Stealthy: Get the benefit of cover against models more than 12" away

Stoic: +1 Ld

Tactical Withdrawal: Charge after Falling Back

Warded: 5+ FNP vs Mortal Wounds

Whirlwind of Rage: Unmodified 6 to hit with melee when you charge/get charged/intervene, get an extra hit (can't be combined with Duellists tactic)

Long Range Marksmen and Rapid Assault would be my choice. Running the Assault Bolt Rifle, letting it be almost the same range as a regular but always getting 2 shots without penalty.
3 shots ;)

I'll be using them.

For a shooty, vehicle heavy Chapter (i.e. lots of Predators, Stormravens, Razorbacks, Leviathan Dreadnoughts, etc.), I think the "Scions of the Forge" and "Stealthy" traits would combine very well, giving you basically 2+ armor save tanks outside of 12" that also maintain their full Mobility and Ballistic Skill until they are almost entirely destroyed.

So Space Sharks (because I can't spell their cooler c name) would be... fearsome aspect and whirlwind of rage?

While awesome, I'm probably going to stick with Crimson Fists for my Primaris army, the exploding shots on the Bolter 6s is cool.

And if I have to have my Primaris Captain Cortez with a plasma pistol instead of a bolt pistol *sigh* so be it.

Edited by Trevak Dal

I have a question for those of you who have actually played 8th (I STILL haven't):

Would mixing Stalwart and Warded be any good?

That kind of Chapter Tactic would depend on your local meta: if you're facing a lot of Mortal Wound output (Thousand Sons, for example) then Warded could be worthwhile. Similar for Stalwart; are you facing a lot of weapons/armies that are wounding your models on 2+ (eg, Deathwatch Hellfire SIA, or lots of S8+ weapons)? If yes, then might be worth it.

Generally, however, I don't personally feel that Stalwart and Warded would be a good combination. Stalwart, in particular, doesn't seem very useful as Marines tend to get drowned in things wounding on 4s or 3s, rather than on 2s.

Thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate the explanation. Back to the drawing board!

I mean, my advice is from my own experiences, but I would at least give it a try out! It might not always be useful, but you might find it useful when it does apply.

Why would anyone use inheritors of the primarch over just using that chapters rules completely?

Because reasons? I would assume that anyone who doesn't have an actual First Founding Chapter is locked out from using those rules directly; eg, not being painted as Ultramarines means you're not an Ultramarine, and would have to go by the Successor rules, which precludes using the UM specific Relics (outside of the Stratagem).

Really, there's not much that Successors miss out on now, which is good - it's pretty much just full access to First Founding specific Relics, and special characters/units.

About the only thing you would lose out on would be the special characters. And they are neat and all, but really only the Ultras change the gameplay adequately enough to consider so unless you just LOVE Vulkan Hestan with your army's colors on him, or purple Shrike (who should have a chapter Masters statline...)

Long Range Marksmen and Rapid Assault would be my choice. Running the Assault Bolt Rifle, letting it be almost the same range as a regular but always getting 2 shots without penalty.

This is my plan for my Chapter too. Starting the game with 3 Invictus warsuits in concealed positions with 15 inches of 6D6 S5 -2 auto hits and supported by 3 Incursor squads keeping the enemy busy is going to be fun whilst advancing auto bolt rifle Intercessors and auto boltstorm Aggressors up the field (unless I don't get first turn. In which case they'll probably die).

Edited by Knightsword

So for my unknown founding chapter (Minotaurs), I pick the two traits that I feel like suit them best, let's say Whirlwind of Rage and Tactical Withdrawal/Hungry for Battle/Master Artisans. After that I can pick their lineage for purposes of strategems/warlord traits/and supplement books (White Scars), so long as I didn't try to combine for example Iron Hands Inheritors of the Primarch with a different lineage. Do I have that right? Edited by zero88

This is my plan for my Chapter too. Starting the game with 3 Invictus warsuits in concealed positions with 15 inches of 6D6 S5 -2 auto hits and supported by 3 Incursor squads keeping the enemy busy is going to be fun whilst advancing auto bolt rifle Intercessors and auto boltstorm Aggressors up the field (unless I don't get first turn. In which case they'll probably die).

I want to say thank you. I actually like the Invictus and am going to see if he can work optimally without Phobos support. I want him to Infiltrate next to my Aggressors who will Strike from the Shadows (and some Captain, Chaplain, or Librarian as support) to make a strong T1 push into the midfield objectives as my first layer. Second layer Hellblasters pulling up from the Deployment zone and rapid firing T2 with Intercessors hoofing it from behind to grab the objective. 

Even if he's just a gun magnet thats shots not going into my Aggressors in early turn(s).