"Sleeper" rules/abilities from the UM Supplement

L30n1d4s

Something I put up in the tactica section but no-one has noticed.

I believe you can have a Librarian with -2 to hit him and -1 to wound him.

Phobos Librarian with precognition, stealth adept and ghostweave mantle. Have him run around cover and he has enough modifiers to make alaitoc eldar blush!

With regards to the Master Crafted Special Issue Wargear: it does not give AP-1 on its own, it only gives +1D.

That said, I would assume that you were benefiting from Tactical Doctrine anyway...but just to be clear :teehee:

Yep, tactical doctrine for the improved AP and double shots. Edited by Guiltysparc

Chronus' Vehicle is an oddity. It gains the Character keyword, so would be eligible to get its own Warlord Trait, regardless of whether Chronus has/is given one.

I think the safest bet would be to use Hero of the Chapter to give Chronus' ride a Warlord Trait, rather than giving Chronus one. The Vehicle can't have a Relic (as stated in every Relic section) but Warlord Traits are not exempt.

If someone tries to tell you the vehicle doesn't gain the Character keyword they are using battlescribe as gospel, which says the vehicle is treated as having it's original keywords only. The Ultramarine supplement clearly adds character and Chronus keywords to the vehicle.

Figured I would add that little tidbit because someone will try to fact check with the wrong information.

Chronus' Vehicle is an oddity. It gains the Character keyword, so would be eligible to get its own Warlord Trait, regardless of whether Chronus has/is given one.

I think the safest bet would be to use Hero of the Chapter to give Chronus' ride a Warlord Trait, rather than giving Chronus one. The Vehicle can't have a Relic (as stated in every Relic section) but Warlord Traits are not exempt.

If someone tries to tell you the vehicle doesn't gain the Character keyword they are using battlescribe as gospel, which says the vehicle is treated as having it's original keywords only. The Ultramarine supplement clearly adds character and Chronus keywords to the vehicle.

Figured I would add that little tidbit because someone will try to fact check with the wrong information.

There's clearly no substitute for having the actual rulebook.

There's clearly no substitute for having the actual rulebook.

Well so much for the Chronus idea, the new FAQ gave him Calm Under Fire for a warlord trait, making this strat dead and buried, and you can't apply the second warlord trait strat to a named character which can't take an extra trait.

But at least he can still pilot a Scorpius. The mortal wound Warlord trait loss is a good balance, but it also saves a CP.

FAQ was great for fixing the problem with fly too. Glad GW were so fast to address it.

Edited by Ishagu

Remains to be seen how tournaments will handle Index items vs this new Legends rules. I am hoping for the most part folk don't mind us continuing to take Index items.

I hate to be a downer, but *strongly* suspect that "No Legends" will become the competitive norm. Since GW clearly stated that their datasheets will get no further support, closing the door on Legends will prevent any unintentional interactions or obsolete points values causing an issue.

So I just played five games with my Ultras last weekend and used the Vengeance of Ultramar relic storm bolter on a captain on bike. I also had the Paragon of War warlord trait on him. With the bike he has 12 shots, getting to reroll wounds with 8 shots against anything except vehicles, 6's causing mortal wounds. He was a beast, dishing out 4-5 mortal wounds every time plus the normal wounds from the bolter shots. Funny enough with the wound rerolls, the relic is more effective against targets you wound on a 5+ than if you wound on a 4+. 

Finally a viable and effective alternative instead of the standard boring melee captain :)

Personally, not given that relic a shot yet however I am intending to deploy it in less of a fully built machine for it and more just an add on, having a librarian going to run around with it just be a further pain.

Though I can see the popularity of the Dakka Captain. Now if only the phobos traits weren't complete garbo because they only go on phobos...imagine if you could give him marksmen honour XD

That being said though, what new captains are running around now? I mean we still have good ol' Captain Smash but now I see two others.

Captain Dakka, though he is ultramarine specific, not sure what white scars could do for that load out

Captain Bash, Just a bog standard captain with jump pack and bolt pistol but you hand him the teeth of terra, imperiums sword and let him loose. Cheap and Cheerful fire 'n' forget missile. Again this captain is notable just because of how cheap he is for effect. (this captain on the charge has his 4 base attacks, +3 from teeth, +1 from shock, +1 from trait giving him 9 attacks at strength 6 I believe, AP1 and D2).

Agreed - a Biker Captain might be on the cards for me too - so many shots! Think I'll be stealing that build!

I'm finding my Chapter Champion is incredibly dangerous in close combat. Solo'ing entire squads of even Intercessors!

As for Captain builds, the Teeth of Terra makes for a cheap but effective build. Stack with The Imperium's Sword and you'll be feared by Ork mobz and Custodes alike.

Edited by Captain Idaho

@Shash Oh Dear, that's a good point, I didn't notice at all.

Another relic I was testing was the Seal of Oath. I gave it to the techmarine gunner of a TFC and parked three Whirlwinds next to the TFC. Combined with Devastator doctrine it was a really effective way to remove a strong target, making the Whirlwinds' vengeance launchers -2 ap. 

Their kill list:

First game, a Voidraven bomber in one round of shooting.

Second game, a chaos knight Despoiler in two rounds of shooting. Then he used 3CP to resurrect the knight... Telion killed it the second time :D

Third game, a Riptide in two rounds of shooting because of the damn drones, killed 14 drones in the first turn.

Fourth game, 9 Kataphron breachers out of a unit of 11 and they were in cover.

Fifth game, chaos knights again, two rounds of shooting with one Whirlwind shooting again with the Suppression Fire stratagem.

The Whirlwinds and TFC killed plenty of other stuff too, but these were the Seal of Oath targets I picked. Personally I think the Seal of Oath is a must have relic, but it needs more testing to perhaps find some better combo than Whirlwinds, although they are pretty cheap and ignore LOS.

Agreed - a Biker Captain might be on the cards for me too - so many shots! Think I'll be stealing that build!

I'm finding my Chapter Champion is incredibly dangerous in close combat. Solo'ing entire squads of even Intercessors!

As for Captain builds, the Teeth of Terra makes for a cheap but effective build. Stack with The Imperium's Sword and you'll be feared by Ork mobz and Custodes alike.

May i ask you this champion build? Im curious

Chapter Champion - The Burning Blade, Warlord Trait: The Imperium's Sword

On the charge (re-rollable) this character gets 7 S8 attacks at AP-5 and D2, plus of course his Champion's Blade attack. He has a 2+ armour save already which amounts to a 5+ save against most power weapons at worse.