Crimson Fists rules status post-codex

So with the new codex (I have it right next to me) and the errata etc from GW out today what do we think is the current status of the Crimson Fists rules.

I think where we are is :

Chapter Tactics 

In the new codex so that is the version we use from now onwards.

Pedro Kantor

Mild update in the document at https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/warhammer_40000_space_marines_character_datasheets_en.pdf

That is now the most recent version of his rules so we use those from now onwards

Warlord Traits

I see nothing in the codex and nothing in the errata. I think the WD article is still the most recent set of rules for these so we continue to use these until we get our chapter book.

Stratagems

Again I see nothing in the codex and nothing in the errata. So the WD article remains the most recent set of rules for us to use until we get our chapter book.

Relics

Nothing in the codex or the errata. The WD article remains the most recent so we can still use the Fist of Vengeance.

Does that seem like an accurate summary of where we are? At least for the next few weeks/months until we get updates in a chapter book (or possibly even CA19 I suppose).

Edited by Happy-inquisitor

The Crimson Fists are in a really strong position. Based off the chapter tactic, you want to run MSU as much as possible. Also, Pedro is one of the best chapter masters in the game right now. Drop pod him in with 5-man melta or just him and deep strike in primaris. He makes Primaris within 6" have four attacks each base in the assault phase. He is crazy good. Really hope he gets a primaris update when the Imperial Fist supplement drops.

Edited by Aothaine

The Crimson Fists are in a really strong position. Based off the chapter tactic, you want to run MSU as much as possible. Also, Pedro is one of the best chapter masters in the game right now. Drop pod him in with 5-man melta or just him and deep strike in primaris. He makes Primaris within 6" have four attacks each base in the assault phase. He is crazy good. Really hope he get a primaris update when the Imperial Fist supplement drops.

Pedro is suffering from not having his Chapter Master rule wording updated. Relative to what you get from the stratagem his is quite a lot worse. That is a shame but I am happy with my generic HQ for now and will upgrade my Captain to Chapter Master pretty much every game because the improved rerolls are that good.

More generally I agree, Crimson Fists are in a really good place right now. In the long term I suspect the Imperial Fists will get more nice things than Crimson Fists but that is OK.

Pedro is suffering from not having his Chapter Master rule wording updated. Relative to what you get from the stratagem his is quite a lot worse. That is a shame but I am happy with my generic HQ for now and will upgrade my Captain to Chapter Master pretty much every game because the improved rerolls are that good.

More generally I agree, Crimson Fists are in a really good place right now. In the long term I suspect the Imperial Fists will get more nice things than Crimson Fists but that is OK.

Ohhh my gosh! I was wrong entirely lol! I was confusing him with He'Stan for the melta rerolls. I'm looking at Kantor now and I'm not sure what you mean by having his chapter master rules updated. He is a chapter master according to the info you linked. And he gives everyone +1 attack in a 6" bubble. Dude is a boss. What am I missing here?

An update here. I would drop him in with vets with stormbolters and stormshields to camp an objective while you have other hard hitting units coming up the board. Bolter Aggressors and Reivers would work really good with him imho.

Edited by Aothaine

Ohhh my gosh! I was wrong entirely lol! I was confusing him with He'Stan for the melta rerolls. I'm looking at Kantor now and I'm not sure what you mean by having his chapter master rules updated. He is a chapter master according to the info you linked. And he gives everyone +1 attack in a 6" bubble. Dude is a boss. What am I missing here?

An update here. I would drop him in with vets with stormbolters and stormshields to camp an objective while you have other hard hitting units coming up the board. Bolter Aggressors and Reivers would work really good with him imho.

Many of the new Chapter Master rules, from the Ultramarine supplement or the Stratagem that upgrades a Captain, allows you to reroll hits.

Pedro's aura specifically says failed hits.

There's a very subtle but powerful difference here.

Many of the new Chapter Master rules, from the Ultramarine supplement or the Stratagem that upgrades a Captain, allows you to reroll hits.

Pedro's aura specifically says failed hits.

There's a very subtle but powerful difference here.

Exactly this - and the revised rerolls are much better when we look at modifiers.

With negative modifiers we can reroll knowing what the modifier will be - so we get to reroll results that will miss after modifiers. That makes dealing with Eldar flyers a lot less frustrating and all those power fists I intend taking on sargents will be a lot better - they will be hitting 75% of the time with rerolls.

With positive modifiers we have a combo with Bolter Drill which works off rolls of 6+. If you can manipulate a +2 to hit for example then on the initial roll you should reroll all results of 1-3 in order to maximise the number of 4+ you get for additional rolls. Combined with the chapter tactic of additional hits on a natural 6 you can get to averaging twice as many hits as you had shots. It is still only bolters but it is pretty sweet.