New Squad type - Hellfuries?

On a different note, the allusion to an existing different unit, that isn't described or has a datasheet, but is probably likely to get a release, is a little groanworthy in that we JUST got a 2nd SM codex for this same edition... and it itself is potentially heralding its own incompleteness here.

Well, we know the line's nowhere near complete. Summer 2017 was basically a core release that gave us the essentials and now two years later we just got the Vanguard release which was only intended to fill out the lower-end scout equivalent units (the Executioner was an outlier which may very well have just gotten the green light due to the opportunity to sync it with the Apocalypse release and to fill a need that the Vanguard range wouldn't be addressing).

And I wouldn't even bet on that sub-range being totally filled, as I could see them coming back and producing a Scout Bike Squad equivalent once they introduce the Hover Bike or whatever. Not to mention there's little doubt we'll get a proper multi-part Suppressor kit at some point and when we do it'll likely have another main weapon option that's not on the current datasheet.

I believe it was Jes Goodwin who mentioned they have the first five years of the Primaris range planned out, so there's still a LOT of stuff headed our way. Yes, it may mean we have a newer codex in a year or two (whenever the next expansion sub-range drops), but at the same time it's possible they'll offer free datasheets on all the new units as they just did with the Vanguard range.

Edited by Lord Nord

perhaps its the alternate build for the "suppressors"? Either Flamer or Plasma?

can someone confirm this? saw it on reddit

There is a piece of special-issue wargear called "Hellfury Bolts".

"Bolt rounds impregnated with reservoirs of bio-reactive acids".

Nope. I'm not talking about those.

Page 75 of the Ultramarines Codex. Hellfury bolts.

Edited by Triszin

A Primaris Scout is just a normal scout, per Jes and Wade’s conversation.

Needs a new unit representation though. Unless Primaris scout squads are led by classic marine sergeants.
They go Scout -> Vanguard (once the carapace is in). So 10th company Vanguard are still trainees, just ones further down the path from regular scouts. I suspect at some point the classic scout is going to be dropped as a battlefield unit though.

I don't think they're going to be a straight up different weapon version of the supressors or any other unit -- no other units have a totally different name just because they have a different weapon (maybe infiltrator/incursor, but they have a lot of other differences).

Remember back when we first saw the Shadowspear artwork and thought there was an Onslaught cannon-toting marine? On top of a "hot" weapon (flame/plas/melta), I'd love to actually see a good brrrrrrrrttttttt squad like that to match the chaincannon havocs. I could see a squad of bullet-spraying marines earning the title "-furies"

Needs a new unit representation though. Unless Primaris scout squads are led by classic marine sergeants.
They go Scout -> Vanguard (once the carapace is in). So 10th company Vanguard are still trainees, just ones further down the path from regular scouts. I suspect at some point the classic scout is going to be dropped as a battlefield unit though.

Scout sergeants are still a full experienced marine who is an instructor, so if it’s a unit of Primaris scouts then either they are led by standard sergeants, or they are lead by Primaris sergeants and need a new unit profile.

On a different note, the allusion to an existing different unit, that isn't described or has a datasheet, but is probably likely to get a release, is a little groanworthy in that we JUST got a 2nd SM codex for this same edition... and it itself is potentially heralding its own incompleteness here.

My brother described the new marine codex as one that was wrote because someone at GW realized that the flagship codex was broken and wanted it fixed ASAP. In other words the Chaos book was a version 2 and this was a needed rework.   

Scout sergeants are still a full experienced marine who is an instructor, so if it’s a unit of Primaris scouts then either they are led by standard sergeants, or they are lead by Primaris sergeants and need a new unit profile.

The difference can be hand-waved that wearing carapace armour renders them roughly equivalent. They're still S4 T4 underneath the power armour, and Primaris are only at full advantage in their own more advanced suits.

Scouts won't be around for long, I suspect, although I am sad to say it. My metal scouts are almost as old as me. I wonder if I'll get away with proxying them for something in future...

@ fulkes

Ive entered a squad of tiny termies for the etl. And scouts are scouts. The older models are just younger and therefore smaller.

You haven't heard of "count-as"? Sniper scouts as Eliminators for example?

Remember back when we first saw the Shadowspear artwork and thought there was an Onslaught cannon-toting marine?

I am still puzzled how some people could take what was clearly a bolter (with traditional under-barrel grip hold, too) held by a marine with troop markings on his shoulder instantly killing any notion of it being some sort of fire support unit, complete with muzzle flash identical to bolter plastered right on the center of the box, and think it was a gatling somehow. Funnily enough, there was a real gatling next to it (on obliterator) looking nowhere near similar to it - and maybe that's why no one actually called it a gatling at the time :teehee:

My brother described the new marine codex as one that was wrote because someone at GW realized that the flagship codex was broken and wanted it fixed ASAP. In other words the Chaos book was a version 2 and this was a needed rework.

I can agree to that. Mixed Chaos is one of the best factions out there and Pure Heretic Astartes isnt terrible, Chaos Demons have strong showings pure TS and DG are a little weak, but pure Space Marines were just garbage. Too bad it seems BA, DA, SW are being left behind and of course Grey Knights just continue to pay for 5th edition.

They go Scout -> Vanguard -> Fire Support -> Close Support -> Battleline Reserve -> Battlecompany -> Veteran.

Nothing says that they are still trainees as Vanguards and aren't afterwards. Either they stop being trainees once they enter the Vanguard or they are trainees all the way until they join a Battlecompany.

I think GW is likely following a similar pattern with Primaris Astartes releases that it did, quite successfully, for Stormcast Eternals from Age of Sigmar, first releasing their "main line" of models and characters, with follow-one "waves" of different kinds of releases:

1)  Long-ranged fire support/stealthy/mobile/recon type forces (i.e. Vanguard Chamber for Stormcast Eternals, Vanguard/Phobos Primaris units for Astartes)

2) Heavy shock assault/cavalry forces (i.e. Extremis Chamber for Stormcast Eternals, probably Repulsor Bikes and/or Primaris Close Combat oriented troops for Astartes, maybe tied to the release of the new Dark Angels Book and, more specifically, new Primaris Ravenwing)

3) Elite Magic/Casting Support forces (i.e. Sacrosanct Chamber for Stormcast Eternals, perhaps a release of Primaris Grey Knight models in conjunction with a new GK book)

... I'd love to actually see a good brrrrrrrrttttttt squad like that to match the chaincannon havocs...

We have Inceptors to deal with them? Even with their t5 they're still wounded on 4+, a 6 marine anti havoc Inceptor unit w/ assault bolters could probably wipe them that spend the rest of the game removing cultists 1 unit at a time.

My hope is a hellblaster squad equivalent with heavy flamers. Remember the pic from Warhammer community with the hand flamer we still don't get a model for? This could be that as the hellblaster sergeant may have a plasma pistol.

You could do that. But a lot of Primaris fans have conniptions when faced with having smaller scaled marines in their armies :lol:

In the worst ways self admittedly.

I sure hope this is a long range Gravis unit. Rocking plasma? Assault Cannons? Have no clue.

Guest MistaGav

... I'd love to actually see a good brrrrrrrrttttttt squad like that to match the chaincannon havocs...

We have Inceptors to deal with them? Even with their t5 they're still wounded on 4+, a 6 marine anti havoc Inceptor unit w/ assault bolters could probably wipe them that spend the rest of the game removing cultists 1 unit at a time.

I don't think he means a unit that can deal with Havocs but rather a unit that is like Havocs with full dakka guns. Inceptors are good and cool but suppressors with a chaincannon would be awesome!

I don't think he means a unit that can deal with Havocs but rather a unit that is like Havocs with full dakka guns. Inceptors are good and cool but suppressors with a chaincannon would be awesome!

Well he might have interpreted it wrong but he does have a point. Bolter Inceptors do have T5 and 6 S5 AP-1 D1 shots just like Chaincannon Havocs. ^^