Wispy's Blackmanes - 22/07/05

Wispy

thanks!

been doing a bunch of different things. decided to work through the rest of my Tooth and Claw minis before starting the Reivers - One Agressor to go. Will probably be able to show the whole the crew next weekend.

In the meantime, I excitedly grabbed the new Phobos Lieutenant mini this weekend and earnestly began rescuing him from the bland existence of a codex marine. 

GbDtryu.jpg

bnFBrH2.jpg

NiZbHUp.jpg

a second shout out to FearPeteySodes (who i shouted out once before at another 40k community) - i tried the fur sculpting technique he described over in his thread and it's the best results i have ever gotten trying to sculpt fur. Unfortunately, most of it's hidden! I planned the mini so the pelt so if i screwed up i could hide most of it behind the backpack, with the bottom part of the pelt i got from the Wulfen leader doing most of the work.

Hahaha I saw that this morning was was like this looks like Wispys reivers. I didn’t put it together, derp.

Looks great though dude. I really dig the axe minus the wolf bit, probably going to yoink that idea. :smile.:

thanks man. i was planning on replacing the wolf bit with a wolf skull, but by the time i cleaned it off, i was like "Crap, it looks good just as it is." sometimes less is more.

great idea wispy!

I was thinking about doing the same thing

honestly it was your conversion of the shadowspear LT that kicked this all off.

I really wish gw would sell those heads and weapons separately. I would buy like a dozen of those kits for my primaris

Looks great Wispy, definitely think you have found the sweet spot for making these Phobos-armored Primaris fit into the Wolves!

(And hats off to Triszin for providing the idea - between the two of you, I think you've started a trend - really wish they would sell the head and single-handed axes separately as well)

unfortunately, as much as i'd love to have a millions of those helmets kicking around, i think it's probably better to try to have some variety with the deathsworn mask just being one of a few kinds my vanguard/phobos will use.   i wanted it to be special for the reivers only (and even so i only did 3 of the reivers with it, mixing in grey slayer hoods). 

i will actually probably be a little more stock when it comes to phobos head and helmet choices going forward, with me going crazy-wolf in different ways for the different units. the important thing i want to emphasise for my vanguard is they be cold and scary.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a great adjustment to the model, and the balanced Wolf-ing really seals it along the dynamic movement!

Now I have to know - what did you use to make the gem? Did you trim down the little dangling belt thing that is on the upgrade sprue?

yep. the primaris upgrade sprue has two dangling ones on it, and you can just snip them off.

• 4 weeks later...

Plowing through my backlog, I finished my Reivers.  Behold, the Dreadeye and his Five Fangs!

Opak6Ip.jpg

I picked up the Space Marine half of Shadowspear and will be working on some Infiltrators next. I am doing a charity tournament next month on the 24th of November (lol, doing this hobby for 11 years and my 1st tourney), so I have to crunch it to finish all 5 in the next 3 weeks. I don't have a hope of being competitive but hopefully i can dazzle with a well painted force.