Assault cannon razorback

Mcha0s92

I really like razorbacks with the new doctrines but i always struggle with the range of the assault cannon and the -1 to hit if i have to move them during the devastator doctrine, do you think they are worth the points? Do you load them with some units or leave them empty?

I really like razorbacks with the new doctrines but i always struggle with the range of the assault cannon and the -1 to hit if i have to move them during the devastator doctrine, do you think they are worth the points? Do you load them with some units or leave them empty?

AC Razorbacks are solid workhorses. I used them a lot when I was running Space Wolves, where the chainswords on the Grey Hunters were pretty much analogues to the current Tactical Marines plus Shock Assault (ie, 2A pretty much all of the time; and that is important).

Devastator Doctrine is big for helping them be useful, as AP-2 is brilliant for them. Moving and shooting should be fine; even more so if you are packing a Chapter Master (Named/Stratagem, either way) since they'll still get a 75% hit rate.

I think they'll really shine under Ultramarines/Successors where Scions of Guilliman will let them move around (and with their 12" Move on top bracket they're nippy!) and still hose things down with aplomb! 

I definitely feel that giving them a basic unit inside is worthwhile. Even five Tactical Marines, Sergeant with Storm Bolter/Chainsword (only 62pts) is a solid little unit now; that's 12 Bolter shots (which are AP-1 once Tactical Doctrine kicks in) and then a follow up 14 4/0/1 attacks on the charge. Combined with the AC Razorback itself, that 176pt package will do a number on lots of infantry/horde units: use the Razorback to screen the Tactical Marines from return fire (even more effective if you're running multiple 'sets') and it's a decent assault force.

As I mentioned above, I ran similar with Space Wolves a while ago, and that was two AC Razorbacks and two Rhinos with six units of five Grey Hunters. The same loadout of Tactical Marines would do very much the same with any other Chapter now, thanks to Shock Assault (and Grey Hunters are better!) but with the various Chapter Tactics and, especially, the Doctrinal bonuses each Chapter has (or at least, will get) it'll be great.

Personally, I'm generally building an army around a core of three AC Razorbacks and three five man Tactical Squads for a standard Battalion. More pricey than say a Scout Battalion, but it packs in firepower and some supporting firepower/punch if/when the Razorbacks get threatened.