Stalker Pattern Bolt Rifles.

Bukimimaru

I'm a bit puzzled at what exactly a Stalker Pattern Bolt Rifle is supposed to look like.

The new codex is of no help, and even online sources are vague.

After reading the new codex, it seems like the best choice for intercessors is to give them all Stalker Pattern Bolters as, the new Bolter Disciplines combined with the turn 1 devastator Docterine means our basic troops get 2x 36" S4, AP-3, 2 damage shots each. 

As far as I can see, that's our best option over the standard and auto versions (please let me know if I'm way off, I've not played in a long time) but my concern is that my models are all built with (what I assume) are the standard bolt rifles from the Dark Imperium set.

Do I have to model my guns differently? My gaming group are all pretty chill about WYSIWYG rules, so I don't think they would mind, but I do plan on joining some local tournaments and I don't want it to be an issue.

TLDR: Stalker Pattern Bolters - are they are good as I think and how should I model them?

The only distinction between the Bolt Rifle and the Stalker version, in model terms, is that Stalkers have a slightly bigger scope and a slightly smaller, squarer ammo magazine:

gallery_84244_11417_684.jpg

To be honest, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference at a glance on the tabletop anyway, so I wouldn't stress about it. That said, if you do decide to edit your models then the Stalker bits shown above are easy to come by on bits sites and eBay.

Edited by Halandaar

Thanks guys, I think I'll be sticking to regular Bolt Rifles after all. :)

Consider the autos if you want tons of mobility. An extra shot is almost always better than one extra point of AP.

Yeah, and there's a stratagem which lets Auto Bolt Rifles hit automatically under half range which is very tasty.

The stratagem to make them auto hit is expensive, 1CP to make the detachment Indomitus Crusaders, 1CP to make a unit of Intercessors "veterans" then 1CP for the Bolt Storm stratagem. Yes they auto hit but for 3CP is it worth it?

I've got a game coming up tonight, my first in a very long time, and I'm going to stick 5 Stalker pattern guys high up on a backfield objective with a Phobos captain and the Marksman's Honour trait. They will be my sniper stand ins until  I can get my hands on some Eliminators (my new favourite unit in the dex).

I'll also run 2 squads of regular Bolt rifle guys for mid-field troops.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

An odd question, has anybody magnetized their intecessors' bolt rifles? And how?

Theoretically just some tiny magnets should work fine, as the sections just slot into place. Idk of I’d bother with stalker and regular bolt rifles though. Honestly if you put me on the spot I'm not sure I could tell you which is which at a glance, aside from the auto bolt rifles.

Edited by quasistellar

The stratagem to make them auto hit is expensive, 1CP to make the detachment Indomitus Crusaders, 1CP to make a unit of Intercessors "veterans" then 1CP for the Bolt Storm stratagem. Yes they auto hit but for 3CP is it worth it?

Its only 2 CP. Its just a normal stratagem in the new codex now. No need for the special detachment.

These are old and irrelevant rules.

Refer to the new codex and FAQ.

Its auto bolt rifles that auto hit for 2 cps, stalkers have the snipe characters one for 3 cps.

Its auto bolt rifles that auto hit for 2 cps, stalkers have the snipe characters one for 3 cps.

For clarity and completion it's important to note that the sniper stalker strat also includes mortal wounds on wound rolls of 6+.

I think that's a strat that can definitely help in a pinch but I would not suggest building a list or gameplan around using it.

An odd question, has anybody magnetized their intecessors' bolt rifles? And how?

Yes I have. It is really easy. I use 0.5mmx1mm magnets. Only need one in each part. Once done it is plenty sturdy enough for the table top. It is best to do the drilling and inserting of the magnet whilst still attached to the sprue.

Edited by Subtleknife

We shouldn't just be comparing the weapon profiles but the function of the unit.

Intercessors equipped with Stalkers are best deployed as a stationary objective holder in cover. They are very effective and durable this way, and the range is substantial.

We shouldn't just be comparing the weapon profiles but the function of the unit.

Intercessors equipped with Stalkers are best deployed as a stationary objective holder in cover. They are very effective and durable this way, and the range is substantial.

Absolutely true.

Do not underestimate the value of these shots re-rolling wounds against a target lit up by a certain Ultra relic ;)

Building a load of Intercessors at the moment (Some for Wolves, some for Imperial Fists) and keep swinging wildly between what to go for! Think a unit of 5 stalkers for each army and the rest as Standard Bolt Rifles? Or are people thinking the assault version are looking good now?

Stalkers look really good for sure, especially with the Heavy Doctrine on in the first turn.