Latest Smite Rules for T-Sons?

Byrd

Hi guys,

I play T-Sons non-competitively, and it seems like no one really knows what the latest rules for Smite are, or where to find them. Some opponents are happy to play with the Codex rules, some with the April 2018 Big FAQ update, and someone told me that there has been an update to Smite since then, but couldn't find it.

Some opponents say that T-Sons are still affected by the cumulative +1 to cast for characters, even when Battle-forged. Others say that Battle-forged T-Sons aren't affected by the +1 to cast Smite.

I am confused and just want to play the most up-to-date rule. Does anyone know what it is and where to find it?

Thanks!

Battle forged is irrelevant, all matched play armies are battle forged so that term only matters for open play.

Its the Brotherhood of Sorcerers that gets round the smite rule according to Chapter Approved 2018 which is a legion trait so requires an extra layer on top of Battle Forged (a mixed Tzeentch or Heretic astartes detachment is still a legal battle forged detachment).

Edited by Closet Skeleton

So, Smite hasn't been updated since the Psychic Focus rule in 2018?

Okay, so am I correct in thinking that a battle-forged T-Sons battalion won't have any penalties to its Smite?

That's not entirely accurate. TS Psykers ignore the penalty but it still stacks. So if you have non-TS psykers in an allied detachment they need to cast smite first. If you have say a Changecaster and Ahriman and Ahriman casts smite and then the Changecaster casts smite he has to deal with the negative modifier, but if the Changecaster goes first the the cast has no modifier and Ahriman can ignore it.

Thanks for the all the input.

Just to add a bit more confusion...the way it was previously explained to me, was that Aspiring Sorcs didn't have the +1 to their Smite cast, but characters did. He couldn't find the rule, but insisted it was true, so I played a couple of games with that rule, but I could never find it myself.

So, thanks again for clearing it up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this only applies to brotherhood of sorcerers. So aspiring sorcerers would also suffer the negative penalty.

Again yes and no. "Brotherhood of Sorcerers" applies to PSYKERS in a THOUSAND SONS detachment. Rubric Marines have the PSYKER keyword, so they ignore the penalty as well.

Thanks for the all the input.

Just to add a bit more confusion...the way it was previously explained to me, was that Aspiring Sorcs didn't have the +1 to their Smite cast, but characters did. He couldn't find the rule, but insisted it was true, so I played a couple of games with that rule, but I could never find it myself.

So, thanks again for clearing it up.

He is likely confusing the fact that Aspiring Sorcerers and SOT sorcerers get mini smite instead of full frontal smite.

Aspiring and SOT sorcerers are covered by the brotherhood of psychers rule so no penalty.