How to Base - Crackle Paint

Great video. I wanted to mention a few tips that weren't covered.

• A thin layer of PVA glue helps to exaggerate the cracking effect, creating larger cracks.
  • Depending upon the effect you are going for you might also want to have a more dramatic contrast between the base coat and the crackle color.
  • A wash helps lock down the crackle paint so it won't flake off.

This is the stage where the Crackle was finally dry. Notice the center to the top left, the base had a slight depression in which more of the PVA glue pooled.

med_gallery_8790_15000_1812940.jpg

This is after using GW's yellow wash, all of the flakes are secured.

med_gallery_8790_15000_1256348.jpg

Great video. I wanted to mention a few tips that weren't covered.

• A thin layer of PVA glue helps to exaggerate the cracking effect, creating larger cracks.
  • Depending upon the effect you are going for you might also want to have a more dramatic contrast between the base coat and the crackle color.

This is the stage where the Crackle was finally dry. Notice the center to the top left, the base had a slight depression in which more of the PVA glue pooled.

med_gallery_8790_15000_1812940.jpg

This is after using GW's yellow wash, all of the flakes are secured.

med_gallery_8790_15000_1256348.jpg

Those are great tips! Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the video and tips, guys.

I just used some Martian Ironearth for the first time and while the effect looks great, I used Rhinox Hide on the base and it's so dark in contrast as to be almost black. I got a really good crackle so a lot of the base shows through.

I'm a bit concerned about using a wash because I really don't want it to dry glossy, and it seems like an extra step - I figure if I start with a slightly lighter base paint and then drybrush I can get a shadow and highlight without. Does this seem like an ok idea to you guys? What colour would you put underneath Martian Ironearth, a darker red, or maybe a lighter brown than Rhinox Hide?